He is going to be 2, not 15!

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2011, 10:32 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry that a topic I am starting is a negative one. I know I have not been on much lately. I just have to get this out, though!

My mother is driving me bonkers every time she asks how much Billy ate that day, My son is not a big eater and I won't force him to eat. He eats when he is hungry! So every day, I tell her, "He is pooping and he is active. He must be getting enough food."

I have even asked her to please stop asking me and making these sighing sounds when I tell her the answer. Also, I am tired of hearing how he needs food to grow. I am 5'5" and hubby is 5'6". There is a big possibility that Billy will also be on the short side. An increase in food is not going to change that.

Oh and as to why I put the title I did, it has to do with what happened at lunch the day before yesterday. Billy ate the entire time we were at Cheesecake Factory. He ate some of this and a little of that. Add it up and it was a decent amount. My mom still complained that he didn't eat enough. So I told her, "He is not 15! He is going to be 2. His stomach is small!"

Rant over. Thanks for reading.
August 4th, 2011, 11:24 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I feel your pain. My mother is the same. She expects both girls to eat as much as she does (which imo it 2x as what she should be). Its frustrating to be told over and over that your child doesn't eat enough when they do. Its almost like an attack on you as a parent.

Toddlers are grazers for the most part. While it may not look like they eat a lot, at the end of the day when you look back at what they did eat, its an awful lot. I refuse to force my children to be clean plate club members. If they eat everything on their plate, then so be it. If they don't, then so be that too.

Yes, he needs food to grow but no amount of food is going to outweigh genetics.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

August 5th, 2011, 06:10 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Stuff like that is one of the reasons so many kids today are overweight. Adults seem to think kids should be able to eat adult sized portions of food. As long as his doctor isn't concerned and he's growing fine then don't worry about it and tell everyone else to shut up.

August 5th, 2011, 06:49 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In one ear and out the other. I've learned that people will offer their advice whether you want it or not, so I let it go in one ear and out the other.

Only I know what works best for my children. Each and every child is different.

August 5th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
ugh, sounds like my husband! Tom is constantly on me for not making the kids finish their dinner/lunch. They mostly eat all healthy snacks (heck, all three are constantly stealing carrots/celery/apples/banana's/grapes from the fridge/counter.) Last night, Tom was getting on Thomas for not finishing his pasta but the kid had two huge bowls of salad. What's the big deal??

ITA w/ Paula, let it go in one ear and out the other. Miss you!!!

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
August 5th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellieB View Post
I feel your pain. My mother is the same. She expects both girls to eat as much as she does (which imo it 2x as what she should be). Its frustrating to be told over and over that your child doesn't eat enough when they do. Its almost like an attack on you as a parent.

Toddlers are grazers for the most part. While it may not look like they eat a lot, at the end of the day when you look back at what they did eat, its an awful lot. I refuse to force my children to be clean plate club members. If they eat everything on their plate, then so be it. If they don't, then so be that too.

Yes, he needs food to grow but no amount of food is going to outweigh genetics.
It is like an attack on me as a parent. Especially when she said that she would get him to eat once I went back to work. I bit my tongue and let it slide. I wasn't in the mood to fight because I could have easily said, "Yeah, I could get him to eat too if I offered cookies and chips every time he wouldn't eat anything else."
August 5th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ2 View Post
Stuff like that is one of the reasons so many kids today are overweight. Adults seem to think kids should be able to eat adult sized portions of food. As long as his doctor isn't concerned and he's growing fine then don't worry about it and tell everyone else to shut up.
Yep. My mom seems to forget that Billy does not have a a big tummy. Funny thing is that she tells us stories of how she would make us food when we were babies (nothing jarred) and we would just throw it up. Basically, she would feed us until it all came up. I tell her we just didn't like her food

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Paula~ View Post
In one ear and out the other. I've learned that people will offer their advice whether you want it or not, so I let it go in one ear and out the other.

Only I know what works best for my children. Each and every child is different.

Exactly! I am his mother and I know what his needs are. I also know if he hasn't pooped that day, he is likely not going to eat much. I know how my kid works!
August 5th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaDucks View Post
ugh, sounds like my husband! Tom is constantly on me for not making the kids finish their dinner/lunch. They mostly eat all healthy snacks (heck, all three are constantly stealing carrots/celery/apples/banana's/grapes from the fridge/counter.) Last night, Tom was getting on Thomas for not finishing his pasta but the kid had two huge bowls of salad. What's the big deal??

ITA w/ Paula, let it go in one ear and out the other. Miss you!!!

You should make Tom eat two huge bowls of salad, a bunch of filling fruits and veggies, then give him a plate of pasta. See if he could finish it. Make sure it is 3 times the amount his stomach can hold!

I miss you all too! HUGS
August 6th, 2011, 04:30 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Paula let it in one ear and out the other.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

August 6th, 2011, 12:34 PM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
I get the opposite, because Echo is a really big eater. There are times that she eats more than I do at a meal, however, 99% of the time, I serve her healthy food! If she wants to eat more broccoli, that fine by me! She can eat as many green beans as she wants! People make a big deal about saying that she is a "good" eater. Meh. She's always been at the same percentile for height and weight, she's super active, and she likes food. Leave my bebe alone, jerks!

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!
August 6th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
That sucks people should mind there own business I don't make Elise finish her plate the only thing I do is try to get her to try to get her to try the food on her plate because sometimes if a food is new she will just push it away. I hve th same problem as echo poeple think I give her too much she eats a ton but she has always been proportionate and 95% of the time she gets only healthy stuff

August 7th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
Liana is so a grazer too!!! I had the joy (insert sacasim here) of living with my mother for 3 weeks while we waited on our house to close. Anyway it was on and on about how I need to feed her look she ate a whole bowl of oatmeal etc. I did notice the days she had that oatmeal she really didn't eat the rest of the day. Poor thing was trying to digest it.
Oh and add that somehow her 4 children were nowhere near as messy as my kid....

ARG!!! I think it's more aggravating when its family doing it than other people.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search