Update on A.J

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By *Jennifer*
  • 1 Post By wildflower_142

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Just a little update on A.J. Back in June we FINALLY started IBI (Intensive Behavior Therapy). It was a big fight to get this. Average age for a child to receive this service in my state is after the age of 3. It was a long process with lots of run around and lots of tears on my part.. But one thing I learned that this is apart of the process. Getting help is not that easy, when they say a parent advocates for their child, it's so true!! Granted I only had 6 months of a wait time, most people wait a year or longer to get where I'm at. So I don't really complain to much. I am lucky I live in a state that has awesome services. Keep in mind, IBI services is different from regular state services, like a Infant toddler program.

A.J is also receiving speech therapy from a Speech therapist that works specifically with children with Autism. He gets to see her once a week. Then the teachers at preschool (he goes to a developmental preschool) continue therapy and so does A.J's IBI therapist. Having the proper environment has made a huge difference with A.J. The IBI therapist do therapy at preschool and at our home. So we are pretty busy.. They therapy he is doing is based on the Early Denver Start Model.

In June our Speech therapist told us about Biomedical treatment for Autism. The DAN! protical says Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies are all interlinked. A.J has 3 of the four A's. So, we decided to see a DAN! medical doctor since it's a natural approach to healing autism. A.J is on all kinds of medications to help heal his gut and creams to help boost his immune system. He is also on lots of supplements. This is an expensive treatment but my A.J is worth every penny.

We also did a food allergy testing called a IgG test. This test is done in a specific lab in Florida called the Alcat. This breaks down the delayed allergy on a cellular level. Our test had him tested for 150 foods, 10 environmental and preservatives. When A.J's test came back he was sensitive to 39 foods, 2 chemicals, and 4 environmental chemicals. Found out A.J has a severe Casien allergy, which means no dairy products of any kinds. He is also senstive to Almonds, Soy, and Cocoanuts. This leaves only Rice milk for A.J. Learned he is allergic to Turkey, Cinnamon, vanilla, Oats, Rye, eggs, and beans to name a few. His is also allergic to BHT,which is found in almost all regular cereals. Luckily he likes Organic cereal, which is BHT free. Also allergic to Red and blue dye and floride.

Some people think Autism can be cured and it's food related. I can honestly say, I believe this.. Since we started A.J on a gluten free/ Casien free diet he has changed dramatically. Now that we know what he is sensitive too, we are cutting those out too and he is just blossoming. It's amazing.

In this video, the doctor is talking about vaccinations. I remember a week after A.J's 4 month shots, he got really sick and ended up in hospital. That is when everything started. I do wish I would have spaced them out instead all at once. But what this doctor says makes sense.

Autism - Dr Dan Speaks on Autism - YouTube

Listen to what the doctor says at 3:40.. Makes me so happy.. I'm so thankful A.J has such a great team behind him.. We believe when A.J goes to Kindergarten, he will be in a regular class and no one will know he is autistic. I do think they will be blown away with his amazing memory.

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; July 20th, 2012 at 07:58 AM.
July 20th, 2012, 07:43 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Can I just tell you how much I respect you as a mother?

I am going to be 100% honest with you and tell you that when you 1st suspected AJ's autism, I thought you may have just been comparing him to other kids who were ahead developmentally. I knew nothing about about the autism spectrum and thought kids today are overdiagnosed. I am so sorry about doubting you.

I see what an advocate you are for your son and want to commend you on it. WTG momma!
Adriana's Mommy likes this.
July 20th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Thank you for being honest with me. We are all learning more about this everyday. I'm glad you have more awareness and that you understand.

I know that you would do the same if you were in my shoes.

July 20th, 2012, 01:55 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am glad to hear that he is doing so well and has improved.

I applaud you for all that you are doing for A.J. I know you wouldn't do anything less.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

July 20th, 2012, 07:26 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So excited to read how well he is doing when you removed the allergies! Keep us updated we love to hear how he is doing, especially when he is thriving like this! I cant imagine how much time, energy and money this all takes, I hope you remind yourself often that you are doing an amazing job! Although I'm sure you see that every time you look at AJ
July 21st, 2012, 09:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
That is so great compared tonyou I only got a small taste of something being wrong with your kid and you don't know how ton help and one you can its like a huge weight lifted of your shoulders I am so happy he is doing so well. And you are doing a wonderful job.

July 23rd, 2012, 06:51 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so glad he's doing well and responding to the treatment. You are doing such a good job! You should be very proud of yourself and of AJ.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

July 25th, 2012, 09:00 AM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
Glad you're seeing an improvement in AJ i have no doubts that he could be in regular classes. Madisyn was diagnosed with Autism (she's high functioning) at the age of 6. I knew she had autism since she was 2, it was just hard finding someone to diagnose her. Anyway she's been in regular classes since starting school. In fact we just got a letter in the mail from the school wanting to test her for gifted classes. She is so smart and has an amazing memory. That being said, Ashleigh's friend is also high functioning autism and our school did want to put him in special classes. I'm not sure why since he is just like Madisyn, extremely smart and with an amazing gift for knowing facts.
Adriana's Mommy likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search