How long do kids stay in a toddler bed?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2011, 10:28 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hubby and I are back debating about whether we move to a toddler bed or just a twin bed. Aside from weighing the height and size of the actual furniture, we're thinking about the cost.

We've got the crib/toddler mattress, so the initial cost of a toddler bed is lower plus the height is right. But then I worry that the time James will be in it will be so short due to its inherent smaller dimensions that it will be a waste of money since we'll have to get a bigger bed shortly thereafter, so it would make better financial sense to just invest in a twin.

How long can an average sized kid stay in a toddler bed? James is skinny and average height.

December 2nd, 2011, 11:20 AM
ashbbrunton's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know if there is a certain amt of time that is the norm or what, but we are skipping the toddler bed. Our crib converts, but beong preggo already means that it will be left as a crib and Addi will go into a twin bed. It's the bed that my dad was in as a boy, I used it, my sister used it, and now Addi will. It's nothing to look at but it has been refinished at some point. We have a bed rail thing that will go on one side and the other side will go against the wall.

Thank You so much Typical Vampire for my Gorgeous Siggy!!!!

December 2nd, 2011, 12:20 PM
mommabirdof4
In your situation I would get a Twin...In our situation it made sense to get two toddler beds because then the twins can move into them and the big kids can get twin bunk beds at that time. Lil Jimmy is 3 and big for his age...I figure we can still squeeze another year and a half out of it for him.
December 2nd, 2011, 02:12 PM
amyhk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our crib converts into a toddler. But I'll likely buy him a twin bed with a guard rail sooner rather than later. Of course, I'm keeping him in the crib as long as possible.

December 2nd, 2011, 03:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
No idea. She went straight to a twin.

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
December 2nd, 2011, 05:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I dont know. I felt more comfortable with her getting a toddler bed. It is smaller and I think more "friendly" for her and less intimidating for me.

I think should probably fit in it until she is 4 or so. She still has lots of room to grow! I figure we have Lexie coming up behind her, so she will be able to use the toddler bed too. Oh yeah-and since they will be sharing a room, it fit better too!

December 2nd, 2011, 09:17 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Leila turns 4 this week and is very tall for her age. She still fits fine in it with lots of room to grow. Since we are hoping to be out of Ryan's mom's house this year we would likely move Leila into a twin and Owen into the toddler bed and baby Peach into the sidecarred crib at some point. We have to have room for the twin bed first though lol. However, I debated about just buying another toddler bed and that seems ridiculous. I figure we have another year that Leila could comfortably sleep in the toddler bed.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

December 3rd, 2011, 08:55 AM
AndreaRenee's Avatar raising boys...
Your question is exactly why when I found his bed at ikea I jumped on it, it's low like a toddler bed and starts off short but then can be lengthened to a twin, you add a piece to the mattress, it's awesome. I also liked that it was wide like a twin so if need be, we can lay in it with him. They don't make it anymore sadly. Next bed for him will likely be a full or bunk beds, but not for a long time, maybe when he's 6? Those little toddler beds don't seem like they would last in my opinion, if I hadn't got the bed we have, I would have put a twin mattress on the floor for a while, then put it on the frame later.
December 4th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
Andrea my friend had that bed too. The only down side she said was the mattress was kinda crappy so it only lasted about 2 years before they bought her "real" twin bed.

We don't do toddler here. We went from crib to twin at 15 months with Nichole nad 20 months I think with Avery. Avery has a rail on her bed and uses a step stool to climb up.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

April 20th, 2012, 10:06 PM
AndreaRenee's Avatar raising boys...
can i just say how excited I'm getting about the prospect of bunk beds?!!? or a loft situation? or this ikea bed??
April 21st, 2012, 05:51 PM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We finally bit the bullet!

James got moved to a twin bed last weekend and his new bedding came in from Overstock midweek. He's so thrilled with his truck sheets/ comforter and is doing so great! I'm glad we didn't go for a toddler bed. The bed we're using is DH's old bunk bed (well, one of the bunks!) with a fold down rail I bought and a footstool to get in and out- it's perfect! We had the frame and "borrowed" a mattress from a guest trundle we had. We'll need to eventually replace that twin mattress, but it doesn't get tons of use, so it's ok.

I can't believe how big he's getting- I walk by the room and am still a little shocked that the crib is gone! (Must mean it's time for another! )

December 13th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Thank you all of you for the great tips and sharing your experience. Im 7 months pregnant and expecting a baby. Your advice will definitely help me in near future. Cheers!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search