Extended rear facing car seats

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How many of you have your little ones still rear facing? Billy is forward facing, but I have been researching that rear facing is 5 times safer. I am thinking I should be changing his car seat to be rear facing. Can I do that in a convertible car seat?

Thanks to Nicole *MommaDucks* for my siggy

March 23rd, 2011, 11:33 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've only ever had Ben in a convertible. They usually do both rear and forward. I switched Ben 5 mo ago to forward facing because car trips had become unbearable. Seriously he would scream until he was choking. Also would fight me tooth and nail while I was trying to even get him in. I turned him and now he helps me with his straps. He hated not being able to see and I think the reclined position of rear facing had him feeling out of control. I know it's safer to do rear, but life had become miserable any time we had to go anywhere.
March 23rd, 2011, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherineclare View Post
I've only ever had Ben in a convertible. They usually do both rear and forward. I switched Ben 5 mo ago to forward facing because car trips had become unbearable. Seriously he would scream until he was choking. Also would fight me tooth and nail while I was trying to even get him in. I turned him and now he helps me with his straps. He hated not being able to see and I think the reclined position of rear facing had him feeling out of control. I know it's safer to do rear, but life had become miserable any time we had to go anywhere.
I guess I'll just have to see how Billy reacts to it. Who knows, knowing him, he will like it one week and hate it the next.

March 23rd, 2011, 11:56 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Abby is forward facing as well. She has ALWAYS hated being in the van, ALWAYS! Turning her forward has helped a little. Honest to God she'd scream at the top of her lungs any time we went anywhere and trust me, that was more unsafe than being forward facing. It made me want to drive into a bridge over pass just to get the screaming to stop.
She's still not pleasant but at least the screaming has become an annoying whine. Forward facing Emily can help entertain her and she can watch a dvd if it's a longer trip.

Last edited by ~Paula~; March 23rd, 2011 at 12:13 PM.
March 23rd, 2011, 12:00 PM
So I won't be an awful mom if I try it and decide not to continue with it? I know that there are some new carseat regulations being debated about extended rear facing.

Last edited by *Jennifer*; March 23rd, 2011 at 12:05 PM.
March 23rd, 2011, 12:04 PM
Ok, then I'll remove my reply to there.

March 23rd, 2011, 12:07 PM
lol...I decided to keep it here. I really have nothing to hide. I was going to mention another forum, but decided against it.

March 23rd, 2011, 12:09 PM
LMAO It is a topic to cause debate.

I don't think you're awful. My kids may be forward facing but they are strapped in tight, ALWAYS in their seats, etc...
There is a new booster seat law here, that requires children to be in a booster until the age of 8, which I like because of the seat belts and necks, etc...
But the forward/rear debate, I just ignore. I do what works for me and my family and wish others would respect that decision.

March 23rd, 2011, 12:15 PM
I know. I am thinking I shouldn't have posted the topic. I like that our PR is debate free.

March 23rd, 2011, 12:29 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto to what Paula said. I can totally sympathize to the wanting to drive your car into something lol! Bens screaming and choking was making me lose focus. This was even with his brother in the back trying to entertain him. He's a curious child and likes to see everything. Forward facing he watches the road and the sights and is now happy going places. He's always in tight and secure.

Jennifer you're not a horrible mom at all! Do what's best for you and Billy
March 23rd, 2011, 02:15 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The laws are different here. Babies only have to be RF till 6 months (and the car seat companies only make seats to fit this law for a baby on the 90%ile). We waited with Lucy till she outgrew her infant seat. She's been FF for a while now. Longer than any other baby here.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

March 23rd, 2011, 03:24 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I thought those recommendations had been around for years. Now I'm seeing a huge fuss and debates over them.

I'm going to keep Levi RF as long as possible, but that might not be too much longer. He has 6lbs left until he reaches the weight for RF. Unless the new baby grows out of the carrier before Levi reaches the limit, then we'll get one with a higher limit. Levi really does not mind facing the rear.

I think you should do what works for you. I agree with Paula, that you're probably more likely to get in an accident if your kid is screaming their lungs out every time you get in the car. I know I'd be distracted at least.

Just out of curiosity... did the mirrors that you hang from the headrests get banned or something? One of the reasons I hear for turning kids around early is because parents can't see them. We can see Levi perfectly with that mirror. I wasn't sure if there was a reason people weren't using them.

March 23rd, 2011, 04:19 PM
We had a mirror but it would turn and twist and eventually just got knocked off and never put back. But me turning Abby had nothing to do with not seeing her, it was for my sanity. LOL

I also think with all the side airbags and such that they have now, cars can't get much safer.

Monica, I think you'll be surprised how long it takes Levi to gain those 6 pounds. They go from 6-20 quickly and then from 20-30 it takes forever, at least for mine it did.

March 23rd, 2011, 04:35 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Paula~ View Post
Monica, I think you'll be surprised how long it takes Levi to gain those 6 pounds. They go from 6-20 quickly and then from 20-30 it takes forever, at least for mine it did.
What about 30-35? He's at 29 now .

March 23rd, 2011, 04:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Bailey was *just* turned around Sunday. I went to get in the car and Tom had turned it around, he got sick of looking at her legs being folded. I'm turning it back around, 1. for the safety, and 2. The boys are in the third row, so she can't see them facing forward.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
March 23rd, 2011, 05:42 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jennifer you are not a bad mommy at all.

I think what ever works for your family then do it.

Xander is RF in my car and FF in Dh's car since that car seat is not meant to be RF.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

March 23rd, 2011, 06:58 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We just switched Tegan around this weekend. It was getting too hard to get her in a out with her legs all folded up and she started screaming when we put her in.
March 23rd, 2011, 08:21 PM
He's that big?? Wow! Emily is just 32 pounds! She'll be 4 in June! LOL

March 23rd, 2011, 10:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
I also have Elise ff, you should not feel bad for having him that way it is whatever you decide and Monica Elise is just a few ounces under 30lbs after losing a little over a pound from being sick so even if she was still rf she wouldnt be able to much longer

March 24th, 2011, 06:15 AM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
yes they can definitely be rear facing in a convertable carseat. a lot of people don't realize it but convertable carseats start around 5lbs and can go up to 40/60 or more pounds. Catie is still rear facing and I plan to keep her that way until she's around 35lbs. That's how long she can remain rear facing in the carseat she has. Right now she's around 21lbs so we have a while to go, before I'll turn her around.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search