here's what I don't get about potty-training....

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 24th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
...is there a way to do it without keeping your kid cooped up in the house all day long?

I feel like, in order to really potty-training Charlie, we need to set aside some time to stay in the house and near the toilet so that we can keep putting him on it on a regular basis. But the problem is, Charlie is used to going outside to play for several hours every day. And as a result, when he doesn't get to do this, he turns into a beast! He gets in a bad mood and throws tantrums and is not receptive to any sort of instruction whatsoever, especially not about potty-training. He really NEEDS the physical exercise and the vitamin D from the sun in order to stay a functional, pleasant person. But in order for him to get this, we have to go downstairs away from the potty and therefore can't get to one quickly for him to practice sitting on it. What have the rest of you done? Are your LO's as dependent on outside time as mine is? I'm at a loss. Potty training equals cabin fever in a major way.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
March 24th, 2012, 04:43 PM
babyDamico's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
gosh, that's tough. I don't remember being confined to the house... It's been almost a year, so I'm can't really remember all of the details. I know I tried at first to just keep her close to a potty when we started (we have a travel potty in the back of the SUV) but after a couple of days we gave up and put her back into pullups. A couple of days later SHE decided she wanted to use the potty and we haven't had any issues since. She stayed dry all night and when we were outside she would tell me when she had to go and we would come inside to go.

Just another note, if we were outside and she had an accident (because she didn't want to come in to potty) we would have to come inside anyway and get washed up... and explained that she could have been back outside quicker if she had told me and we went potty.

We made one wish and two came true, Andrew and Annabelle, we can't wait to meet you!

March 25th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Zoostergirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure what Chinese society would say... but I find the BEST way to potty train is to be outside in undies! At least for the first day or so when there's a ton of accidents.

My potty training philosophy is to wait until they want to try (either going on the toilet or wearing underwear). Then we give up diapers cold-turkey and switch to underwear (except for at night). I'm not the kind to ask my kid if they need to go or set timers or such. I let them figure it out and tell me when they need to go. Accidents sure help them learn and the best place for accidents is outside.

I do find it hard going anywhere at first, since I don't do pull-ups. After about 3 days there is usually great progress and after a day or two accident free we'll venture out.

March 26th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Zach & Lola's Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Madigan
We live in the country so going outside wasn't an issue, I'd just let her pee outside. *(And yes, even in bushes of parking lots when necessary) I'm not a good example though and am sure that peeing in a public park would be frowned upon. We also would bring a travel potty with us on car rides.

Props to ~:Kellarazzi:~ for my fab siggy.

March 26th, 2012, 01:56 PM
seri0uslyc0nfused's Avatar Just Confused....
Yeah, we let Adam pee outside, of course we had a few times that he tried to pee in parking lots and stuff, but we quickly taught him where and where not to do that!

Adam has been potty trained for about 8 months....EXCEPT poop. The kid will not poop in the potty. He goes to his closet, puts on a pull up, poops and tells me to clean him. It is very frustrating. I bought one last bag of pull ups and that is going to be it, I know its going to be a HELL of a week when they are gone, but I think that is the only way I'm finally going to break it.

Good luck!!

April 3rd, 2012, 01:35 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to StephanieJune Send a message via MSN to StephanieJune Send a message via Yahoo to StephanieJune
My daughter Melody still isn't potty trained either. She doesn't like to stay home all day either; she loves to go to the park to play every day. If we had a house with a backyard I would just let her go play outside in her underwear, but we live in an apartment, so I can't do that. She doesn't tell me when she needs to go; I usually have her sit on the potty in the morning right after she wakes up, in the afternoon before and after her nap, and at night right before bed. She sits on the potty willingly when I ask her to most of the time, but she only goes about 50% of the time. Sorry I don't really have any advice; I just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one who is struggling with potty training.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search