Chores

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2012, 07:27 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
I know I've asked this before, but it's been a while..

Does you're LO help with any household chores? If so, I'm curious to hear what they are doing and how much supervision they require. Do you use a chore chart or give incentives of any kind?

I'm sure BE is old enough to start being more involved, but I'm just not sure what to have him do... First of all I'm a perfectionist, and a bit obsessive-compulsive, so letting go is not easy for me. Also, this is an area that he wants to "do it all by his self", so even if he's supervised with a task, he doesn't receive help very well.

I have tried giving him a spray bottle of water/vinegar and a rag to wipe off the kitchen table, but he ends up spraying just to be spraying until the entire bottle has been used and the floor is all wet.. and still the table is not clean... Which I guess isn't a real problem, but It's not exactly helpful either...I know, I know; I'm expecting too much.

He's getting pretty good at matching socks, and starting to be able to fold wash cloths and the like.

Any other ideas??

May 11th, 2012, 07:42 PM
peapod's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Elias has been a helper forever. He helps cook dinner (cuts veggies), pre-washes dishes, I give him a sponge when we are cleaning and he wipes the kitchen cabinets and dining room table ( I wet it), we take turns with the steam mop (this is a challenge which often involves crying), he vacuums after dinner each night with the carpet sweeper, has to put away his toys before bed, and helps fold washcloths and diapers.

My personal belief is that a child shouldn't be rewarded for chores. These are all things that help a house run smoothly and things that each family member should contribute to for the greater good. However; say that he is older and decides to go above and beyond (like taking everything out of the cabinets and cleaning the shelves and putting new contact paper down). I would show my gratitude with a token reward.
May 12th, 2012, 06:17 AM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
H loves being my "helper". She has a little dusting tool at both my house and my parents...she will ask for paper towels too and likes to dust the low parts of furniture.

She adores baking and cooking in the kitchen and makes dinner with my mom all the time. I don't cook often anymore with the partial bedrest, so she isn't getting to help me much these days.

She LOVES taking the warm clothes from the dryer to the couch... She calls herself "truck driver H" and carries almost an entire load. She will gladly also move the wash to the dryer. (front loaders). It's a huge help since I can't bend like that these days with my big baby tummy in the way...

She also adores helping unload the dishwasher. She will hand me everything one at a time from the lower shelf. She would love to load it too, but I don't want her doing that with the dirty dishes...not yet.

Vacuuming, she would LOVE to do it with my vacuum all day long...but I am very cautious...she has a toy vacuum we prefer her to use, but with help & constant supervision DH or I will let her give the real deal a push or 2.

Toy pick up is huge...I'm working on trying to instill better habits in this area of chores/helping...I have her "clean up clean up" and sing the little song and instruct her what I need her to put away before she can do something else...our house typically looks like a toy explosion by the end of the day...but she's getting better. I noticed she listens to instructions really well..."H, please put this book back in the bucket before I will read you another book." Or, "I'll do that art project with you, but you have to put all the baby dolls back in the dolly crib before I'll open it and get your scissors..." incentives like that really really seem to work!
May 12th, 2012, 06:53 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Both boys enjoy helping load the laundry into the washing machine, and BE likes to help add the soap (powdered detergent) and press the start button. He would be great at changing it over to the dryer, but the washer is inside and the dryer is out the back door on the porch (two rooms between, plus an exterior door that stays locked most of the time).

He sometimes helps clear the dishes off the table, but that usually result in spills as he tries to go too fast and doesn't watch what he's doing.. He has his own broom, and loves to help vacuum.

He is supposed to help clean up his toys at the end of the day, but he gets distracted playing with each toy along the way. It usually ends up that I put most of them away as he slowly completes 1-2, maybe 3 things, all the while needing constant reminding by me of what we're there to do. "BE please put the blocks away. Please *finish* putting the blocks away.." and on and on.... Sometimes it helps to have him go "hunting" for the pieces to whatever it is. I've tried the whole "you need to put the toy away before getting another out", but I'm not the best at follow-through there (totally my problem). Maybe the real issue is toy storage and organization? Perhaps I need a simpler system.. We seem to have ton of toys with pieces and parts, and if they're not sorted and kept together they don't get played with.

How do you ladies store toys??

May 12th, 2012, 12:55 PM
SassyMama's Avatar Fist Pumping Champ
Siera helps with the laundry - she puts away whatever clothes she can (socks, her undies, etc.). She tries to help me with the folding of the laundry but that just makes it take longer. She also helps me sort the laundry and I figure it's a good way to work with colors, clothes, styles (stripes, etc.), etc.

She likes to help me cook. She LOVES to cook. She likes to assemble lasagnas, mix salads, mix foods in pots and pans (I'm always holding her and this lasts for maybe 2 seconds because I'm terrified she's going to get burned).

As for putting away her own toys... I struggle with this. Badly. She doesn't get the concept of putting one toy away before taking away another one. By the end of the day her room looks like a bomb hit and that's when my sanity goes.

On cleaning days she likes to help me spray and wipe things so I give her a rag and a spray bottle. She tries to help me swiffer but that doesn't work out much either.
May 12th, 2012, 08:46 PM
maryslittlelambs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Zachary is quite stubborn and has no problem making messes but does not like cleaning up...sigh...he will help unload the dishwasher and maybe dust with help, but other than that his main goal is to make more work for me if possible.

