ABCs

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By GranolaMamaOf3
  • 1 Post By MommaTrish
  • 1 Post By MayBTheresHope

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2012, 04:08 AM
MayBTheresHope's Avatar MayBTheresHope
So does your LO recognize them or know what sounds they make? I don't know if P just doesn't get them or if she does but pretends not to...i will ask her questions about letters and her answer to everything is almost always, "A.". Then she laughs with this mischevious little grin on her face. I don't know how much they are supposed to be grasping at this age, but since they are working on letters at pre-school, I thought I would try to reinforce it at home, too. Not much, but asking her a few questions at the dinner Table and trying to make it fun. She doesn't seem to want to play along, though an dI don't know if it is because she doesn't understand or if she is playing like she doesn't know just to get my goat. Any thoughts?

Thank you Mama Trish for my fabulous siggies!
July 16th, 2012, 05:42 AM
KatieHeitman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KatieHeitman Send a message via Skype™ to KatieHeitman
Alex knows most of the letters, but does not know the sounds. But he likes to play the same trick where he'll tell us letter F is letter D or something like that. His favorite is to do that with colors. I bet Presley knows more than she is letting on.
July 16th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Hesperleigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree that she probably knows more than she seems. Haeden does this with me all the time. I'll ask him to tell me what a letter is and he tells me, "I don't know" or says the wrong one, even though I know that he knows. The girl that watches him during the day has told me that he knows the alphabet better than her son who is already four, so I don't know why he pretends with me. He also doesn't have any interest in tracing letters at home or working on shapes, but he will do it for her.

Of course, she also tells me he's a perfect angel at her house, so I'm not really sure who she is talking about sometimes! haha

maryslittlelambs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Zachary knows them by sight, and probably knows some of the sounds but we've taken a break from it for a while. I want to get him the fridge magnet thing with all the letters...my kids all loved that (the one that you switch the letter out and it sings the song).
We've been working lately on counting to 20...he seems to always forget 15, which makes sense because it should be 5-teen not fif-teen!

Thank you *kiliki* for the beautiful siggy!

MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
You'd be surprised how many parents don't want daycare teachers working on stuff like this with their kids. Like at ours we're constantly making at least one parent angry. They want their kids to learn stuff, but they're "too little" to learn that... it's insane.
I know in our class, with the previous teacher, they just worked on the ABC song, learning to recognize their name (not necessarily the letters), things like that.

Anyway, as far as I know, Bella doesn't know hers. She knows the song, but that's it, and totally doesn't count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryslittlelambs View Post
...We've been working lately on counting to 20...he seems to always forget 15, which makes sense because it should be 5-teen not fif-teen!
Zach and Ryan both had HUGE troubles with 15 also! It was a battle getting them to learn it.
mom of: Zach (9), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
July 16th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Come to think of it, Presley gets lost at 15, too. Oh, and Mary, she has the fridge magnet set, but never pays anyattention to it. She is always too busy playing daycare with her babies or running around outside visiting with all of the neighbors. I am glad to hear that she isn't the only defiant kiddo, though. Little stinkers!

July 17th, 2012, 06:48 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Plug your ears Trish

I tend to agree with Rudolf Steiner's Waldorf method of education here. I think three year olds are too young to be seriously learning stuff like this.. I think too much focus is put on reading/phonics at much too young an age. I think during the early years the focus should be on language development; through nursery rhymes, songs, reading classic literature TO them, etc.. If their language skills are strong, phonics will come much easier at a later age. BE has a HUGE vocabulary, and great grammar, and that's of far more importance to me right now. He uses words like "frightened" on a regular basis.

That being said; We do some basic sight recognition, such as he recognizes and points out "B is for Bryce", and knows that M is for mommy, D is for daddy, C is for Conlan.. We play with foam letters in the bathtub, but we wont push it until later, and all of this has been self motivated.

I'm not trying to say that if your child is ASKING to learn their letters you should prohibit them from doing so, but if they are "acting silly", or "dumb", or just plain old not showing any interest in learning their ABC's right now, I wouldn't pressure them to do so, because there are many other more important things for them to be learning right now. Like how to use their imagination... They'll be stuck behind a desk doing school long enough as it is. Why not just let them be little? KWIM?

Last edited by GranolaMamaOf3; July 17th, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
July 17th, 2012, 10:16 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
Lol Heather! That's actually my thoughts on it too.
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.
mom of: Zach (9), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
July 17th, 2012, 01:36 PM
SandKmommy's Avatar Seamus and Kieran's Mommy
Kieran knows and recgonizes all the letters because she has a couple letter games/toys, and an older sibling. But the only letter sound she knows is S like Snake lol

I'll tell you, at least here, they aren't required to ok now the letter sounds (and not the tricky ones like how a can make a few different sounds) by the end of Kindergarten, so our kids are still really young to be knowing sounds. I think at this age they are normally jsut starting to pick up on a few letters like what their name starts with. Seamus didn't know any till he was in Head Start/Preschool at 4years old. He also didnt' have an older sibling like Kieran does to learn from either.

July 18th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I'm glad the focus at this age is on language development and imaginative play. Presley is great at both! One of the things that we do a lot is story building. Some of the stuff she comes up with cracks me up! And I teach her big words all the time, like ridiculous, frightened, hilarious etc. I was just wondering if I should be concerned if she wasn't picking up on phonics, letter recognition at this point. She does know that egg starts with the letter E (her favorite food) and that butt starts with the letter B (her favorite word)...lol.
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

July 18th, 2012, 11:47 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Sounds like you are doing exactly what you need to do. Keep up the good work! the rest will come in due time

PS - I love hearing BE use words like "ridicules" It's so stinkin' cute!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search