Home Organization

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By catherineclare
  • 2 Post By Adriana's Mommy
  • 1 Post By catherineclare

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2012, 05:31 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am pretty bad at this. And I hate to admit it but my house is so disorganized and cluttered. I need to do something about it.

I can't stand it anymore it is embarrassing to have people over. It is clean just cluttered with things all over the place.

Do you have any organizing tips?

What is your philosophy are purging things?

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

July 14th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
No organization advice but I know purging for me is easy as I move every three or four years I just go though everything then

July 16th, 2012, 12:50 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My husband and I are VERY good at purging whether it be clothes or belongings. We try to go though our things several times a year. I've really figured out a lot in terms of organizing in the last year or so, so I'll list them below.

Clothes- Go through your closet and drawers. If you haven't worn it in a year you're probably never going to wear it so purge. I always creat a keep pile, a purge pile and a maybe pile. The maybe pile I keep around a few days incase I change my mind. Everything else immediately goes to Goodwill.

Bedrooms- I know mine tends to become a dumping ground. I went through mine and really considered what needed to be out and what didn't. Like for instance do you need a lot of nicnack type stuff? If u have a nightstand is it full of junk you aren't using? I even purged jewelry. If it wasn't real stuff and just costume jewelry that I hadn't worn in forever I got rid of it. Bedrooms are supposed to be relaxing so really go through and anything that isn't necessary get rid of or move to a garage or something.

Kitchen- I use my pantry for storage of household stuff. I got clear plastic stackable containers and separated stuff out. Batteries and that type of stuff go in one...office supplies in another. I grouped things together that made sense. Then I labeled them. That way if anyone needs anything they don't have to dig. My food in the cabinets is also grouped together. I got more containers and put like foods together. Dollar Tree has these clear containers.

Bathroom- kind of same as the kitchen. I grouped things together. Medicines go together in one big closed container and my alternative remedies/medicines go in another container. I keep one of those acrylic container with dividers on the counter. I put the stuff I use everyday in that. Lotion, deodorant etc. then my other things are in little divider trays in my bathroom drawers.

Toys- this has taken me a bit but I finally have it down. All of Ben's toys have to be in the living room so I had to be creative. I have a bunch of these colored baskets from Dollar Tree. He has a basket for each set of whatever. I have one of those Expedit bookcases from Ikea that holds most of his toys. For stuffed animals (we have a TON) I use a large round bucket from Walmart. It was $5 I think. Then the rest are in those pop up hampers. Those things hold a lot. I also keep his toys that won't fit in baskets in my ottoman.

Living room- DVDs are all on shelves and I keep remotes in baskets.

Baskets and storage containers are my life savers. Oh and for extra stuff like winter/summer clothes storage I use the giant containers. I try to watch for sales at Target for those. We have them stacked up in the garage. Purging tho is something you either like to do or don't. The key to purging is remembering its all just STUFF. Can you take it with you in the end? We all have way too many things and it really feels good when you can just cut that down.

Cathy- I think if you just start in one area and see the improvement you are making you'll be motivated to tackle the whole house. It feels so good and freeing to get rid of the junk sorry this was so long I just was thinking of everything I had done to my own place. We are in 1128 sq ft of space so I had to get creative lol
Adriana's Mommy likes this.
July 16th, 2012, 05:02 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
WOW CatherineClaire thank you so much for the advice.

I will be hitting one room at a time. I am just tired of how things look. I am a little down and I hope doing this will help me.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

July 16th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
My issues are the toys.. Storage totes and labels have been a life saver.

Rotation of items too.. For the kids toys, I have only a few out for a week and the rest are stored. I rotate the toys weekly.. This has been a life saver because it is easy for the kids to put their toys up instead of being over whelmed.. Same with dress up clothes.. I only keep 2 or 3 out and the rest in a storage tote, which I rotate. Also, the toys are only in ONE room. Having toys in one area of the house helps keeps things in order so much! I do let a few items come upstairs though..

I'll take some pictures so you can see how their playroom looks.

Edit: Here are the pictures.

This area is also a therapy room for A.J when the therapist work with him. I'm still working on his ball and trampoline area. Once that is complete, I'll share a picture.

Dress up and baby doll section

Art supplies and stuff that needs adult supervision is on top of the book case but everything else is easily accessible for the kids.

One pretend food item out and building blocks in the basket.

Now the storage room.. I have all the stuffed animals and extra dress up clothes in a tote, hidden behind those big balls.

Puzzles and play food in small totes that are labeled
(Use Glad Press and Seal to wrap up your puzzles, this prevents all the puzzles mixing together and makes for easy exchanging.)

And then the bins that organize the other toys but still in order.

As for purging items.. This is my struggle.. I have to wait until I'm ready to get rid of items..

I hope this helps you with your home. I know as a working mom, it is HARD to keep up with everything in the home and then add on spending time with the kids. (hugs) Don't beat yourself up for not having the house sparkling clean. It is NORMAL.. Your a great mom and it's okay to let things slide once in a while..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; July 16th, 2012 at 07:35 AM.
July 16th, 2012, 09:27 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cathy- No problem! I completely understand clutter. It can take over and leave you feeling overwhelmed and well...just cruddy! You can think better too in an uncluttered space. I find that when things start piling up I get agitated and am a little scattered. Definitely start one room at a time. Also check out some organizing blogs. Don't be discouraged by all of some peoples fancy containers and this and that. You can pick up lots of stuff from Dollar Tree and Walmart and Target usually have deals on containers. For awhile I was reading blogs and kind of getting inspired and at the same time depressed because there was no way I could get my house as organized as some of these bloggers....then I realized that I have kids and a husband and its nearly impossible to be like those ladies! I mean you see pictures of their homes and they are immaculate. They also start looking very sterile (or at least to me) after awhile. They don't look like a place you would feel relaxed and at home in ya know? So start small and build up to the purging and organizing. The bathroom is a good place to start because we all have junk in there that needs to GO! I think once you start throwing stuff out even if its old lotions or whatever you'll be inspired and go nuts

Melissa- LOVE your play area!!! I long for a whole area I can dedicate just to toys and play! Some day....hopefully sooner than later! Do you havea basement or is that just a downstairs? Im a bit obsessed with basements. I grew up with one and haven't had one in years...clearly cant have one in CA due to earthquakes When we buy tho it will be out of state and Im determined to have one!
July 16th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherineclare View Post

Melissa- LOVE your play area!!! I long for a whole area I can dedicate just to toys and play! Some day....hopefully sooner than later! Do you havea basement or is that just a downstairs? Im a bit obsessed with basements. I grew up with one and haven't had one in years...clearly cant have one in CA due to earthquakes When we buy tho it will be out of state and Im determined to have one!
We have a basement. When we had our house built that was one of the items we wanted. Love it.. The basement is 1300 sqft. So there is lots of room. Their Playroom is about 1/4 size of that room. The rest is the family room. Hopefully in the near future we install a Projector TV with a big screen.. It will be like watching a movie in a theater. We wanted the basement for that reason. I also like that my DH computer room is down there and the guest bedroom.

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; July 16th, 2012 at 11:24 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search