Baby Carriers

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By LJD3Tdance
  • 1 Post By KatieHeitman
  • 1 Post By LJD3Tdance

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2012, 02:30 PM
KatieHeitman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KatieHeitman Send a message via Skype™ to KatieHeitman
What can you recommend for a baby carrier? I am thinking I want one for this baby, being the third child and all, I am sure I will need free hands when I am out and about with all the kids. I want something cheap and easy to use. We can't afford an expensive one and I want something I can throw on quickly don't get frustrated over how to use it. I have never used one before. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!
June 19th, 2012, 05:47 PM
peapod's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you have any children's consignment fairs in your area? I always see reasonably priced carriers that would normally be pricey.
June 19th, 2012, 07:35 PM
MamaToARockStar's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I LOVE my moby for newborns,its not easy to put on,but i usually just put it on before i leave the house and leave it on while i'm out,its easy to pop baby in and out of and once you get used to it its super easy to put on too.I would prob look into a ring sling if you want something easy to put on,that will last you through toddler hood and is reasonably priced

June 20th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have a moby and its great, I put it on most mornings and just left it on, its not so great when its summer though as it can get hot!

June 21st, 2012, 12:14 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
My favorite for the NB stage is a Moby wrap, but if you could only buy ONE carrier, I'd recommend this - Infantino Mei Tai Carrier (This link includes a really helpful video demonstrating how to use the carrier for all ages)
A Moby will only really be comfortable for the first 6(ish) months - before baby gets too heavy, and it's a little trickier to a novice baby wearer. Ergo or Beco are both great buckle carriers that are easy to use, but they are pricey(!). My BabyHawk mei-tai is by far my favorite, most comfortable baby carrier for any age, especially for wearing heavy/older babies on my back! But friends of mine use the infantino one and it's really nice for the price!

Last edited by GranolaMamaOf3; June 21st, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
June 21st, 2012, 12:29 PM
PS - I really appreciate my ring-sling for quick, in-and-out errand running. But for around the house, I prefer the security of a wrap (ie: Moby) or buckle/mie-tal soft-structure carrier. They keep baby tighter up against your body, so you don't feel like you have to always have one hand on them while bending over. Plus, they distribute the weight more evenly over your whole body, so they don't hurt your shoulder.

June 21st, 2012, 07:43 PM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We loved our baby bijorn for quick in & outs with Hazel until she got to about 15lbs. Then we loved our Ergo! I will use both if I'm only carrying one twin at a time, otherwise, I'm still researching wraps...like the K'tan & Moby
June 23rd, 2012, 07:24 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
I have a different Infantino, and while I love it for easiness once Mason hit about 13 pounds its really tight on him.
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
June 23rd, 2012, 07:41 AM
I don;t recommend the Bjorn or any other carrier like it, because of the position it holds the baby in; puts a lot of stress on their spine. You want a carrier that keeps baby in a "seated" position, with knees higher or level to their hips; not dangling straight down.

Check out this website to see pics of what I'm talking about. » Strollers, Baby Carriers and Infant Stress » Boba Family

A Mei-tai, even the Infantino brand, is very different from your typical front pack carrier (ie; bjorn). It supports the baby and grows with them a lot better.

July 1st, 2012, 08:51 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I have never wanted one with the other 4, well the really cheap ones I had one, and we used it on vacation, really only Nick ever used it. I realized with Terra I'd never get anything done if I didn't get one, because she just needs me more and I have less time. So I posted your same post on Catholic parenting, I said pretend I had the funds, which I don't since dh has a part-time job, and now that I'm not working that is our ONLY income. One of them took pitty on me and mailed me an Ergo, but as I mentioned I've never wanted one before, and I know by the time your baby is born in like 20 weeks I won't want it anymore. Lisa, the person who gave it to me, gave me one condition, I had to pass it on when i was done with it, so, do you want to be the one to use it?

July 2nd, 2012, 12:22 PM
KatieHeitman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KatieHeitman Send a message via Skype™ to KatieHeitman
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD3Tdance View Post
I have never wanted one with the other 4, well the really cheap ones I had one, and we used it on vacation, really only Nick ever used it. I realized with Terra I'd never get anything done if I didn't get one, because she just needs me more and I have less time. So I posted your same post on Catholic parenting, I said pretend I had the funds, which I don't since dh has a part-time job, and now that I'm not working that is our ONLY income. One of them took pitty on me and mailed me an Ergo, but as I mentioned I've never wanted one before, and I know by the time your baby is born in like 20 weeks I won't want it anymore. Lisa, the person who gave it to me, gave me one condition, I had to pass it on when i was done with it, so, do you want to be the one to use it?
I would love to use it! That is so generous!
LJD3Tdance likes this.
July 2nd, 2012, 01:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The baby bjorn is OK to use facing forwards, as they have better muscle control when they are older. I used mine with Inés till she was 15 months old (but she was a faether at under 16lbs.)

For tiny babies and long trips I loved the moby.

July 2nd, 2012, 11:48 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieHeitman View Post
I would love to use it! That is so generous!
OK, I'll PM you or facebook you or something closer to delivery time to get details on where to send it and stuff
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search