Breastfeeding (Yeah, yeah, dealing with Time cover)

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By peapod
  • 1 Post By SassyMama
  • 1 Post By LadyBugMommyof1

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 10th, 2012, 06:53 PM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish

So I'm sure you've all see the Time cover bit. Right? No? Crawl out from under your rock and see it here.
TODAY Moms - TIME's breast-feeding toddler cover spurs shock, talk

Now, a lot of what I've seen (other than the age bit - which hey more power to them imo, I don't think I could do that. lol) is that it's indecent and something they don't want their kids seeing. What about you? Would it bother you if your kid(s) saw that picture? How about our April kids specifically?
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
May 10th, 2012, 08:13 PM
peapod's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think Elias would think anything of it other than the boy was drinking mama's milk. He is pretty in love with the concept of nursing even though he doesn't nurse anymore. He always points out the nipples on animals and has the animals drinking their mama's milk. He always wants to feed Liam because he has nipples and he tries to pump.
GranolaMamaOf3 and ForestJenn like this.
May 10th, 2012, 08:26 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
The thought of BE seeing this image doesn't bother me one single bit! BE watches me nurse C all the time! In his mind, that's what breasts are for.. and I'm proud of that!

What DOES bother me is the "extremeness" of the image. This picture does nothing to "educate" the public of the natural age of weaning (which is anywhere between 2-7 years btw.. World average is 4). There is nothing wrong with full term breastfeeding well into the toddler years, but this image is sadly being used for shock value and begs for controversy!

..and then there's the issue with the over all appearance, making it look uncomfortable/awkward; Typically the mother and child would be cuddled, or at least have their arms around each-other...not look like he's hanging by her boob.

..and the issue with the headline; "Are you mom enough?", again, begs for controversy.

To me, it looks like they're out to mock and make fun, not promote or educate.

Lisa Belkin: No. I Am Not Mom Enough.

May 11th, 2012, 04:32 AM
maryslittlelambs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
People want shock and drama, and I think that was the main purpose behind this cover was just that. I'm not sure what Zachary would think but he wouldn't be shocked I don't think.

I understand that some think that it's about sexuality versus a woman's right to nurse where ever and whenever she wants. I don't have a problem with extended nursing, but I think there should be a certain amount of public discretion due to the world we live in today, but that's JHMO.

Thank you *kiliki* for the beautiful siggy!

May 11th, 2012, 05:47 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryslittlelambs View Post
People want shock and drama, and I think that was the main purpose behind this cover was just that.

The (big) boys wouldn't think anything of it. They might comment that the boy seems a little big for it, but other than that it probably wouldn't even register to them. They know what boobs are for, and actually like to sit with me when I nurse Mason.
Bella would just be like "Mommy! Dat boy drink his mom boob milk!"

I agree with Heather on the rest though. The actual set up of how they have him nursing bothers me, and the "Are you mom enough?" really bugs me.
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
May 11th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Hesperleigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree that the photo and headline are just about shock and awe and basically selling the magazine. It doesn't bother me that people still breast feed three year olds, but I have to admit that I (personally) find it weird. I cannot imagine having Haeden latch on at this age. He's just... well, he's such a boy now. A kid. There is almost nothing baby about him at this point. I imagine if he actually saw a kid his age doing it there would be questions because he also associates breast feeding with younger, smaller children.

May 11th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Fist Pumping Champ
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranolaMama View Post
To me, it looks like they're out to mock and make fun, not promote or educate.

I saw the cover and automatically thought that they were looking for controversy. The way the mother and son are staged (Mom with her hand on her hip looking defiantly at the camera, etc.) makes it look like they're just doing it to sell magazines. They don't care about the actual issue at hand.

As for her breastfeeding her 3-year-old - it doesn't bug me. I personally wouldn't do it but to each their own. I'm not judging her for her parental decisions the same way I don't want to be judged for mine.
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

May 2013 July 2014
May 12th, 2012, 06:05 AM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I absolutely get/got infuriated by the way they staged the pic...sooooo not the way any mom and child nurse...! Ridiculous....as you all agree it's about the controversy and wanting to sell magazines.

I do not nurse my 3 year old, but that was a medical and personal choice to wean her...I do not feel that ANY mom should judge or be judged when it comes to something as personal as bf'ing. No one can make that choice for YOU as a mom!

H would probably point out if she saw a kid nursing in that manor...up on a chair. But, she wouldn't think it was weird...she'd just notice the way it was being done. She is fascinated with bf'ing and nurses her baby dolls "boobie milk" all the time. She thinks she is an authority on bf'ing since she sees so many of my friends and their little ones doing it. She has begun to instruct me on how I'll need to give boobie milk to the twins... "Mommy, you hold them here and get those big ol' boobas out...then, num num num, our babies will go like this..." (fish lips and sucking sounds ensue...)
Kristen L likes this.
May 15th, 2012, 11:22 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I actually hadn't seen it til just now...but I'd for sure heard about it.

May 15th, 2012, 09:37 PM
kristianna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree that it looks intentionally staged to provoke a response/sales. I don't think it's doing any one on either side of this 'debate' any favors. The challenge "Are you woman enough" I find rather offensive.

I don't think it would bother me that much if Anaiah saw this picture. I don't think she would be shocked or upset by it. I was unable to breastfeed but even so she does associate breasts with milk.

Thank you Vicki for the BEEautiful siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search