Hour long tantrum.

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2012, 02:40 PM
Stephanie_M's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh my goodness has Reagan turned into a tantrum machine! Anytime I tell her no she flips out. She screams and cries for almost an hour. I hate seeing her like this. It hurts even more in the middle of her fit when she screams "I want Daddy!" She is a total Daddy's girl. DH works crazy hours these days and she barely sees him. I know she's not trying to hurt my feelings but it does.

What do you do about tantrums? Any tips or tricks to reduce the amount and length of a tantrum?

Big thanks to *Kiliki* for my GORGEOUS siggy!
[/URL]
May 22nd, 2012, 06:15 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I put my kids in their room when they do that. Their room is upstairs, so they are away from everyone else. I tell them nicely that they can come down when they are done with their tantrum. I don't shut their door or anything, just put them in their room. They don't really have toys or anything else in there to play with. It's really cut down on the number of tantrums and the duration of them.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

May 23rd, 2012, 06:29 AM
Hazel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If we are home, Bryce has to go lay in bed until he calms down
May 23rd, 2012, 07:01 AM
Thanks ladies! Reagan has a ton of toys in her room but the bed thing seems like it could work. So far today we haven't had any tantrums, but then again it's only 10am.

[/URL]
May 23rd, 2012, 06:22 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the twins are terrible tantrummers and time outs don't work for them-they are just so defiant. Rotten 28 weekers never play by the rules I use distraction, that's about all that works for them right now.
May 24th, 2012, 12:36 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
If Tristan is having a tantrum (its rare for him) then he goes to time out in the corner. He is our really mellow child and really chilled back kid..He does have a fit once in awhile but its not usually anything that redirecting cant usually fix. If he does not calm down for some reason then we put him in his bedroom and close the door. His time out is two minutes long since he is two years old.
May 29th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Alexa5
I think it depends on the type of tantrum. I say that because when my son used to have the really bad meltdown kinds there was nothing you could do but wait it out. He just needed to calm down enough to get out of it.

Now, his defiance can be handled by time outs, time alone, letting him know he will lose something/or an activity, etc. It is just a different type of tantrum.
May 30th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks so much for the suggestions! I tried a few methods but what seemed to work the best was to flat out ignore her. When she got done throwing her fit she came over and sat in my lap to cuddle. After that I just acted as if it never happened. She has been doing so much better now.

[/URL]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search