utensil suggestions?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2011, 06:44 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Levi is starting to deny food if he can't feed himself. Doesn't want anything off a spoon and really wants to eat his food with a fork. Problem is, he doesn't have the patience to even get close to doing it. The utensils just end up as drumsticks, then he screams at his food.

How do you help teach a LO to use utensils? I'm not even sure what hand dominant he is. He uses both it seems.

What utensils do you use for your LOs? None of the forks seem to be stabby enough and the handles still seem too long/thin for his abilities.

March 22nd, 2011, 06:49 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have some Minnie ones we found at Walmart that Abby likes. The handles are thicker for small hands and the fork part is metal so it actually holds food.

They also sell the curved forks, suppose to be easier to get to the mouth but we never used them.

Sometimes I poke the food onto the fork and then hand it to Abby and she puts it in her mouth.
Sometimes I use two forks. She has one that she tries to do herself and I have one that I poke the food on and let her do or I sneak one in every once in awhile when she's working on doing her own. lol

March 22nd, 2011, 06:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
We use the take and toss forks and spoons (plastic and dull) and mostly stab it for her, she does like to pretend it's a shovel and that works.

We also have this spoon, fork, and knife set with super fat, round, textures handles, and their metal, those the fork's prongs in the middle are sharper to actually pierce the food, but the outside two are rounded more and are a bit longer.. I'll try to find a picture.. She does really well with this one..

here it is:

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
March 22nd, 2011, 09:26 AM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
^ We have those too. We also have some Gerber utensils that are metal but don't have the rounded edge which tends to make it easier for them to poke with.

Honestly I don't have any suggestions. We just kind of let him go at his food at he always makes a huge mess. This morning I gave him yogurt with a spoon and now he's a hot crusty mess. I don't make a big deal about the mess I just tell him "use your spoon, not your hand" and then he tries to take a couple bites and is right back to using his hand. He hates being fed by us unless he's tired so I would rather clean the mess than deal with him fighting food.

March 22nd, 2011, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gr8kiddos View Post
This morning I gave him yogurt with a spoon and now he's a hot crusty mess. I don't make a big deal about the mess I just tell him "use your spoon, not your hand" and then he tries to take a couple bites and is right back to using his hand. He hates being fed by us unless he's tired so I would rather clean the mess than deal with him fighting food.
I would never think to just let him go at it with yogurt. I think part of it is because we don't have a washer... all I can think is "well that's going to sit in the dirty all week stinking!"

Now that it's starting to get warmer out, I should just have him in a diaper and wash him down when he's done.

March 22nd, 2011, 10:45 AM
We have the take and toss and the ones Nicole posted a picture of, I hate both! Neither work well. The take and toss aren't sharp enough and it just falls off and the other ones are pretty much the same. The fat ends make the food just fall off and it's more frustrating than good.

March 22nd, 2011, 11:03 AM
This is the type we like. They come in many many different characters.

Walmart.com: The First Years - 4 Piece Toddler Feeding Set, Disney Toy Story, BPA Free: Feeding

March 22nd, 2011, 12:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Paula~ View Post
We have the take and toss and the ones Nicole posted a picture of, I hate both! Neither work well. The take and toss aren't sharp enough and it just falls off and the other ones are pretty much the same. The fat ends make the food just fall off and it's more frustrating than good.
Really??? We've have yet to have a problem, other than with steak... They've poked into everything, and nothing falls off anymore often than the reg. metal gerber ones and the cartoon character ones...

We have a lot of kids silverware here.

I do highly believe in stripping down to a diaper at meal time, and tossing kids into the sink for a rinse down after. Do you know how much it stinks that the boys aren't little enough to do this with anymore???

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
March 22nd, 2011, 12:54 PM
Yeah, the take and toss are too flat with the prong things and is just falls off and the others are two fat with those round nubbies. I like the spoons for take and toss, those the baby ones are too small now.

We have a lot of silverware too for the kids. My favorites are mine from when I was little. LOL

March 22nd, 2011, 01:22 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Right now Xander doesn't use any utensils so I have no advice.

Sorry

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

March 22nd, 2011, 03:22 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lucy just uses the same as Jassie. They are like ours but smaller. She does really good with them.

These ones, except we have also have the knife for Jassie.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

Last edited by MellieB; March 22nd, 2011 at 03:29 PM.
March 22nd, 2011, 11:22 PM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
So after I posted this I took the kids to Trader Joes and put a bucket hat on Abe to hide his crusted yogurt hair... Yes, I am too lazy to bath the kids by myself at this point in my pregnancy and I'm not ashamed to admit it to you ladies. ...and wouldn't you know it that the cashier took his hat off his head in an attempt to get him to smile. Who does that?! Normally I wouldn't have cared but since I allowed my child to go out in public looking like a filthy heathen, I was mortified. So what did I do? I pretended that it was perfectly normal that his blonde hair was purple and crusty

I hope this sends you into a laughing fit that will break your water

March 23rd, 2011, 06:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy

March 23rd, 2011, 06:10 AM
Rofl

March 23rd, 2011, 06:19 AM
Hayley! It's been a few months where if Levi is going to get a bath, it's DH that has to do it.

Thanks for the suggestions! We have the ones with the rubber handles and metal tips and some plain metal ones. Maybe he's just not ready... I feel like he needs something much fatter and shorter . I feel bad for him, though, he really wants to be able to do it, but doesn't put any effort in before he gets frustrated.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search