Swimming Lessons

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By GranolaMamaOf3
  • 1 Post By Mommy2PrestonandGavin
  • 1 Post By Mommy2PrestonandGavin

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Mommy2PrestonandGavin's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Preston had his first swimming lesson tonight. He went back with his instructor and stretched and got on his little floaty belt. He kicked his feet in the water sitting on the side and was fine until they got in the water. He didn't seem to like it. One of the instructors was kinda pulling him along in the water and he kept getting out when she would put him back by the wall. She would coax him back in the water eventually. Then the last time she was kinda pulling him along and his head went under the water a little. He got back to the side and freaked out and was screaming for mommy and daddy. We went around and got him out because he was making such a big fuss. He said he was too scaredy! So now what...do I try to take him again tomorrow? What do I do if he freaks out and doesn't want to go back or in the water? I went to swimming lessons each year when I was younger but was really afraid to jump off the diving board one year and I refused to go back and my mom didn't make me. I never became a strong swimmer. I want my boys to know how to swim!

Thanks Katidid622 for my adorable siggy!

July 31st, 2012, 07:11 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Poor guy! I think he just doesn't feel he can trust the instructor because they were pushing him too much. Maybe try to find a new instructor? And make it clear that they need to go slow (at least in the beginning) to earn his trust, respect and confidence. I hope he decides he likes it!
MommaTrish likes this.

August 1st, 2012, 03:45 AM
So, we ended up switching him to the class for younger kids. It's a tot and parent class. DH goes in the pool with him and he still cried most of the time, but he made it through a whole lesson yesterday! This way though he will get used to the pool. I don't care if it takes awhile. I just want him to learn how to swim and enjoy the water eventually! I figure it's not a race we can kinda ease him into it.
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.

August 2nd, 2012, 06:56 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
That sounds like a great plan! At least you know he's in good hands too! (with your DH)

August 8th, 2012, 08:17 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
Glad the switch helped some. I think all kids need to be comfortable in the water, and at least know how to stay afloat - not necessarily swim.

Is he doing any better?
mom of: Zach (9), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
August 13th, 2012, 10:13 AM
He cried the whole lesson the first 4 lessons and held onto DH for dear life! Then the 5th lesson he cried part of the time and then started to take part in the class a little and kick his feet. Then he had fun the 6th lesson and by the last (8th) lesson he was doggy paddling by himself with DH next to him in the deep end!!!

Here he is on the last day!

MommaTrish likes this.

August 13th, 2012, 11:36 AM
peapod's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is awesome!!!!!

Tha
nk You Justine *SandKmommy* for an awesome siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search