VBAC & doula question

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 23rd, 2011, 09:20 AM
*Candi*'s Avatar Candi
Did any of you have a VBAC, or are any of you planning on one for future kids?

I'm just looking into this before we start TTC and trying to figure out my options.

Has anyone used a doula? If I go the vbac route I think I might want one but I dont know much about them other than they support you through labour.

Any and all info is much appreciated!

Thank you GraysMama for an awesome siggy!

June 23rd, 2011, 09:28 AM
CaitBellLeighMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No VBAC for me. I had 2 repeat c/s.

I think the best thing to do, if you want a VBAC is visit the ICAN network and read up.

I did my homework on VBACs and in my situation it really wasn't recommended. I discussed it with my dr, and yes she was willing to try one, BUT we discussed how in my situation, it would likely end up being another c/s.

I didn't want to labor ALL that time again, just to end up in the OR, so I went with repeat c/s.

I think the best thing you can do is get all the knowledge, ask ?s of your doctor and make a decision YOU can live with

My 365 challenge My "Mommy" blog
No One can make YOU feel inferior without YOUR consent ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

June 23rd, 2011, 09:59 AM
Taramomof3's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I had a VBAC, my first was an emergency c-section and my second and third where naturals I talked to my doctor about it first, he was all for it but unfortunatly the hospital didn't do them in the town closest to me so I had to drive 40 min to a town that did but it was well worth it. Talk to you doc about it when you first find out. I started seeing the doctor that would be doing the VBAC at 32 weeks in the other town for appts instead of my regular doc. I didn't use a doula since there where none around my area at the time. It was an amazing experience!

Brianna Eve (09/12/09) Dillan Zarek (07/20/06) Chase Alexander (10/04/08)

June 23rd, 2011, 12:04 PM
*Candi*'s Avatar Candi
Thanks ladies. I'm very familiar with the ICAN site, I've been thinking/researching VBAC for over a year, so I'm not really looking for info just wanted to see if others had success.

June 23rd, 2011, 12:47 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am hoping to have a VBAC when we have another. You can look into both using a doctor who is very pro VBAC or you can look into a midwife who is backed for pro VBAC doctors.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

June 23rd, 2011, 01:35 PM
Taramomof3's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
in that case...my VBAC went really smoothly, my labor was long but I expected that haha but it was what I would conciter an easy labor and delivery I only pushed 4 times and he was out! it was an amazing feeling being able to pull my baby onto my chest and look at him right away instead of having to wait for them to cut the cord and clean him off ect I will never forget it!

Brianna Eve (09/12/09) Dillan Zarek (07/20/06) Chase Alexander (10/04/08)

June 23rd, 2011, 02:13 PM
*Candi*'s Avatar Candi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celry View Post
I am hoping to have a VBAC when we have another. You can look into both using a doctor who is very pro VBAC or you can look into a midwife who is backed for pro VBAC doctors.
My midwife practice here is very pro vbac and they work with a ob who is also very pro vbac so I am good to go there! I cant wait to get pg and meet with them to actually talk about a vbac! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramomof3 View Post
in that case...my VBAC went really smoothly, my labor was long but I expected that haha but it was what I would conciter an easy labor and delivery I only pushed 4 times and he was out! it was an amazing feeling being able to pull my baby onto my chest and look at him right away instead of having to wait for them to cut the cord and clean him off ect I will never forget it!
thats great!!!!! I like hearing success stories, it makes me feel like I can do it!

June 23rd, 2011, 07:31 PM
sugary~snails's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wish I could help!! but good luck!!
June 24th, 2011, 08:06 AM
OwensMommy25's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I attempted a VBAC, and although it wasn't successful, I'd like to share.

I had Owen (DS1) via Csection because of Maternal infection, so I was a good candidate for a VBAC. we had a short interdelivery time, Only 18 months, instead of the recommended 24 months. I used a midwife, who was very pro VBAC. I went into labour when my water broke. I had intended to have my VBAC at home. After 18hrs of unmedicated and hard labour, I went to the hospital because I would not progress. Turns out Evan was all tangled up in his cord. I needed an emergency repeat Csection, BUT my experience was awesome!! I got to try, and I feel like I did my best to get the experience I wanted. I would recommend trying for a VBAC.
I did not use a Doula, but I had a student midwife that acted as a doula for me. It was great. I would recommend having at LEAST one other support person who is knowledgeable to help. I had my cousin, DH and mom.. but the student midwife was much more helpful (shhh don't tell my husband)

Thanks to Pattyandthemoos For the wonderful siggy!

June 24th, 2011, 09:40 AM
*Candi*'s Avatar Candi
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensMommy25 View Post
I attempted a VBAC, and although it wasn't successful, I'd like to share.

I had Owen (DS1) via Csection because of Maternal infection, so I was a good candidate for a VBAC. we had a short interdelivery time, Only 18 months, instead of the recommended 24 months. I used a midwife, who was very pro VBAC. I went into labour when my water broke. I had intended to have my VBAC at home. After 18hrs of unmedicated and hard labour, I went to the hospital because I would not progress. Turns out Evan was all tangled up in his cord. I needed an emergency repeat Csection, BUT my experience was awesome!! I got to try, and I feel like I did my best to get the experience I wanted. I would recommend trying for a VBAC.
I did not use a Doula, but I had a student midwife that acted as a doula for me. It was great. I would recommend having at LEAST one other support person who is knowledgeable to help. I had my cousin, DH and mom.. but the student midwife was much more helpful (shhh don't tell my husband)
Thanks for sharing! I definitely need someone else with me other than DH, which he is ok with. We both realized that after our son was born he's really not comfortable being my 'support' which is fine. I'm considering a doula because all of my family lives 18 hours away, so its not as though I can call someone and say hey I'm in labour, come help! But we will see, once I get pg I'm going to meet with a few and see how I feel about it then

June 24th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Super Mommy
I think a strong support person would be helpful in any delivery. I think a doula is great because they are trained for it, but in my personal opinion if I could go back and re-do my births I would just want someone by my side who has gone through child birth before. My DH was a great support but I would have also liked someone who could have related to what I was going through.

I've heard lots of good VBAC stories too! I say go for it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search