speech eval results..

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 11th, 2012, 12:19 PM
wildflower_142's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
I took Catie for her Speech evaluation on August 7th. I just received the report in the mail. Here is some of the highlights of what was said.. (the actual report is 4 pages long!)

Cathryn____ age 2 years 9 months was seen at the Center for a communication evaluation on 8/7/12, following a referral by Dr._________. Her mother, who indicated she is concerned about Cathryn's speech and language development, accompanied her for this evaluation.

Early speech and language development appears to have occurred at a delayed rate, as Cathryn primarily communicates through the use of sounds, screaming, pointing and words at this time. She is occasionally combining 2 words.

Due to the clients age separation from her mother was not attempted. Cathryn is fairly coorporative for test activities that involved looking at the picture book but was generally not compliant for test activities that involved following directions that involved objects. Results of this speech-language evaluation indicate that Cathryn's expressive language skills and her receptive language skills are mildly delayed for her chronological age. Her articulation skills, voice, and fluency are within normal limits. Oral motor skills were unable to be assessed due to lack of cooperation.

Cathryn needs to begin to demonstrate skills, such as pointing to body parts and imitating sounds, for her most familiar communication partner, her mother. She then needs to increase her ability to perform these and the other suggested skills for others in her family.

A home program was sent in order to work to improve Cathryn's speech language skills. Written and verbal suggestions were given for beginning work on speech and language skills at home. These results and recommendations were discussed with her mother at the conclusion of the evaluation and agreed up. Mrs.________ should contact the ____________hearing and speech center to have Cathryn re-evaluated if she is still concerned with Cathryn's speech and language development in 6 months.

The following are suggested skills to work on at home to help Cathryn to improve her use and understanding of language:

1. Increase Cathryn's ability to point to named body parts.
2. Increase Cathryn's ability to imitate mouth movements, speech, and non speech sounds
3. Increase Cathryn's ability to imitate words
4. increase Cathryn's ability to use verbs and modifiers.
5. increase Cathryn's ability to name a variety of pictured objects
6. increase Cathryn's ability to follow directions given by a variety of people and to make requests of a variety of people.

Auditory Comprehension Raw Score: 27 std. score 79 [U]Age equiv[U] 2yrs 0mos
Expressive communication Raw Score: 26 std. score 80 [U]Age equiv[U] 1 yr 9mos
Total Language Score Raw Score: 53 std. score78 [U]Age equiv[U] 1 yr 11 mos

average standard tests 85-115. Average Percentile rank=50

There's a lot more. But that's the gist of the eval. A lot of things they couldn't test because Cathryn wouldn't follow all the directions given to her.

August 12th, 2012, 06:03 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It could be that she is still young.

Try to work with her at home. I know it is hard. Breana is in speech class and she will be 5 on Tuesday.

I am not saying that you are doing it but if Catie wants something like a glass of milk, make her say May I have a glass of milk, instead of just getting it for her because you know what she wants. Help her in the communication department. Things like that might help in my opinon.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

August 13th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Send a message via AIM to wildflower_142 Send a message via Yahoo to wildflower_142
they said since she's no where near making actual sentences like that. to first work with her on immitating facial expressions and making non sence noises. Like cow goes moo, Cat goes meow. car goes vroom. that kind of stuff. Once she can do those we move onto actual words. There is no way she'd be able to say "may i have a glass of milk". I'm lucky if I hear "mommy, gook". (gook is her word for drink)

August 14th, 2012, 08:01 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh sorry I didn't realize that.

I hope you can some progress with her.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

August 14th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
Well its a start I hope she starts to pick it up soon

August 15th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Well she "talks" a lot, but usually i'm the only one who understands what she wants LOL! For example

Gook (rhymes with book) is drink. It can mean milk, water, juice, whatever. Not sure how she came up with it. But that's what it means.

Coo Coo Oh-Key Means she has a poopy diaper. Ken thinks she's trying to say Poo Poo Yucky. But without fail she'll hand me a diaper say Coo Coo Oh-key and have a poopy diaper.

August 15th, 2012, 06:43 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's a start! It does sound like she is trying to talk. You being the only one who can understand her at times makes sense. There are times when I'm the only one who can understand Lucy. I spend the most amount of time with her and so hear her speak the most.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

August 16th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
It's a good base line.. Hopefully she'll start pronouncing words better so everyone can understand.

A.J's speech has been improving everyday. He is easy to understand what he wants but thats with the help of a IBI therapist and Speech therapist working with him everyday. Do you plan getting Catie into speech therapy?

August 17th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Possibly. We're going to work with her at home at first. I'm hoping she's like Madisyn and is just slow to get started. Madisyn didn't start talking until 3 and by the time she was 4 she was caught up to the rest of the kids her age.

August 18th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
too lazy to read the responses (sorry!) Def. work with two - three words sentences when she wants something "snack please?" "gook please?" (saw that one. )

The pointing thing sounds like a great idea. When C was in ST, we did a lot of pointing and naming. Bath time was a big one for colors, letters, and body parts and we still do this with B. I sing "this is the way we wash our arm, foot, hand, face, etc. and then point to the part and ask whoever what it is. When we were doing this with C, it wasn't that I wanted him to say the actual word perfectly, I just wanted a try, like arm was ah for a long while with him.. And I started describing EVERYTHING. "Ohh, mommy needs the TV remote to turn on cartoons. Mommy put on Barney. He is purple. blah blah blah..." I pretty much started narrating EVERYTHING.

I think I threw out C's info about where he was with that stuff.. I know we started at 27 months.. And his hearing and following directions was great, but the kid could not pronounce ANYTHING. I was called the o sound in mom for a while then that sound with eee at the end And tom was ah like in dad

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search