What "rules" do you not follow?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2011, 07:01 PM
mommabirdof4
Like I am microwaving the boys bottles...I make up a days worth of bottles once aday in order to make feeding go smoother...so before feeding I microwave them for 20 seconds...I know "they" say not to but I don't want to have to buy two bottle warmers when I can just use the microwave.

What things have you done or do that is against the "rules" or what "they" say is the "right" way to do it?
June 22nd, 2011, 07:56 PM
LindsAyla's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh, I'm sure I've done MANY things to break rules including what you just said above! Btw...this is something you might be interested in. I bought it for my sis, and she loves it!
Amazon.com: Dr. Brown's Formula Mixing Pitcher: Baby

One of the big things I did was let Ayla sleep in her swing...sometimes even when it was moving! She was having reflux issues and uti issues (that we weren't aware of at the time). The swing helped lure her back to sleep everytime she woke up bc she peed and it burned

I can't remember a lot of the other things...it feels like it's been so long, but I'm sure I'll break the same rules with baby Maddox. You as a mommy knows what's best for you and your babies...who cares about rules!
June 22nd, 2011, 08:09 PM
mommabirdof4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsAyla View Post
Btw...this is something you might be interested in. I bought it for my sis, and she loves it!
Amazon.com: Dr. Brown's Formula Mixing Pitcher: Baby
I have one and I LOVE it...It saves soooooo much time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
June 22nd, 2011, 09:02 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Family bed from birth on, not washing with baby detergent always, Leila slept in baby swing a LOT, Owen was a belly sleeper from early on, etc. Plus, shhhhhhh I don't take my prenatal vitamins like I should!!!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

June 22nd, 2011, 09:07 PM
starryeyedme04's Avatar Jamie <3
Send a message via AIM to starryeyedme04 Send a message via Yahoo to starryeyedme04
Let's see.. i couldnt take prenatals with Ansley so after like week 14 or something, i stopped. My dr actually didn't push me into taking them, he was fine.. they made my nausea more intense. Umm.. i always warmed bottles up in the microwave...ansley has been sleepign in her bouncey chair for the past 3 nights bc she sleeps longer and it's easier to turn her head to the left side (she favors her right side so we don't want her to get a flat head like DS did so we are starting the preventive measures early with her.) and keep it there... ummm she sleeps in our bed too...

I'm sure there are others ive broken but i cant think of them LOL.

oh! umm i sometimes don't wash the nipples or paci's before i use them, i just take them out of the box (ew).. umm i dont wash new clothes unless i have a load already about to be washed.. my kids eat stuff they drop on the ground depending on where we are...

oh! umm i sometimes don't wash the nipples or paci's before i use them, i just take them out of the box (ew).. umm i dont wash new clothes unless i have a load already about to be washed.. my kids eat stuff they drop on the ground depending on where we are...

June 22nd, 2011, 09:41 PM
ashbbrunton's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
lol...this is a great thread! Addi slept in the swing with it moving for months!! I fed Addi from the baby food container and even if she didn't finish it, it went in the fridge and we ate from it later. I was lucky to have a bottle warmer, but if I didn't I sooo would have microwaved. She had scrambled eggs before the recommended time, I propped her bottle up a time or two. lol Man I was terrible! lol And.....I'm over it! lol

Thank You so much Typical Vampire for my Gorgeous Siggy!!!!

June 22nd, 2011, 10:46 PM
AndreaRenee's Avatar raising boys...
oh gosh, I'm a rule breaker.... you gotta do what you gotta do is my motto.

the only rules I'm strict about are... no soda, no candy.
June 23rd, 2011, 05:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Lily slept in her moving swing for naps from whens he was 3 months old until 9-ish months. We also fed her baby food from the jar and then put it back in the fridge.

I am sure there are a million more, I just can't think of them right now.

June 23rd, 2011, 06:29 AM
Mel531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
oh tons, Im sure.....Im big on the tummy sleeping...I started out with him on his back for the first 6 weeks or so, but he was lucky if he slept 20 mins at a time. I finally got so worn out and felt so bad for him that I put him on his tummy....I knew from experience that he would sleep better, and of course he did...hours at a time. I started solids around 4 mos, with zero issues...he was more than ready and much happier afterward. I let him sleep in the bed with me often.

As a toddler...anything goes really, as long as it isnt dangerous. As long as his daily diet is balanced, I let him eat whatever he wants otherwise. I am a bit of a stickler for cleanliness...so I am bad about constantly wiping him down and not letting him eat stuff off the floor...but that is just because Im a dirt-phobe, not because I think it will hurt him any...I cant stand to see a kid with a dirty face, it just skeeves me out. In general I dont follow the "rules" that "they" put out...because the dang things are always changing. I've managed to raise 4 really healthy kids prior to J's arrival...so obviously Im not going to question myself very often.
Seth 7-6-98, and Joel 7-13-09

June 23rd, 2011, 06:31 AM
pattijwg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did not take my prenatal vitamins either.. I couldn't hold even water down so I didn't worry about them.
I let my babies sleep on their tummy. I have let Ray an ounce of coke in a cup( when you have older kids the youngers always want what they have).

