Pertussis - Whooping Cough

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2012, 07:19 PM
ForestJenn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, I've had a cough for almost three weeks now. It's super annoying and sometimes severe enough to leave me gasping or make me throw up. I called my doctor's office and talked to the nurse about it yesterday and she insisted that I go in as soon as possible. I ended up with an X-ray to check for pneumonia and they tested for me for Pertussis.

I'm clear on the pneumonia (one little fuzzy spot, but it's probably nothing) but we won't know for another 5 days about the pertussis. I wouldn't be too concerned except that I babysat an 8 month old last weekend and Adrian woke up with what looks like a cold this morning.

Adrian has been vaccinated, but if it turns out that I have pertussis, I'm supposed to call his pediatrician at the first sign of a cough. But based on my reading, the best time to catch it with antibiotics is when he's in the initial phase BEFORE he starts coughing.

So I guess I'm going to call my pediatrician's office tomorrow and get their take on it. I'd hate to start him on antibiotics for a cold (because there is a summer cold going around right now too.) But we are in the midst of a pertussis epidemic here in WA, so I don't want to fool around with that either...especially since there are babies at daycare.

Ugh. I wish it wouldn't take so long to get the screening results.

I wonder if I should keep him home tomorrow?

Loving every minute of being a mommy!
June 28th, 2012, 10:40 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
I have no advice at all. A kid in our PDO had it and they're still battling a year and a half later to completely get rid of it.
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
June 28th, 2012, 01:18 PM
maryslittlelambs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ugh...no idea. I hope you get some answers soon. I know it can be a tricky illness to beat.

Thank you *kiliki* for the beautiful siggy!

June 28th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I ended up keeping him home today because he's sick anyway. He had a runny nose last night and was complaining about a sore throat this morning. He seemed to be running a low grade fever so I just resigned myself to spending the PTO. Hey, it's an extra day with him, so it could be worse.

I think I'm going to hold off calling his pediatrician until after I get my results back. I keep going back and forth in my head about the likelyhood of my having whooping cough. I chalk it up to allergies and then have a coughing fit that leaves me breathless and think ok, it's got to be something more than allergies.

So we''ll just have to wait and see I guess. In the meantime, I have an inhaler. This thing is a little magical. I just wish I could use it more often than once every 4 hours. It only seems to last an hour.

June 28th, 2012, 02:27 PM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
Well I remember the mom telling us to listen to if he had bark like coughs, apparently the coughs sound different than normal ones.
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
June 28th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Fist Pumping Champ
Wow, that's freaky. I've been dealing with a cough for 2-3 wks and it's a dry cough. H says I sound like a 90 yr old smoker, hacking up a lung. It's slowed some and Siera doesn't have it but now I'm worried. Ugh. I hope it comes back NOT whooping cough. I didn't even realize adults could get it :-( KUP Jenn!

May 2013 - Ectopic pregnancy
July 2014 - Miscarriage

June 29th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I think I wouldn't stress about a mild cough in a child unless you know there's whooping cough going around. WA is in the midst of an epidemic at the moment.

Here's a fact sheet:
Pertussis (Whooping Cough)

The things to know though are that older kids and adults are more likely to catch it these days because the vaccination wears off over time. It's generally milder because we have at least some immunity. There's generally no "whoop" associated with the cough in adolescents, adults and infants.

So for adults and teens, you're encouraged to be evaluated any time you have a productive cough for more than two weeks. In some cases they'll do a swab, but the test is $400 (yikes!) so if you're uninsured and in an area where there have been a lot of cases they'll sometimes just go ahead and treat you. In my case, they did the swab and I should know on Monday or Tuesday.

Part of me really wants it to come back negative because there are so many little kids in my life. Another part of me wants it to come back positive so that they can treat the cough. It's not getting any better at all and I've had mine for 3 weeks now. I'm super sick of it.

June 29th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Fist Pumping Champ
Aww Jenn, I'm sorry! I know what you mean about hoping it is just so you get treated. I hope you get your results soon so you can figure out what it is and get better soon! It sucks being sick, even if it is just a cough.

May 2013 - Ectopic pregnancy
July 2014 - Miscarriage

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search