Thank you *kiliki* for the beautiful siggy!

May 13th, 2012, 12:09 PM
SassyMama's Avatar Fist Pumping Champ
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranolaMama View Post

Everything goes into Siera's room. She has a kitchen set and all of her pots and pans, dishes, etc. are all arranged on there (I have them set up every day in my own OCD way). Her plastic foods stay in a plastic container on her kitchen counter.

She has a basket with her most popular books - the ones we read most often. She has a wicker basket arranged with all of her teddy bears but she doesn't play with those.

And then she has this plastic dresser thing. It has three drawers. I think you can find them at Home Depot or Ikea or whatever. She has her coloring books, crayons, and Barbie dolls in the top drawer. Her middle drawer has all of her "loose" toys - her medical equipment when she wants to play doctor, her musical instruments, etc. The bottom drawer is filled with books that we haven't gotten to yet.

Her tricycle/car/scooter are kept in the basement for easy access for when we go outside.

Whatever she hasn't played with in awhile is packed up in boxes and are kept in storage in the basement.
May 13th, 2012, 01:34 PM
peapod's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Storing toys

We have lots of wicker baskets.

In the Kitchen:
The play kitchen stores all of the kitchen related items and a basket next to the kitchen has all of the stuffed animals and play scarves
On top of our fridge we have the play dough and tools. In a kitchen cabinet we keep a paper roll and paints.

Dining Room:

Small green tupperware container (what they were given to us in) stores the train set and tracks. On top and beside the container are the big cars and trucks.

Living room:

We have an old entertainment centered that we took the doors off of. In there we have a basket of baby books, basket of magnetic ABC's and numbers, Basket of small instruments, drum, small accordion and keyboard on the top shelf. On the second shelf we have a large xylophone, magnetic drawing pads, basket with random toys, and puzzles. On the third shelf we have a tunnel and the rest of the puzzles. Next to the entertainment center is a basket with loose mega blocks, dress up clothes, and balls.Behind the basket stuck in huge legos are the broom and horse on a stick. On the other side we have a djembe drum and a large chinese drum. All down stairs children's books are on the bottom two shelves of the bookcase.

Basement:

We keep a basket for toy rotation.

Elias' room:

Basket with random toys.
We have gutters attached to the walls for his upstairs books.

All this will be changing over the next 6 months. We are turning our living room into our studio. The front of the basement into DS1's bed room and back basement into his study/office. Elias' room into the playroom. DS1's room into Elias' and Liam's room.

When all of this happens most of the toys will go to the playroom and we are going to put shelving in the closet to house most of them still in their baskets. It will also have a play table for the train and blocks. DS1's room has a lot of great wall shelving that we will move the books to from downstairs. We plan on keeping the kitchen downstairs. Library books will be kept downstairs so we don't get them mixed up. We are also looking for a nice sideboard for the studio space to keep some toys and all of their art supplies as well as the instruments in. And so people don't think we are being mean to DS1 by putting him in the basement. We redid the entire basement right before Elias was born so that DS1 could have a "man cave" it has all of his favorite colors and he always wants to sleep down there as it is.
May 15th, 2012, 08:37 PM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
Bella helps with dishes, helps with dinner prep (if there is anything she can help with), helps clean up the living room, is responsible for making sure her stool is put up in the bathroom, has to take care of used pull ups, and helps switch and start laundry loads.

And wow, I never realized I have her do so much until I listed it all. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by peapod View Post
My personal belief is that a child shouldn't be rewarded for chores. These are all things that help a house run smoothly and things that each family member should contribute to for the greater good. However; say that he is older and decides to go above and beyond (like taking everything out of the cabinets and cleaning the shelves and putting new contact paper down). I would show my gratitude with a token reward.

That's our view on chores as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranolaMama View Post
Other than her blocks, she has a large tote in the living room and can only keep as many toys in that room that she can fit in that. All other toys have to go back to her box of toys in her room when cleaning.
mom of: Zach (9), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14

Last edited by MommaTrish; May 15th, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
May 15th, 2012, 09:08 PM
kristianna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anaiah does not have any set chores but she does like to 'help' out. She loves to un clip the laundry from the drying rack. In fact if she sees me doing it she'll get upset. She also likes to fold laundry but that often just means more work for me as her folding is really more crumpling.. but I like that she wants to help so usually I'll let her do so. She also will help clean up her messes from the floor if she spills something. I do not intend to reward her for doing these things.

Thank you Vicki for the BEEautiful siggie!

May 18th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We also have chores that are expected to be done, then some that are extra things. Ana sets the table (we have mats which show where each thing goes) and so far she hasnt broken anything. She loves to sort the whites/coloured washing (thats an extra) but she does have to put all the toys away before dinner or bed. Inés helps with the toys too and Inés also hands me every piece of cutlery (one by one ) out of the dishwasher.

We keep our toys in the lounge in baskets in a dresser and they know they have to put away one thing before getting out another, else everything would end up mixed and missing.

May 24th, 2012, 09:46 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
LJ has very few chores. He cleans up a little. He gets bags for stinky Amber diapers. He takes care of putting his dirty laundry and Amber's most of the time as well in their proper places. That's about it.

Oh and he adores helping me put dishes away if I want him to or not.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search