Big girl bed help

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
Ok thought I would ask this here instead of the DDC. So Liana will be exactly 2 when this new baby comes and I don't want to have 2 cribs. Should I get a toddler bed or just a normal twin bed? Also how did you transition them from the crib to the big bed? I just don't want her falling out or up and moving around. I am also thinking of keeping the new one in the pack and play in our room for a while so I could wait even longer to change beds with her. Ug I always thought I would just keep her crib and convert it but now I think I am changing my mind!! Help.

April 11th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
So Elise will be exactly 2 also when this baby comes also i am setting up a twin bed and getting a bed rail and planning to keep baby in my room for a few months but if Elise doesn't seem ready to transition i will just buy anther crib or a better bassinet for baby.
But it is really up to you what you want to do i would follow her cues when you get there

April 11th, 2011, 02:53 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Personally, I'd go with a normal twin. You can then put a railing on it to stop her falling out.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

April 11th, 2011, 03:41 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd do a twin too. It lasts longer. I'm not speaking from experience though... I'm still not sure what we're doing here once Ezra outgrows the cradle.

April 11th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Personally I was NOT ready to switch Collin when Bailey came (22 mos old at the time.) He stayed in the crib until Bailey was 8 mos old, so 2.5 years old.

Bailey was in the bassinet for the first 7 mos, then in the PNP for a few weeks before we made the switch..

With Thomas, as soon as I found out I was pregnant with Collin I converted his crib to a toddler to get him used to it, and into a twin for when Collin came. That was when he reverted back to cosleeping with us full time.. (He was 19-20 mos at the time)

So in short, I'd use the pack n play for the new baby for a while, and keep her in the crib. But I also DREAD the switch like the plague.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
April 11th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
My kids are exactly 2 years apart... One late September baby the other a October baby.

I'm with Nicole on this.. We did not switch when A.J arrived.. We kept Adriana in her crib until she was 2 1/2 years old. We kept A.J in the pack in play in our room and we also co-slept..

We had such an easy transition.. She helped put her bed together.. She picked out her sheets and her curtains (canopy bed), she picked out the lights to go on her bed.. She was involved in the whole process.. Her first night was a success! She stays in her bed with no problem.. It was that easy!

I would suggest buying a twin bed.. Have her get involved when you set up her bed.. She may understand more at 2 1/2 verses right at two years old.. This is what worked for us, but whatever you decide.. Good luck..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; April 11th, 2011 at 10:43 PM.
April 12th, 2011, 07:01 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I personally wouldn't buy a toddler bed to me they are a waste of $$. Just get a twin.

you can also get rails to put up so she won't fall out.

good luck

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

April 12th, 2011, 11:53 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
It was suggested to me that instead of setting up the whole twin bed, just put the mattress on the floor while they are getting used to the bed situation. Then as he gets older, add the frame (like when he can get in and out steadily himself). That way he won't get hurt if he rolls out or gets up at night.

With us, we are getting a second crib. Liam does not sleep through the night regularly and I can not imagine that it is going to change greatly by the time the baby gets here. He will likely be 23 months or so when the babe comes. I just don't want to rush things with him. The baby will be with us for a while in the beginning, so we shall see if we even need the second crib. But either way, I don't consider it wasted money Good luck deciding!

Super big thanks to Jaidynsmum for my cool siggy!
April 13th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
I think at this point we are going to wait until we get closer to this baby coming. I used the pack and play with the bassinet thing for DD for a while so I don't see why this one can't stay in there too. Plus that will give her time to get "older"

I like the idea of converting her crib and seeing how she does and then go from there.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search