Half Birthday

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 30th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Mystic_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mystic_Mommy
Hard to believe Saige is 18 Months today! We have an appointment scheduled today to have our pictures taken in our home and I am looking forward to that I really like this age, her personality is really starting to show and she is learning so much Ever since she was born I have been keeping a word document on my computer to track her development and mark milestones. I'm at 28 pages now of information I've collected over the last year and a half. Everything from doctor appointments to first steps and interesting personality traits. Every six months I make a large entry, sort of a review of things that she's doing at this point and what she's like. Other entries are more notes than anything. If you're interested, here is what I wrote for 18 months (warning: kinda long)

March 30, 2011 – Day #546 (78 Weeks or 18 Months)

18 Months (One Year & Six Months) Review:

I have been observing lots of changes in Saige this past month, and it is exciting to see her personality bloom and interests develop. She is at an age now where she and her sister Rayne can play together a little easier and Saige watches Rayne with such curiosity, constantly learning through her. Saige has started copying everything Rayne does. Rayne stomps her feet in a puddle so Saige will do the same, Rayne picks a dandelion and Saige searches to find one as well, Rayne balances while walking across stepping stones and Saige will follow. The other day Rayne wanted to throw pebbles so Saige picked up a small stone just to toss it into the open cult-d-sac.
Motor Skills:On that note, I just realized that Saige has begun throwing overhand. Also she can kick a ball in a forward direction. Saige doesn’t really jump up and down but she does Jump around and dance. I love watching her join in with Rayne as they twirl to music! She runs well too and loves having her shoes on. Saige climbs all over things and she is starting to trust herself more and be more daring. Recently she has been getting down from our bed in the morning and wandering upstairs on her own and our bed is a ways off the ground. It seems Saige has an interest in taking things apart and putting them back together. She can’t always get things to go back together but she certainly tries! She loves anything that has a lid because she can pull it off and then put it back on. A neighbor recently told me that she thinks Saige will be mechanical when she is grown, because her son was much the same way.
I guess Saige is at that age where she starts to undress herself and for the most part she’s pretty good at doing it on her own. For some reason last night she wanted to be naked and as I helped her undress she did most of the work herself. Then she took off her socks and diaper alone. When she eats I always give Saige a spoon or fork (toddler ones) and she handles them well and seems to enjoy using them. As she grows stronger Saige has become faster and more skilled with getting around. She has great balance and she is able to get up and down our stairs quickly. She still goes down by crawling backwards but she now practically slides on her stomach to get to the bottom faster – lol. Sometimes I just hold her hand and we will walk up the stairs to get used to handling them a different way.
Behavior: Despite wanting to imitate her sister though, Saige has become quite independent! She doesn’t always wish to follow and listen to instruction, often she tries wandering off on her own to explore her curiosities. When she wants me to follow she will motion to me with her hand outstretched and flexing her fingers toward her. With this new found discovery of freedom and self, with it come some trying behavioral complications. Her attitude often mimics Rayne as well, such as crossing her arms (or more like hugging her arms as she doesn’t really get them crossed) when she has no interest in listening to me or throwing her arms down to express her discontent. Her temper tantrums make me think that the terrible twos have come a little early, as I watch her lay herself down on the ground (prone, aka on her stomach) and flail her arms and legs. This is often accompanied by a forced cry.
Communication & Understanding: The upside to her self-reliance however is her ability to communicate to us what it is she wants or needs. Not only does she have a vast vocabulary for 18 months old, we have recorded more than 60 different words, but she uses body language and tone of voice to help get her point across. She will come up to me and say “Mommy, Eat!” or she will just climb onto a chair to get into her high chair all by herself. When she wants to leave the house she will bring me her shoes and coat saying “Thank You” and once they are on she’ll repeat “Bye!” For a while now she has been combining words but they are getting more frequent and she’s saying new varieties. For example: “Please Up” or “I Want Up”, “Ewe Poop”, “Thank You”, and “Love You Too”. Saige understands the difference between yes and no and now that she is able to say both clearly it has made it easier to figure out what she wants. Sometimes I forget just how much she does understand until she does something to catch me off guard. For example: A while ago I told Rayne I needed to use the restroom and that I would be right back, but Saige heard me. Saige was walking away till she caught my conversation with Rayne and then she turned a 180 and started booking it to the bathroom. We have started spelling words so she will not catch on to certain things. Not only does Saige understand one part instructions but she can also comprehend simple two part instructions such as “Please pick up the crayons and put them in the basket.”
