does your LO know about religion?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2012, 06:55 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
I am curious...how much do you think your LO knows/understands about religion, God, etc.? Whether you are practicing religious or not, have you had conversations with them about your beliefs (whatever they may be)? Have they said anything back to you or asked any questions that give you insight into what they're thinking?

Charlie's experience of going to church thus far is mostly that he gets to play with the toys in the nursery. We have a children's Bible for him, and we read him stories often, but I'm not sure he really understands. This morning, we were doing a jigsaw puzzle together that was of the Christmas manger scene, and I told him that the baby picture in the middle was of Baby Jesus. He was confused because most of the Bible stories we read have Jesus as an adult. He actually pointed to Joseph in the picture and said that he was Jesus (presumably because he is an adult man). Then, later in the day, I said something to DH about Beau and Charlie shouted out "His name isn't Beau, it's Jesus!" Maybe because he's a baby? I don't know, but obviously he's doing his best to figure this all out. I just thought it was interesting.

What about the rest of you? Do you think your LO's have any real understanding at this point, or (if you do go to church) are they still basically just going through the motions?

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
March 3rd, 2012, 05:35 PM
Alexa5
I think he understands prayer, Jesus, and the Bible on a very basic level....but definitely not in a way that we have explained a lot of details to him. So, he can pray, he knows about baby Jesus, and we read Bible stories to him...but that is about as deep as it gets at this point. I do think when he is older it would be beneficial for him to go to Sunday School somewhere to get more details....
March 3rd, 2012, 07:01 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am Baha'i and my husband is Buddhist so our children have exposure to both faiths. Ella attends weekly children's classes but I think she views it as a playdate with friends. My 6 year old has lots of questions, the 4 year old can memorize prayers but I don't think he really understands them yet.

March 3rd, 2012, 07:33 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison79 View Post
I am Baha'i and my husband is Buddhist so our children have exposure to both faiths. Ella attends weekly children's classes but I think she views it as a playdate with friends. My 6 year old has lots of questions, the 4 year old can memorize prayers but I don't think he really understands them yet.
That's so cool that you're Baha'i! We knew some Baha'is when we lived in Kuwait. (Though they had to keep it on the down-low, since that's not looked-upon well by the mainstream Muslims there). It was a faith I didn't know much about before and it was interesting to learn about. What type of Buddhism does your husband practice?

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
March 4th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Alison, that's really cool! I love meeting people of other faiths.

We go to church every week, and say prayers and read scripture often at home. Erin's pretty understanding, and asks lots of questions. Patrick recognizes pictures of Jesus and such, but for him, since he's in the nursery, church is pretty much a big playdate too. lol

March 5th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think Russell understand on a very basic level. He will pray to Jesus when he first gets up in the morning and before he goes to bed a night. He does know some basic, simple bible verses but I don't think he totally understands. We go to church on Sundays and Wednesdays and he loves being around all the kids.

March 9th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We talk about the Lord on a regular basis around here in addition to going to church and such. All all the girls are in religious preschools/elementary schools with daily worship.

I think they get it pretty well. Sometimes they will even bring up ideas like how the Lord wants us to be nice to each other. And around Christmas time Zaniyah and Joey played "Mary and Joseph" with their baby doll ALL THE TIME! It was so darling (until they started fighting about whose turn it was to hold Baby Jesus ).

In my experience as a teacher and a mom kids just get it. They know who makes the trees. They understand that God loves them and everyone else. It is as natural as breathing to them.

April 21st, 2012, 09:56 PM
Carmela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not here. We are atheists. The only exposure my kids have had to religion is people telling them "Bless you" when they sneeze. LOL He hasn't started asking questions yet, but we currently live in Alabama so it is only a matter of time.

April 29th, 2012, 08:45 AM
superwoman8977's Avatar Awesome Mommy!
We are seeking a church and have never found one here yet as I love my hometown church and so we discuss the bible on our own and Ali loves the story of the bread and the fish and the other night at dinner we were having fish and had little loaves of bread with them and she immediately told us about Jesus and how He fed the people so I am pretty sure she is getting it.

Thanks AlexAidenmom for my awesome siggie!

May 31st, 2012, 11:52 AM
We go to church read scriptures with our kids pretty regularly and I feel like she has a pretty good concept. For some reason, we have a little thing where I ask her where she came from when she does something cute or funny or crazy and she always answers "Heaven!"
May 31st, 2012, 07:08 PM
Jlynn's Avatar Jamielynn
I don't think she really understands to much. She prayers before each meal and at bed. She goes to Sunday school too.
IUI #1 = BFP but ended in the loss of our boy Carter
12 failed IUIs followed
After TTC baby #2 for 3 years....
We are happily ADOPTING our rainbow baby.
Read my story here it is part of a campaign I was asked to Join...
June 1st, 2012, 08:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Violet knows quite a bit about religion I would say. We go to church every week and in the nursery they have a lesson plan, and sing songs, pray etc. At Christmas we played with the Little People nativity scene, and if you would ask her where Jesus was born she would say "Beth A ham!!!" Everyone got a kick out of that!
She has a picture of Jesus and the children in her room and since she was 1 we would say "Who is that?" and she would say "Jesus!" and she says a prayer nightly and can say the whole prayer herself

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search