Took Emely for allergy testing

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 19th, 2011, 05:20 AM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
My daughter Emely has always had reaction to certain things. She's had eczema since she was around 3 months old. As a baby I couldn't feed her oatmeal because she'd break out in hives. She'd also break out if i used a lotion with oatmeal in (like aveeno) Once when she was around a year, after eating spaghetti she got blisters around her mouth. The eczema is year round, it has never gone away despite trying OTC and prescription medications.

I had asked our family doctor plus the dermetologist we were seeing for the eczema to refer us to an allergist for testing. But both felt her symptoms weren't severe enough to warrant testing. (mainly stuffy nose, red/watery eyes, sneezing)

So we switched our detergent to a dye free perfume free brand. No fabric softner or dryer sheets. This helped her eczema. She still gets fare ups, but they aren't as bad looking (used to be red, oozy, bleeding kind). And we've just been giving her an OTC allergy medicine.

But she is still constantly sneezing, stuffy nose, ect. About a month ago a friend had her 8 year old son tested, after displaying the same symptoms as Emely. I decided to not even try to get a referral. I found a pediatric allergist an hour away and did a self referral.

5 days before the appointment i stopped giving her the OTC allergy meds. I wasn't sure if they would test that day or not. I was told it was an evaluation appointment. But just in case, i stopped them.

They went over her history (no history of allergies in our families) and decided to do the testing that day. Yay! Em was miserable, couldn't breathe out of her stuffy nose.

They decided to test for enviromental allergies plus cat and dog. We didn't do food because she hasn't reacted to food or drink for about 4-5 years now (we can now eat oatmeal and spaghetti with no adverse reactions)

They did the scratch test on her back, she said it hurt but was very brave about it. She laid on her stomach for the required 20 minutes, and watched sleeping beauty.

She tested positive for allergies to:

Dust mites
Grass (all forms of it)
Cats (we knew this, because she always reacts when she holds my mom's cats, or just being in the same room with them)
Feathers (ken wanted to get chickens, guess that's out)

We went home and cleaned her room. We took out all the stuffed animals (3 large garbage bags full). I let her keep 2 stuffed animals after I washed them. I washed her bedding and pillows and vacuumed her mattress. Room was swept and dust mopped, curtains took down (they're in the wash now), and rugs removed from her room. She has a tile floor so we dont' need to worry about carpet.

I'm going to buy an allergen casing for her pillow, mattress, and box spring.

Dropped off her prescriptions (zyrtec, flonase, and i forget the other one) and will pick them up today.

She goes back in 6 months to see how the prescriptions are helping her. We're hoping to avoid allergy shots. but they said it was a possibility.

August 19th, 2011, 05:40 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope the pills help her out.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

August 19th, 2011, 06:33 AM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
Poor kid! She has almost identical allergies to mine. Claritin works wonders for mine!

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!
August 19th, 2011, 07:29 AM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Most kids have a reaction to the acid in anything with tomatoes, so I'm not surprised she outgrew that.

I hope her meds help her. It can't be fun to feel cruddy all the time.

August 19th, 2011, 06:23 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

We deal with allergies here, so I know what you're going through!

August 19th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I'm sorry your going through all of this..

A.J is an allergic toddler (Asthma, Allergies (food and environmental) and has Hay fever. I understand what your going through. Hopefully you can get her allergy triggers in control..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; August 19th, 2011 at 07:43 PM.
August 19th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
Hugs that is hard at least now you know allergies can be tough hope the scrips work

August 20th, 2011, 03:43 AM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
Well I won't be using the script for the allergy syrup. Turns out the script is for Zyrtec, which is OTC now. Ok so we get the generic form, but since it's OTC our insurance won't cover it. It's only $8, so not a big deal. BUT I was grocery shopping and found the exact same thing our pharmacy gave us for $5!! So i'm going to save myself $3, and just get it at my grocery store. Our insurance did cover the 2 nasal sprays she's on.

August 20th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Allergy meds are so expensive..

August 21st, 2011, 05:47 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Poor little girl. Hope the meds help.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

August 21st, 2011, 09:05 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Allergies are such a pain. She's pretty much allergic to the same things as me only I'm not allergic to cats but I am allergic to most trees, weeds and yeast. Trees and grass especially just about kill me.

Honestly, even though allergy shots are no fun they really can make a world of difference. I was getting them years ago and they really helped but I stopped because I lost my insurance. I should start them again. It was worth it. My DH had to get 3 shots a week when he was a little kid and it made a huge difference for him.

August 21st, 2011, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ2 View Post
Honestly, even though allergy shots are no fun they really can make a world of difference. I was getting them years ago and they really helped but I stopped because I lost my insurance. I should start them again. It was worth it. My DH had to get 3 shots a week when he was a little kid and it made a huge difference for him.
Jumping in if it's okay..

At what age do they start the allergy shots? I think this maybe something my son may need.

And your right, allergies are no fun..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; August 24th, 2011 at 07:00 AM.
August 21st, 2011, 11:45 PM
opps

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; August 24th, 2011 at 06:59 AM.
August 22nd, 2011, 07:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Poor Emely. I am glad she was so brave. I can't imagine how tough it must be to have a child with alergies.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search