Anyone switch to the big kid bed yet???

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
Ok so I still have liana in the crib still with both sides on it. Well I am kinda gonna need that crib by early next year. New one can stay in pack and play for a little while. So has anyone done the switch yet???? for BTDT mom's how did you change them into a big bed?

My husbands thoughts are to put the twin on the floor in the room made up and let her pick one or the other. My thoughts are to change her crib to a toddler bed for a while then switch to the twin..... I dunno what to do. Plus not excited about her being free quite yet.....

August 7th, 2011, 12:59 AM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
Let's see... With Derrick he hated the crib from day one. He was in a toddler bed at 9 months and did great. However, at 9 months he was walking and talking very well.

With Xavier, we tried to put him in a toddler bed at a little over 2 years and he HATED it. It was a StorkCraft brand one and he didn't like the openness, I think. We ended up getting him a captains bed - pictured below and he loved it. Infact, he still sleeps in it (he's 6).

For Peyton, I think we will transform her crib to the toddler daybed (once we do that we can't use it as a crib again - per the manual - so I'm really nervous. I'm pretty sure she is our last one but I seriously have a baby itch for when we head back to the States). If we do that and she's comfortable in it we will leave her in it until we swap bed around. (We get a new bed, our oldest gets our bed, his bed goes to Xavier and Peyton get's Xavier's bed).

However, we don't plan to take her out of the crib at least until after the new year...that is our plan so far at least.

Here is a picture of Xavier's bed now...Peyton will inherit it sometime after the new year...
August 7th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I didn't switch my daughter from her crib to a twin bed until she was 2 1/2 years old.. We bypassed the toddler bed.. At 2 1/2 years old she was able to understand the full switch.. I took her to the store and she picked out her princess sheets and curtains for her Princess bed (canopy bed).. What worked for us was getting her excited for her Princess bed.. It was a easy transition..

A.J is still in his crib and not ready for the switch.. I plan on waiting until he is 2 1/2 years old as well..

August 7th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
We switched Thomas early 16 or so months? He did great for two nights, then started co-sleeping nightly again and did until 3.5 y/o.

Collin we waited until he was able to climb out. Had no issues at all he was 2 y 3 m old.

Bailey, we will wait until she can get a leg onto the lowest rail. which is currently at her shoulders. It will be a while I hope!

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
August 7th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So no one has switched before 2? Arg this was my fear. I need the crib but if she's not ready then I dunno. I can't really wait until 2 and a half.

August 7th, 2011, 03:05 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
We "debated" switching Liam over starting this summer. He *can* climb out, but has only done so twice, both times he was raving mad because DH put him to bed instead of me (which is our routine). And he is a mastered climber, so had no issues scaling down the side. Even with that being the case, we decided to buy the new baby his own crib. I know it is not something that is super-popular to do, since most folks only want to have one set of baby supplies.

But we just could not figure out a good way to switch him over without disrupting his routine a lot. He is not a great sleeper anyway, so I had visions of him up all night reading and banging around in there. He still wakes up in the middle of the night sometimes, so it is not just at bedtime that we would have to deal with the roaming. Plus, he gives us no hassle about sleeping in his crib. So we figure we will just leave that his bed and we got a "cheap" (aka: a $140 Graco one) second crib that does not have a ton of features, but the ones we needed.

If possible, is there someone close to you and your family who you could borrow from?

If not, I would say that it would be best to do what your husband suggested. Simply because it would only require one switch, versus two. Just putting the mattress right on the floor is a fine idea, so she can't fall out of anything. She might do just fine, depending on her personality and her sleeping habits. Julia was in a toddler bed at around 18 months. She never got out herself, so she treated it much like the crib. She would just sit up and call for us to get her. I am not sure if she even thought she could climb out. But I don't really remember the switch and I also was not doing nighttimes with the bed...so it is not something I have a lot of experience on my side.
August 7th, 2011, 04:46 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, Hugo switched before 2. I can't remember exactly when right now but around 18 mos. Nothing to it. Just put him in the full bed and he was fine.

I don't think Sergio is ready b/c he only likes big beds if someone is going to lay down with him. That doesn't always happen. We are moving in about 3 mos. as soon as our house is done being built so we will play it by ear at that time. Right now where we are, his only choice is crib or sleep with brother and he doesn't want to sleep with brother.

August 7th, 2011, 05:05 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We switched Jasmine at about 23 months. We did a week or so with the side off the cot and a safety bar up before taking down the cot and moving her to a full size bed with the safety bar. She did fine. We kept the safety bar up for about 3-4 months I think. We plan on doing the same with Lucy very soon too.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

August 7th, 2011, 05:13 PM
~KMV~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We converted Damian's crib to the "daybed" back in march. he does pretty good in it, if he wakes up at night he comes and crawls into bed with us if im awake ill take him back in there and lay him down.

he hated the crib screamed bloody murder when he was in it. this way he can climb in and out during the day whenever he wants and when hes ready for a nap he shows me on his bed.

August 8th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
I jinxed myself.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
August 8th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
Elise will be two when this baby comes and we are playing it by ear it I need I will get a mini crib for the new baby until Elise is done with the big one

August 9th, 2011, 04:57 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Breana went to a twin at 2 1/2 I needed the crib for Xander.

I think it is best to switch her before the baby comes that way she won't think the baby took her bed.

I also think toddler beds are a waste of money.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

August 9th, 2011, 06:42 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not big on switching early, so several reasons.
I like the safeness of the crib, I like that they can't get out and get into stuff, etc..

We moved Kayla at just over 2, she was climbing out.
We moved Emily closer to 3, I don't remember exactly. We needed the crib for Abby and Emily was ready. Until Emily was ready, we used the co-sleeper for Abby.

We'll move Abby when she's ready. I don't think there is a set age for this, it differs for each child. She's not climbing out yet *knock on wood so I don't jinx myself, like Nicole). She already has a bed though. We bought a bunk for Emily because we knew Abby and her would share a room. Right now we just have Em's as a single twin, Not sure if we'll make them bunks or keep them as two single twins.

August 9th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Genevieve's_mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i dont have any advice but genevieve's crib has been changed for awhile, though she doesnt sleep in it. she sleeps with us. Oh how i would love my bed back. Ir eally want her in her own room before this baby comes

thanks *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!
x2 http://www.punky-kinboutique.webs.com (enter 'Summer' to recieve 10% off entire order, $30.00 or more)
<marquee

REQUEST A SIGGY: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...ests-open.html
SIGGY GALLERY: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...y-gallery.html</marquee>
August 12th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
thanks for the replies ladies!!! Haven't been on in a while. We have yet to get the closets done so no bed yet....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search