High School English?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2011, 06:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
What was your favorite book to read back in high school?

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
August 23rd, 2011, 06:51 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
The Scarlet Letter and Fahrenheit 451.

August 23rd, 2011, 08:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Mine were The Catcher in the Rye, The Taming of the Shrew, and Othello, all in 10th grade. It was my favorite class, the *only* year I had ever done well in English.

I read to fast and would get in trouble for not being in the right spot whenever it was my time to read out loud, and whenever we had to read a chapter or two for homework I'd always end up finishing the book. ROFL! It got to the point where after I finished I would do an essay on the book, and was told whatever books I read, if I wrote a paper on it I'd get extra credit since I did so poorly on the other stuff (knowing nouns/verbs/pronouns/etc etc etc) Despite all of my failing marks on any exams that weren't on a book I still passed the class w/ an A-

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
August 23rd, 2011, 10:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
Bless me ultima, the book is really funny because I grew up in San Diego so a lot of m class spoke Spanish and that book is full of cussing in spanish
I also really liked A Tree Grows in Brooklyn , although don't know it I just read it in hs on my own or if it was actually part of the reading

August 23rd, 2011, 10:34 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For actual school required reading I remember enjoying 1984. Scary, but eye opening.

On my own I read Gone With The Wind and Catcher in The Rye and a bunch of other stuff.
August 23rd, 2011, 10:55 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I have not read a single one of the books listed

I guess they were not required for our high school or something. But I will prolly have to read them now that I know about them.

My favorite was "Of Mice and Men." I thought it was good.
August 23rd, 2011, 11:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I read Of Mice and Men back in 9th grade definitely my favorite for that year though everyone else in the class hated it. I even enjoyed the movie.

The worst was definitely the old man and the sea. That had to have been the worst.

August 23rd, 2011, 12:38 PM
Oh I should add I really liked Julius Ceasar by Shakespeare. We read that in 9th grade English. The Great Gatsby was a good read too.

I read Of Mice and Men and can fully appreciate it's literary value, but didnt enjoy it.

Since I can download so many classics on my Kindle I plan on making my oldest read as many as possible and I need to catch up myself too. I don't think enough time is spent reading the true classics. I think I'm gonna start The Picture of Dorian Grey next!
August 23rd, 2011, 01:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was googling high school english class classics and want to read a few as I've never read any of the real "classics"

August 23rd, 2011, 01:26 PM
You have the Kindle app right? You can get a ton of the old classics for free off of amazon. I've got a bunch downloaded. Works of poetry and short stories too. I have some Poe on mine. The Tell Tale heart was always one of my favorites!
August 23rd, 2011, 01:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh I read that back in middle school! Definitely good! I actually got rid of the kindle app as it wouldn't let me transfer my own books to it, either on the PC or the phone. I'm using Aldiko, which has many of the same freebies. I am rather picky and need a good summery before I start reading, lol.

I'd like to read a bunch of the books here: Banned and Controversial Books Especially since we read Catcher in the Rye in school despite it being banned, I feel I will like more that weren't "good quality" for high school.

August 23rd, 2011, 01:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
It is so weird they are banning these books many of them I read like the grapes of wrath. I think some people just get too sensitive about it, I mean these kids are in hs it is the parents Job to teach maturity and many of these books are classics
And I think in SD they have more cuturaly diverse books ( especially hispanic ) because I know in hs I read books no one had ever heard of before

August 23rd, 2011, 02:29 PM
The Grapes of Wrath has been banned!? Seriously??? Why??? I gotta check that list out. Are the public schools doing this?

Now. The Catcher in The Rye is this super controversial book. You know you get put on a list or something if you check it out or something? Bizarre. I read it in high school and I'm certainly not a threatening person lol!

Ok. Off to check out this banned book list.
August 23rd, 2011, 04:29 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We mostly has Australian classic books. Most are super boring by the way. We did more dissecting of news articles than any real reading.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search