Time outs

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2011, 07:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
So at play group there are several moms that have toddlers all with in a few months of Elise and one was talking about how they started doing timeouts her daughter is two months younger than Elise
I guess she went in her room and spilled toys and picked up half of them but them refused to pick up the rest so she got a time out
I know not all of us do timeouts yet but would you give a time out for that am I just a big softy I onl give time outs right now when she does things that can hurt herself or others like hitting or thowing things that can hurt. All that being said Elise is well behaved most of the time I lucked out with her

So I guess the question do you give time outs and what do you give them for?

August 23rd, 2011, 07:42 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We give them. Lucy gets maybe a minute at this stage and only for really major stuff after a warning.

If she hits Jas, she gets told no and that she does it again she'll go to time out. If she does it again, she gets put into time out. She's pretty good about it and sits there for the whole time. We then tell her why she went to time out and that's it not nice to hit. She then has to go say sorry (hugs at this age) to Jasmine. Then we drop it.

As she gets closer to two the time will extend a little until it is 2min by the time she's just over 2. From then on we do 1min per year of age. Jas right now gets 5min since she's close enough to five and fully understands time outs.

I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually had to put either of them into time out in the last few months. Just the warning seems to be enough. I think Lucy gets it from seeing us follow through with it with Jasmine.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

August 23rd, 2011, 10:18 PM
** Tay **'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We started a few weeks ago.... she stands in the corner after shes been told no, when it is something really naughty or something she will hurt herself/others doing.
At first we had to stand right there and remind her every time she turned around, but now she knows the drill and will walk to the same corner when we tell her to go, and stay there till we tell her to come out.
After about a minute, we tell her she can come out and to come talk to us - and we then explain why she was in the corner in timeout, and why its not ok to do that. then we tell her we love her and tell her to go play.

Last edited by ** Tay **; August 24th, 2011 at 12:40 PM.
August 24th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Genevieve's_mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we dont give time outs. she woudlnt sit there for it.

thanks *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!
x2 http://www.punky-kinboutique.webs.com (enter 'Summer' to recieve 10% off entire order, $30.00 or more)
<marquee

REQUEST A SIGGY: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...ests-open.html
SIGGY GALLERY: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...y-gallery.html</marquee>
August 24th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
Ok I was just wondering, I would never say anything because a time out doesn't hurt the kid at all but if I got my 20 month old to pick up half the toys I would consider that a win
And Elise won't sit there on her own yet either so we still sit there with her and make her stay but she gets the point and we olymake her stay a minute and then explain in simple terms what she did wrong and tell her we love her

August 24th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
We started time outs really early so she knows the routine. She gets 1minute and its going up to 2 soon after her birthday. We are using them more now because we have started the hitting phase. She gets a warning then if she continues she is put in time out. After we explain and then hugs and off she goes.

August 24th, 2011, 07:28 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I kinda think that getting a time out for not picking up the rest of the toys is a bit over-the-top. But that is me being a softy too. Now, if my kid threw a toy at me instead of picking it up...that would call for a time out. But I don't expect that Liam will pick up *all* of the toys he gets out. As long as he helps, I consider it a huge accomplishment.

We do time outs...but I sit and hold him (not struggling). He gets scolded (for hitting, throwing things at people, pulling Julia's hair, or being mean to the dogs) and I sit with him on the dining room chair for a minute or two. I tell him that he can not get down to play and that mommy doesn't like that behavior. He is generally a good kid and gets his feelings hurt easily, so this form of time out works for him. He will cry for a couple seconds, I tell him to calm himself down (which he generally does) and then we go off and play some more. For now it works. I am sure things will change soon enough. But being pretty sensitive, I don't want him to think I am rejecting him, just his behavior.
August 25th, 2011, 04:12 PM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
We don't do timeouts, and I don't think we will, but even if we did I wouldn't give her one for not picking up all her toys. That's expecting a bit much from such a young child, imo.

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!
August 25th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
We only do time outs for hitting/throwing with Bailey--that consists of her sitting with me away from the boys who she is hitting or throwing things at

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
August 26th, 2011, 05:21 AM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
yes Catie has gotten time outs. I usually send her to her crib for a couple of minutes. She in return throws everything out of her crib, knocks everyone off the dresser that's by her bed and jumps up and down screaming.

She's gotten time outs for hitting, pulling hair, and biting me or her sisters. She's also gotten it for throwing/dumping food and drinks on the floor.

August 26th, 2011, 05:47 AM
elsi2009's Avatar Veteran
LO is well behaved and I probably won't start time outs much before 2.5 years, depending on her behavior and development.
August 26th, 2011, 06:20 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do time outs here. Xander gets a minute for each year of his life. It is just major stuff like him biting Breana or hitting things like that.

I would never put them in time out for not picking up their toys though.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

August 27th, 2011, 05:16 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I gave them to Hugo starting when he was younger than Sergio and it worked well, but they don't seem to be what Sergio really needs. Sergio only acts up when he can't have something he wants or he's being made to do something he doesn't want. The consequence is removal from the situation or forcing to go through with whatever it is he didn't want to do and a reward after doing it. He has different issues/triggers so far than Hugo, but most of it is typical toddler stuff and not willful and doesn't warrant a time-out. He doesn't hit or anything like that. His worst fault is taking off his clothes at night when he's not supposed to. (which has the consequence of just having to put them back on)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search