Totally. Completely. Off Topic. :)

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 17th, 2011, 06:30 PM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
My entire life I have thought that I had "bad" hair. I described it as "bad perm" hair. It was kind of wavy with a giant helping of frizz, so I would blow dry it, straighten it, and then coat it with shine spray. Even then I didn't think that it looked nice. About a month ago I was searching for ways to wear my hair up, and I kept finding links to a long hair message board. I started poking around, and saw a woman who described her hair in a similar fashion to mine, but she had pretty curls. I read some more, and decided to give some of the suggestions a whirl. I quit using shampoo, no heat at all, and I'm using coconut oil as a moisture treatment. The results have been amazing! For the first time in my life, I feel like I have "good" hair! It's soft, and curly, and it has a ton of bounce. I am so overly excited about it! I don't have many people that I can talk to about it, because really, who wants to talk about my hair... So, I thought I would come here and brag. Here are some pics today, after letting it air dry, and with a bit of pure aloe vera gel in it.

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!
August 17th, 2011, 08:29 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Its looks great!

How are you going with the no shampoo? I've read lots about it and how good it can be for your hair but mine gets so itchy and oily after 2-3 days that I give up and shampoo it.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

August 17th, 2011, 08:34 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I want my hair to do that!!!!

So you aren't using shampoo at all?? Just the oil after you wet your hair???

I would love to let my hair dry naturally with waves but it frizzed up!
August 17th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
Looks so cute

August 17th, 2011, 09:20 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It looks great!!

I have a friend who said the same as you. She has curly hair and always hated her hairy, said it was kind of like straw.
She quit using shampoo too and now it's so pretty and soft and bouncy! WEIRD!

How do you not use shampoo though? What do you wash it with?

August 17th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Genevieve's_mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
on the topic of bad hair you wanna see real bad hair? (lol my sister would kill me for doing this but eh what the heck)
This is my neice Makhia

idk what your hair looked like before but it looks nice now, im jealous i wish my hair was long again

thanks *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!
x2 http://www.punky-kinboutique.webs.com (enter 'Summer' to recieve 10% off entire order, $30.00 or more)
<marquee

REQUEST A SIGGY: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...ests-open.html
SIGGY GALLERY: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...y-gallery.html</marquee>
August 17th, 2011, 10:46 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It looks great! I have curly hair that frizzes unless I use Living Proof Zero Frizz styling treatment for wavy/curly hair. It works great, but it is $35 for 8 ounces and I have to use alot. I just ordered the WEN cleansing conditioner system. We'll see if it works or if I need to keep spending way too much on Shampoo, Conditioner, and Styling prducts
August 18th, 2011, 03:37 AM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
Can you please tell me where you get the coconut oil? How often do you use it? Does it make your hair feel greasy at all? Does your hair "feel" clean? I have hair like you describe: Frizzy, (but mine is curly, not wavy). I always just wear it up in a ponytail. My hair is super thick, I've never been able to wear it down.

August 18th, 2011, 04:55 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Looks nice. I also don't know how you not use shampoo.

My hair would be so oily.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

August 18th, 2011, 05:03 AM
~KMV~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
oh the topic of hair and styling products... my mom always teases me that i go the "good" hair.. hers is about what you described... wavy long frizztastic and a hot mess no matter what she does.... perhaps I will share your secrets with her.....

August 18th, 2011, 05:12 AM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
Thanks ladies!

I'm using the Conditioner Only method, or CO. I use a cheap runny conditioner, Suave Naturals, put that on my scalp and roots, and scrub that for a minute with the pads of my fingers. Then I put a deep conditioner on my length, and leave all of it in while I shower. At the end of my shower, I add a bit of water to my head, and scrub the scalp again, use a wide tooth comb to detange, then rinse really well. Conditioners contain small amounts of cleansers, but take longer to work. The thing that I'm getting away from is Sulfates, or SLS. Sulfates strip your hair of their natural moisture, and that is what causes the frizz.

The other thing that I am staying away from are "cones." You can read more about all of this, and cones in general, if you read about the curly girl method. This is a pretty good explanation of what I'm doing, except that I don't blowdry. Instead I use a tshirt to scrunch the extra water out of my hair. Then I use a 100% aloe gel, I found it in the trial size section at Target, and let my hair completely air dry. I also tried something called "plopping," which gives my roots more volume, but also gives my curls a bit more tangles.

I bought the coconut oil that I use at the grocery store. It's an organic one called Spectrum, and I found it in the cooking oil section. I section my hair into four parts, and take enough coconut oil to just make a sheen on my hands, and coat each section with it. Then I put my hair into braids, sleep with it in, and wash with conditioner the next morning. I also use a tiny amount on just my ends when they seem really dry, but a little goes a long way.

Before starting this, you will need to do a clarifying wash, to get all the cones and stuff out of your hair. I used suave brand for that part too. All in all, my new washing conditioner, aloe gel, and coconut oil, cost less than $10. I already had deep conditioner without cones, so I didn't have to get that, but the kind I use isn't very expensive.

