2 1/2 year check up

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2012, 09:28 AM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
I took Catie to her 2 1/2 year check up. Our doctor doesn't normally do them, but at her 2 year check up he was concerned about her lack of speech, so we wanted to recheck her 6 months later. She has added a couple more words to her speech but is still behind other kids her age. I made a list of words she says and it includes 12 words.

1. Hi
2. bye
3. ok
4. no
5. see
6. you
7. here
8. go
9. thank you (sounds like Ank oo)
10. welcome (she just started saying this a couple of days ago. it took DH and I a while to understand her.)
11. mom
12. dad
13. Bless you (though only i can understand this one. sounds like "Bess ooo) She says it whenever someone coughs or sneezes)

Doctor said we could wait another 6 months and see where she is at 3 years old, or we could set up an appointment with a hearing and speech center. He said he'd prefer to have an eval done at the hearing and speech center, but it was up to me. So we're setting up an appointment. I'd like to know if it's something physical causing her speech to be delayed, or she's just a slow speaker. My daughter Madisyn didn't start saying her first words until she was 3, but she also had autism so that was part of her problem.

Height they measured her at 36". Weight they're scale said 28lbs but i weighed her yesterday on ours and only got 26. So somewhere between 26-28lbs.

April 26th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
Sounds like she is growing well I hope you can figure out the speech thing hopefully she is just a little late I know someone who has a boy the same age and he only says a few words too so some kids are just a bit slower ( although they were offered free counseling and turned it down face palm)

April 26th, 2012, 04:08 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like she is growing well. Hopefully her speech is nothing to worry about and she'll have a word explosion soon.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

April 27th, 2012, 01:01 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like the appt went well. My oldest was a very late talker. He really didn't start saying much until around 3. He also refused to do anything education related like ABC's, counting, basic pre school type stuff. It wasn't that he didn't know it he wouldn't tell us he knew them! When he went to kindergarten he knew everything, was just a quiet kid before that. He told us he was waiting for school.

I'm betting Catie has a major word explosion soon. Ben wasn't saying much and all of a sudden his vocabulary has exploded. He literally picks up a new word a day. Words I didn't know he even knew. If it will put your mind at ease tho I'd have her hearing checked.

Good luck! Crossing my fingers she starts chatting up a storm very soon
April 27th, 2012, 04:34 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like she is growing well.

I hope you can figure something out with her speech. It wouldn't hurt to get her in with a speech therapist.

Good Luck and I hope it ins't anythign serious.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

April 30th, 2012, 05:38 AM
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
I know she's getting frustrated with not being able to communicate with us. Yesterday she wanted something so bad, but we could not figure it out. It got to the point that she started screaming, crying and hitting herself on the head because we just couldn't understand what she wanted . So far we have not heard from the doctor's on when our appointment is. If they don't contact me today, i'll call and make sure they didn't forget to set us up with a speech therapist.

April 30th, 2012, 09:03 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awe . That's awful. Ok, after hearing that she is getting super frustrated I would definitely have her see a speech therapist. My oldest the late talker never got frustrated like that. Saying a prayer she gets in soon and they can help!
April 30th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Doctor's office just called. She goes on May 17th for a hearing test. I think her hearing is fine though, she always "answers" me when i talk to her.

April 30th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
I'm sorry she is having delay.. But I'm glad to hear she is growing well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower_142 View Post
I know she's getting frustrated with not being able to communicate with us. Yesterday she wanted something so bad, but we could not figure it out. It got to the point that she started screaming, crying and hitting herself on the head because we just couldn't understand what she wanted .
Sounds just like A.J...

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; April 30th, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
April 30th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
Poor thing ihope she gets into the speeches therapist soon

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search