Catherine (others feel free to chime in.)

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2011, 06:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
I know you home school, so I figured I'd bug you, and since I thought other's may be able to contribute to the conversation I figured I'd post here instead of PM you.
I was planning on sending Collin to school this year, but he didn't get into Thomas' school and the public school sucks which left only one option that we can't afford. So he's home another year.

Anyway, for the past year or so we've been working in random workbooks you can get at walmart/target/etc, as well as with flashcards, playing on Starfall.com (which was used in Thomas' kindergarten class), board games (counting), and during random play time I'd incorporate basic stuff like colors, shapes, simple addition/subtraction.

I was just wondering, if you knew of any (free) resources I could look into. I want to do as much as I can for Collin this year to get him ready for school next fall. He already recognizes his letters/some numbers/write his name but the kids just seems like he has a desire to learn, ya know? And I want to find some ideas to do more for Bailey as well.

Basically I want to put aside an hour or 2 a day to focus more on education with Collin while Bailey gets some benefits. Wow, I'm sorry I'm totally rambling. Anyway, I'm broke but still interested in the whole "homeschooling before going to school" thing and was wondering if you could sort of point me in some direction or another.

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
August 23rd, 2011, 07:01 AM
Genevieve's_mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think that they home schooling board has some but im not 100% sure. Ive never went on there and looked. :shrug:

thanks *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!
x2 http://www.punky-kinboutique.webs.com (enter 'Summer' to recieve 10% off entire order, $30.00 or more)
<marquee

REQUEST A SIGGY: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...ests-open.html
SIGGY GALLERY: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...y-gallery.html</marquee>
August 23rd, 2011, 10:27 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey Nicole. Just seeing this. There are TONS of free pintables online! Gimme a chance to get the day in full swing and I'll list some sites for you ok? I'm a member of a homeschool forum too so Im gonna check there too. I'll list all the good ones for you

It sounds like you are already off to a great start! If he wants to learn than I say teach him all his little mind will absorb. Kids are like sponges at this age. The workbooks you mentioned are great. I still use those (just for older grades) as supplemental materials and I love them.

Ok off to fees the kids then I'll start gathering my list together for you!
August 23rd, 2011, 01:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve's_mommy View Post
I think that they home schooling board has some but im not 100% sure. Ive never went on there and looked. :shrug:
I totally did! Thanks for mentioning the board! I totally forgot about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherineclare View Post
Hey Nicole. Just seeing this. There are TONS of free pintables online! Gimme a chance to get the day in full swing and I'll list some sites for you ok? I'm a member of a homeschool forum too so Im gonna check there too. I'll list all the good ones for you

It sounds like you are already off to a great start! If he wants to learn than I say teach him all his little mind will absorb. Kids are like sponges at this age. The workbooks you mentioned are great. I still use those (just for older grades) as supplemental materials and I love them.

Ok off to fees the kids then I'll start gathering my list together for you!
Thanks Catherine, Collin is always so jealous of Thomas' homework and the huge summer packet he had, so we try to do things for him.

I am just not wanting another winter where B, C, and I just sit around all day playing, cleaning, and lounging around. I found a few free playgroups at the local libraries -story time and craft time for 1-4 y/o's on Mon and Wed. so I figure between that, and setting up a slightly more structured schedule with actual education based activities and worksheets would benefit both of them. Starfall apparently has an entire Alphabet curriculum for pre k kids. Last year we worked on 1 letter per week and Collin really enjoyed it so I'm thinking we can do a letter and number each day this year. He thrives on actual scheduled activities and Bailey set herself up on a strict nap and bed time schedule as he did as a baby so I'm thinking she will "get it" as well, ya know???

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
August 23rd, 2011, 08:27 PM
Here's one: Free Education Resources. Teachers, Homeschool & Students. Math, Reading, Writing Worksheets, Activities, Lessons.

I have other ones on my desktop so will have to post from there. On my phone. Seems like my PC and my iPad are always being used by others these days!
August 26th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
checking that out after our playdate. You Rock Mama!!!! TY!

August 26th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Oh I'm gonna give ya more! This week has been weird and I need time to sit my butt at the computer! I have so many things to do online and haven't had a chance to do any of them. So more sites to come!
August 26th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
LOL! I know what you mean!!!!! I spent sooooo little time actually online this week. Trying to enjoy the last week with Thomas home. Cannot wait to see more!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search