This most important part, is not combing or brushing your hair out of the shower. It will make it frizz right up. I'm even able to have second day hair without washing it again, by putting it in a high pony tail, and sleeping on a satin pillow protector ($4 at target!).

August 18th, 2011, 05:17 AM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower_142 View Post
Can you please tell me where you get the coconut oil? How often do you use it? Does it make your hair feel greasy at all? Does your hair "feel" clean? I have hair like you describe: Frizzy, (but mine is curly, not wavy). I always just wear it up in a ponytail. My hair is super thick, I've never been able to wear it down.
I use the coconut oil three times a week. It's really gotten my hair back into shape. My sister felt my hair, and told me that it's just as soft as her friends hair who has never used heat or dye on her hair. That's a HUGE compliment for me as I have dyed my hair every few months since I was 12, and used heat on my hair everyday for years.

August 18th, 2011, 05:42 AM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
Oh, and about the oily thing... My hair has been LESS oily since using conditioner to wash it. I used to wash it every other day because the roots would be a greasy mess, but now I can go up to four days!! The curls don't look nice that long though. Heehee. So I wear a bun or braids on those days.

August 18th, 2011, 06:49 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My hair is ram rod straight, never frizzy and ZERO curl.
I'll be honest here.. That sounds like way too much work. LOL I wash, air dry and brush. That's it. I never blow dry and never use a curling iron or straightener... But again, my hair is straight. Might be worth the effort if I had curly hair.

August 18th, 2011, 07:17 AM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
It's A LOT less than what I used to do! I used to wash, deep condition, towel dry, comb, mousse, blow dry, straighten, and then shine spray. Even then, my hair didn't look "good" and I would end up with it pulled back by the end of the day. That was A LOT of work for sub par hair. I now spend 10 minutes or less on my hair a day. Easy Peasy! I wish I had hair that I could do nothing to! Super jealous of that! But, I don't, so I have to make the most of what I have.

August 18th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I love your hair.. I'm a bit jealous.. Just strait thick hair here that won't hold a curl..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; August 18th, 2011 at 08:36 AM.
August 18th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Very cool, definitely looks good!

I'm with Paula though, I have hair that just air dries straight w/o frizz. At least when I don't put it up. Wash, air dry, brush, then a small teen amount to tend to the very, very few fly aways I get. but I can't stand my hair on my neck/in my face so it's always just tossed up.

I am glad you found something, cheaper, less time consuming that is definitely working for you.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
August 18th, 2011, 01:50 PM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
i wrote down everything you do and will be giving this a try. Can you tell me what deep conditioner do you use? I'm confused what cones mean LOL! The clarifying wash is it just called suave clarifying shampoo? Also about how long before you noticed an improvement in your hair?

August 18th, 2011, 03:36 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you for the idea about drying it with a t-shirt. I bought the Deva Curl microfiber towel and it is tiny! I know that terry cloth towels cause even more frizziness.

I have coconut oil in my fridge. Could I use that? I also have aloe vera gel in the cabinet. Oh and I have clarifying wash too! Hey, I am already set! Although, sleeping with the coconut oil in would make me break out.
August 19th, 2011, 06:29 AM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower_142 View Post
i wrote down everything you do and will be giving this a try. Can you tell me what deep conditioner do you use? I'm confused what cones mean LOL! The clarifying wash is it just called suave clarifying shampoo? Also about how long before you noticed an improvement in your hair?
I use Garnier Fructice (sp?) on my length, and suave naturals strawberry for washing my roots. The clarifying is suave daily clarifying, but I only use it once a month... It didn't take long at all to see a difference! The very first time that I conditioner only washed, and then let it air dry, made a huge difference! I have read that not all conditioners work well for all people though, so it may be a bit of trial and error. This is the link to the wavy and wurly thread on the long hair forums that I was telling you about. It's a great community, but you have to sign up, and get 25 posts before you have full access to pictures and things. You will be able to look at the thread though, and it's over a hundred pages of awesome tips. My SN is Apple_Betty over there, if you want to find me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jennifer* View Post
Thank you for the idea about drying it with a t-shirt. I bought the Deva Curl microfiber towel and it is tiny! I know that terry cloth towels cause even more frizziness.

I have coconut oil in my fridge. Could I use that? I also have aloe vera gel in the cabinet. Oh and I have clarifying wash too! Hey, I am already set! Although, sleeping with the coconut oil in would make me break out.
I don't see why you couldn't use the coconut oil in your fridge! If you don't want to sleep with it in, then just put some on, and let it soak in for a few hours before washing it out with conditioner. Make sure that any aloe that you use is 100% aloe. The stuff that is blue or green usually has numbing stuff in it, as well as alcohol. Alcohol will dry your hair out, and the goal is to get it as moisturized as possible. You should also check out the forum that I linked to in the above paragraph. It's a neat place to learn more about your hair.

Edited to add: I'm still a little confused about the cones thing! It's a lot of info. You can find great links on that site though, and lists of conditioners that are cone free. 'Cone Free Conditioners - The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

Last edited by ThatGirl; August 19th, 2011 at 06:31 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search