I know they are more..I'm still working on my coffee..lol

Allysa 1/25/00
Victoria 4/26/06
Ray 7/24/09
June 23rd, 2011, 07:33 AM
Jade27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been using the same soother for her since she was 3 months old, according to the directions you are supposed to change them every month. Whatever.
June 23rd, 2011, 08:38 AM
mommy2eden's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Both of my kids slept in the swing for a looooong time if they were having trouble. Both kids were swaddled for a loooooooong time. I microwave my bottles for Cooper 10 seconds to get the water the correct temp - he is on formula now (bottle warmers are a huge pain in the butt in my opinion). I am sure there are more but I just do what feels right to me.

Wife to Garrett
Mother to Eden (7/13/09) and Cooper (7/28/2010)
Follower of Jesus
June 23rd, 2011, 08:59 AM
AndreaRenee's Avatar raising boys...
umm Adam slept in the swing! I didn't even know they weren't supposed to, heck if he was sleeping, I was NOT moving him. And yep baby food from the jar.
June 23rd, 2011, 07:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
oh boy! i could go on and on!

slept with blankets and stuffed animals all around her and him. warmed bottles in the microwave. i even made a pitcher of formula that i would keep in the fridge for like 48 hours. (if it went past like 2 1/2 days it got tossed) they were swaddled for a very long time, took naps in the swing, started solids around 4 mos for laili (helped her reflux as far as i'm concerned) and noah around 3 mos. (that boy was so hungry and was a happy camper after he got some cereal) ate right out of the baby food jar and went in the fridge to be used later if it wasn't finished. they eat stuff off the floor also and also depending on where we are. laili looooves coffee. (toffee mommy!)

i'm so sure there are more but i'm not thinking of them right now! like the others have said, do what works and feels right for you!

thanks so much BAM for my awesome siggy!

June 24th, 2011, 07:42 AM
SAHM_To_2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly I didn't "listen" to as much as most moms do. I judged it all on A and if I ever am able to have another I'd judge accordingly on them as well.

I didn't give fish/egg yolks or fish until DS was 1 and I did not have bumper pads in the crub as per SIDS warnings.

We did start baby cereal (not in a bottle, as I think there are warnings on that for good reason) but on a spoon at 3.5 months when DS was able hold head, and almost sit up completely unassisted as well as the week prior reached over and stole mashed motatoes off my plate and put them in his mouth then wanted more. .
We did a basinette for just under 1 month and after that he was in his crib in his own bedroom. I know many who recommend co-sleeping etc. WE did not and do not do that ever. Only unfortunate thing is now when DS is feeling sick, even though he sleeps in a full size double bed, he will now allow anyone to sleep with him. Coming in our bed seems to mean "playtime(ha), to Ds and sleep will not ensue.

I tihnk the things we didn't listen to were minor but there were many!
June 24th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I guess it depends on whose rules you're talking about. We bedshare, don't vax, Allison napped in the swing all the time, started solids a little early because she was ready (the ped didn't like that I gave her avocado as her 1st food!), I don't do jarred baby food, I weaned at 16 months from breast to a bottle, I let her have candy once in a while, sometimes we have fast food, I bribe her with m&m's to get her to pee on the toilet. I'm sure there's more that "they" frown at.

My rules are: if you pee on the toilet, you get 1 candy. For poop, you get 2.
Don't color anywhere except on your paper. Don't touch the dog's weener or butthole. Even though daddy throws the dog food from the table to make you laugh, you're not allowed to do it. Don't poke your sister in the eye and don't try to pick her up. Get your hand out of your diaper! Please don't play with Mommy's camera................That's pretty much what I tell her, daily.

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
June 24th, 2011, 10:44 AM
mommy2eden's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A lot of my friends tend to follow baby wise and it just wasn't for me, so I get the weird looks like I am not following the rules but hey, it just didn't work for me or my kids. ANd why wean them from things just because when they obviously need it (pacifier, swaddle, swing) and it makes life easier.

Wife to Garrett
Mother to Eden (7/13/09) and Cooper (7/28/2010)
Follower of Jesus
June 24th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Shannon1977's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLM View Post
Don't color anywhere except on your paper. Don't touch the dog's weener or butthole. Even though daddy throws the dog food from the table to make you laugh, you're not allowed to do it. Don't poke your sister in the eye and don't try to pick her up. Get your hand out of your diaper! Please don't play with Mommy's camera................That's pretty much what I tell her, daily.

LMAO

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggie!

June 24th, 2011, 07:14 PM
CalSara1980's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLM View Post
LOL!

I'm a rule-breaker too. I don't get painkillers during childbirth. I drink caffeine (a lot) and not enough water while breastfeeding. I let both girls sleep on their tummies starting around 6-8 weeks. I let them sleep with a warm blanket, but no bumpers or other stuff in the crib though. I coslept until 3 months. I definitely don't use special baby detergent. I pick things up off the ground (even binkies) & give them back after a quick check for large chunks of dirt or dog hair. I don't make a habit out of it, but I have propped bottles. (I did it every morning on the car ride to daycare with Hannah for about 2 months.) I once let Hannah go 3 days without a bath...recently. Both girls went in a jogging stroller by 3 months old. I let Hannah ride her bicycle without a helmet for now because she doesn't go very fast. On Mondays we bake treats together and then eat them...lots of cupcakes lately per Hannah's request. Neither of my girls liked the swing, but I have totally tried to get them to sleep in it. I thought that's what the swings were for!

[

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search