In a funk...

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By maryslittlelambs

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2012, 07:35 PM
maryslittlelambs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I need dinner ideas. I need stuff that's easy, relatively healthy and relatively cheap (ie: no crazy ingredients that I'll only use once)....

HELP! We eat a lot of boneless chicken breast, and no one's a huge hamburger fan...no pork chops (DH can't eat them due to stomach issues). I'm going to make a veggie chili tomorrow, but it's going to be 95+ all week so stupid timing for chili...
I don't mind fish, but not fishy fish...
Casseroles are fine, just no ideas for any recently...
Pintrest bothers me because most of the recipes I find are repeats...

Ideas?

Thank you *kiliki* for the beautiful siggy!

June 26th, 2012, 08:56 PM
MayBTheresHope's Avatar MayBTheresHope
I wish I could help. We are in a funk, too....especially when it comes to side dishes!

Thank you Mama Trish for my fabulous siggies!
June 27th, 2012, 05:53 AM
KatieHeitman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KatieHeitman Send a message via Skype™ to KatieHeitman
Wish I could help, but chicken is only cooked in this house like once every 3 months. Not big fans here. We mostly do hamburger and pork.
June 27th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
we are in a heatwave here (100+ for 10 days) so we have had salad and cold foods recently!

June 27th, 2012, 10:33 AM
ShesaDreamer's Avatar If Only. If Only <3
Chicken parmasan. Spagetti noodles and sauce. thats a given

Then I bake my chicken seperate I bread it in a mixture with breadcrumbs, oregano, parsley and parmasan cheese.Then after it's baked you put the noodles and sauce on a plate and top it with chicken and a bit of mozerella cheese.

Noodles $1 a box
Sauce I use Hunts that they have on sale at Krogers a lot $1 a can (same size as the jar but the can is cheaper)
Chicken I get it at $0.99 a lb at kroger about $3 for a pack
all spices and bread crumbs if you don't already have them $4 or so or you could just get Italian style bread crumbs and add the parmasan cheese and it would be cheaper but I use bread crumbs for Meatloaf too so I always have plain.
Mozerella cheese $2

So about $12

DD A:3 Autism, Global Developmental Delays

Last edited by ShesaDreamer; June 27th, 2012 at 10:54 AM.
June 27th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Oh and Mary can your DH eat ham? Or bacon? If so I have a few more chicken recipies for you. We eat a lot of chicken in our house too. I will take and make homemade cream of chicken soup and add cooked chicken, and mixed veggies and cook it until it is thicker and then bake biscuits and pour it over them and it's the same as the ones you get in the box for like $4 and I can triple the recipie for about $9. And then there is chicken cordon bleu I butterfly chicken breasts (cut them in half not all the way through just so they lay flat) and then put ham and cheese (mozerella or whatever I've even left out the ham and done broccoli and cheese) and then you put toothpicks in it so that it stays rolled up and you bread it and bake it. I also do a chicken bacon racnh thing. You do the same thing to the chicken but you put cooked bacon and mozerella cheese inside pin it with the toothpicks and then roll it in the powdered ranch dressing mis and bake it.

June 27th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Oh and Sandy I'll share our favorite side dish with you! Green beans with bacon and garlic. You fry a couple pieces of bacon and then drain the grease off but don't clean the skillet put some minced garlic in there and let it saute for just a few minutes until you can smell it really well then add in the drained green beans and the bacon crumbled up and cook until the bean are hot. It sounds unhealthy but it really depends on how much bacon you use. I use 2-3 slices for 3 cans of beans. Sometimes I just saute the garlic in a bit of butter and then add the green beans.

June 27th, 2012, 12:19 PM
SassyMama's Avatar Fist Pumping Champ
I bake chicken legs/thighs with sliced potatoes. We make chicken cutlets a lot and eat them a variety of ways - in salads, parmigan, etc. What about stuffing chicken cutlets? Not the thin-sliced ones but the thicker breasts.

My Chart

May 2013 - Ectopic pregnancy; laproscopic surgery to remove left tube
June 28th, 2012, 09:34 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
Since John is in diet mode for his next tournament thing we're doing nothing but chicken until September.

(meaning I'm probably no help. lol)
June 28th, 2012, 12:22 PM
maryslittlelambs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ha ha, thanks for the ideas. DH just can't have like ribs or pork chops. He has pretty bad GERD and it messes with him. We do eat beef, but hamburger just doesn't go over well here and I can't cook a steak to save my life. So for this week we're having easy stuff...

chicken patty sandwiches
hamburgers (I can pull it off once in a while although they will probably complain the whole time)
hot dogs
Kielbasa (turkey) with rice
toquitos (frozen LOL)
pizza
chicken parm (thanks for the idea!)
ShesaDreamer likes this.

Thank you *kiliki* for the beautiful siggy!

June 28th, 2012, 01:10 PM
The chicken parm in one of the faorites in my house. Poor DH doesn't even have any leftover for lunch

June 28th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I make ground (minced) beef into meatballs, its just meat, breadcrumbs, herbs and enough milk (or egg) to bind, then roll them in flour and put in a baking dish. Pour over a can of crushed tomatoes and top with grated cheese. bake till golden. My kids love this!!

If you can get dried stuffing mix (I dont know if you get that in the US) mix half and half with minced/ground beef and make into the balls and follow above idea-- thats really quick and easy, and make double, freeze half for another day.

June 28th, 2012, 03:01 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
I have a chicken and potatoes baking in the oven now. It's about to get wicked hot this weekend so we'll probably be using the leftover meat on salads and the like.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search