Mixed Up Monday!

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2011, 09:53 PM
katidid622's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you often mix-up the use of similar words such as "your vs you're", "buy vs by vs bye", "their vs there vs they're", "here vs hear", "to vs two vs too", "sense vs since", "whether vs weather", etc...?

Does it bother you when others mix-up the words?

Were you good in English class in school?

Do you LIKE JustMommies? Help us get to 5,000 fans!
May 22nd, 2011, 10:18 PM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I rarely/almost never make those mistakes.

Yes...it bugs the heck out of me when people are grammatically incorrect!

English was always a strong subject for me in school...but I hate writing essays!!! P
May 23rd, 2011, 02:48 AM
kristianna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't usually mess them upbut the longer I am away from English speaking countries the worse my grammar gets. I did do pretty well in English classes in highschool even took IB. english but I also was placed in an ESL class when we first moved to the USA as a child.

Thank you Vicki for the BEEautiful siggie!

May 23rd, 2011, 04:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
No, I NEVER mess them up...English was one of my minors in college. It does bug me a little when I see those mistakes, but I realize not everyone is as anal as I am about grammar and spelling . Wierd confession...I am worried about the generations of kids growing up now with so much texting and social media because I think they are not going to be able to write a coherent sentence to save their lives.
May 23rd, 2011, 07:10 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
This is a huge pet-peeve of mine!

I try very hard not to mess them up! Every now and then, while quickly responding to a text or something, I'll write the wrong one, but I almost always catch it and correct it!

Another pet-peeve: Using the same word multiple times in the same sentence. For instance- I almost wrote, "Every once in a while, while quickly..." but it annoyed me to see the word "while" twice in a row, so I changed it to, "Every now and then...". That one was more obvious, but I'll change it even if they are separated in a long sentence. Yeah, I' weird like that.

Last edited by GranolaMamaOf3; May 23rd, 2011 at 07:13 AM.
May 23rd, 2011, 07:20 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBugMommyof1 View Post
I rarely/almost never make those mistakes.

Yes...it bugs the heck out of me when people are grammatically incorrect!

English was always a strong subject for me in school...but I hate writing essays!!! P
Ditto ^ I was also really good in english, and a strong subject I always got A's!, but I love writing stories as I still do when I find time! I can write an essay if needed, but I really prefer to be creative and write what comes to my mind!

May 23rd, 2011, 08:40 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
I almost never mix those up and it drives me bat **** crazy when I see people who constantly do.
English was always one of my best subjects. (AP with honors in high school baby. )
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
May 23rd, 2011, 09:10 AM
Capns Girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthDoulaToBe View Post
This is a huge pet-peeve of mine!

I try very hard not to mess them up! Every now and then, while quickly responding to a text or something, I'll write the wrong one, but I almost always catch it and correct it!

Another pet-peeve: Using the same word multiple times in the same sentence. For instance- I almost wrote, "Every once in a while, while quickly..." but it annoyed me to see the word "while" twice in a row, so I changed it to, "Every now and then...". That one was more obvious, but I'll change it even if they are separated in a long sentence. Yeah, I' weird like that.
Ditto^^^ Though I take it up a notch. I have a hard time seeing the same word more than once in a paragraph.....it sounds funky to me!!!

May 23rd, 2011, 09:36 AM
katidid622's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can add me to the list of people that this drives crazy! Kristen, I agree with you on the proper grammar of kids now-a-days. I have no problem with people short-handing, but when you can no longer type out "someone" and have to put "sumone" that is taking it too far. I seriously have to bite my tongue on Facebook sometimes! Other things like "Ima" instead of "I'm gonna" or "prolly" instead of "probably"...ugh!

I actually was never a fan of English class. I was more of a math and science girl. But I still did good in English class.

Do you LIKE JustMommies? Help us get to 5,000 fans!
May 23rd, 2011, 11:04 AM
ForestJenn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmmph. I also have an English minor (8 credits short of a second major), took AP English in highschool, and was in the Honor's program at universtiy. And I STILL make typographical errors all the time in casual settings. Heck, I often leave entire words out of a sentence. It means that I'm careless about going back to reread forum and FB posts. It doesn't mean I'm ignorant.

Now, what bugs me? Deliberate mispellings like U, THX, and spell checkers telling me to get rid of my extraneous vowels since I tend to use a mish mash of American and European spellings. It's a hazard of my reading habits.

Loving every minute of being a mommy!

Tags
monday , monday qotd , qotd

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search