Personality Quirks: My Mother-In-Law thinks Saige may be slightly OCD (Obsessive Compulsive) because of how particular she is. We have noticed that she actually prefers to put things back in their correct spot rather than just drop things anywhere, which is awesome from my perspective because my 18 month old actually picks up and puts things away – lol. She loves to help me around the house too. Saige likes to take care of herself, especially when it comes to cleaning her face. She actually enjoys blowing her nose, wiping her cheeks, brushing her teeth, feeding herself, etc. Most often she prefers to do things herself rather than be helped. For example: Saige doesn’t like me to feed her solid foods, but she loves being in her high chair feeding herself.
Saige has a pretty good understanding of what things are hers, and even if they don’t strictly belong to her she makes it clear when she wants something. Already my girls are fighting over toys and other things. The other day we were outside and I brought with us Rayne’s big girl bike and Saige’s Pooh Activity Ride-On toy. After playing for a little while we set the toys aside and spent some time running around in the fresh air, but Rayne decided to push some of the buttons on Saige’s car. As soon as Saige saw Rayne doing this she got upset, started squealing and saying (in an angry tone) “No No! Mine!” Not the first time she has become possessive over her things.
Interests: Right now Saige really enjoys stacking things and usually I give her the small spice jars (plastic) to play with. So far I have seen her stack as many as six on top of one another, almost seven… and the only reason why she couldn’t get that last one on was because it was too tall for her – she was on a chair and building her tower on the Kitchen counter. She also loves watching either her all time favorite show My Friends Tigger & Pooh or the Tinker Bell movies. Her attention span amazes me! She can sit through an entire Tinker Bell movie or watch several episodes of Pooh. She also enjoys drawing/scribbling/coloring, just like her big sister. She even holds the pen/pencil/crayon correctly! I thought before that she might be left handed but now it seems she predominately uses her right, although she does still use her left from time to time. Saige draws lines really well and prefers to color on the same paper as her sister rather than her own. She definitely enjoys being a part of what others are doing!
Saige loves to play and act out with toys like her big sister does. She is so sweet with dolls, making them walk around and giving them kisses. She enjoys tickling us and sometimes attacks us by surprise so that we will play with her. Rayne and Saige will chase one another up and down the hallway and play little versions of hide and go seek with one another (basically Rayne runs off and hides behind the couch and a Saige will hear her giggling, go find her, and laugh hysterically when Rayne squeals). Saige also enjoys quieter things such as puzzles, building blocks, legos, coloring, movies, books, and any anything she wants to figure out (such as things that open and shut in different ways or come apart & fit together, etc). She has been working on her peg puzzles and actually gets the pieces in correctly a lot of the time but she shows less interest in puzzles than Rayne did. One thing Saige really enjoys though is playing outdoors. She is always bringing me her shoes and wanting to go explore outside.

Sorry that was so long winded, if you read this far Props to you! Thanks for listening

March 30th, 2011, 04:01 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is an awesome idea. I love it.

Love her little personality quirks. There is nothing wrong with her putting her toys away. Lucy's fave thing to do is pick things up off the floor and put them in the bin. At least someone cleans up after themselves!

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

March 30th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
I loved reading that! Man! I wish I thought of doing something like that! I think me needs to go through my blog posts now and try to find a way to go through all my FB posts. I did not keep track of nearly as much with Bailey (Or especially Collin) as I did with Thomas..

She sounds like such a smart, fun, sweet little girl.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
March 31st, 2011, 09:28 AM
Mystic_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mystic_Mommy
Thanks! Yeah I wasn't as great with doing this with Rayne, something I somewhat regretted. I have enjoyed keeping track of things with Saige even though I'm not sure what I'll do with the information, well worth it

March 31st, 2011, 11:31 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Happy 18 month bday Saige!
March 31st, 2011, 06:24 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Happy 18 month birthday Saige.

SOunds like she is becoming a bright independent little girl

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search