What are you reading these days (to your LO)?

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By SassyMama
  • 1 Post By GiftsfromGod
  • 1 Post By SassyMama
  • 1 Post By LadyBugMommyof1
  • 1 Post By GranolaMamaOf3
  • 1 Post By Hesperleigh

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2012, 10:38 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Okay book loving mamas (I know there are at least a few of you in here) and teachers. I'm curious; What type of books are you reading to your LO's lately?

Many of you already know I was home-schooled. One of my favorite home-school memories was my mom reading allowed to us in the evenings. It's something we've been doing with our boys before bed each night. We go to the library weekly, and usually come home with a canvas tote bag full of books. Many along the lines of these listed here. Recently though, I was inspired by a post on Pinterest about reading chapter books to children. I realize this list was directed at 4-7 year olds, but I though it sounded like fun and decided we'd give it a try. So last week we picked up "Little House In The Big Woods" and started reading one chapter each night (I figure one chapter isn't any longer than, say, "Make Way for Ducklings" which he enjoys). So far BE really likes it! I was curious what his comprehension would be, but after having him stop me mid sentence and predict what was about to happen in the story, I don't worry about that any more

So I'm curious; Has anyone else broached chapter books with their LO yet? I know it's still a bit early; what are your thoughts on this?

Does your LO have a current favorite book?

BE really likes anything by Virginia Lee Burton and Robert McCloskey, and some Dr. Seuss

Last edited by GranolaMamaOf3; September 17th, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
September 17th, 2012, 01:04 PM
SassyMama's Avatar Fist Pumping Champ
I have a collection of fairy tales and poetry that Siera likes to listen to. She's big on "Little Red Riding Hood," "Rumpelstiltskin," "The Princess and the Frog"... short stories like that. She also loves to read "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" and she tries to read it aloud to me which I think is hilarious - her variation of the story is funny since she goes by the pictures and what she can remember.

I haven't tried chapter books yet. I don't think she'll put two and two together and realize that it's the same book but what do I know? I don't even know which ones are good to start with really. I have "Charlotte's Web" but I think that's too old for her...
GranolaMamaOf3 likes this.
September 17th, 2012, 05:05 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I read chapter books aloud to my kids. They play quietly with toys while I read. One of my goals for 2012 is to read 2,012 pages from Christian biographies or classic children's literature to my kids. We got a little behind with the move this summer but I think we'll be able to catch up. We just finished The House at Pooh Corner and right now are reading The Velveteen Rabbit. Little House in the Big Woods is on our list to read before the end of the year.

As far as a favorite book James loves letters so he really enjoys any type of ABC book. He isn't one to sit next to you and cuddle while you read (my oldest is) but he does listen when I read aloud and absorbs a lot of the information and story.

[
September 17th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Dina - do you know who publishes the collection you have?

Ruth - I'd love a peek at your list of books for this year! Could you maybe pm me on fb?

September 18th, 2012, 07:00 AM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranolaMama View Post

Ruth - I'd love a peek at your list of books for this year! Could you maybe pm me on fb?
I'll try to remember to send it to you later

[
September 18th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftsfromGod View Post
I'll try to remember to send it to you later
That's fine. Just whenever. I know you're busy with a new little one

September 18th, 2012, 08:44 AM
jennifer13's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we have a ton of books, Xavier loves for me to read me makes me read everything, sotimes twice LOL

September 18th, 2012, 09:44 AM
SassyMama's Avatar Fist Pumping Champ
Quote:
Dina - do you know who publishes the collection you have?

They're published by Sterling. I have three books (not sure if there's more? but I think there is) and bought them at TJ Maxx. One is Mother Goose rhymes, one is a book of poetry by Robert Louis Stevenson, and the other is the book of Fairy Tales and Fables.

Mother Goose
Fairy Tales and Fables
A Child's Garden of Verses
September 18th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Hesperleigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You probably don't want to know the last thing I read. hehe

As for Haeden, we read each night before bed. I know he also reads with the girl that watches him. We're still just doing short books... if the book is too long then he starts getting pretty distracted. His favorites include...

Little Blue Truck
There's An Alligator Under My Bed
A couple of fireman books that I can't remember the names to...
Still loves all of the Eric Carle books

I try to pickup books anytime we go to a secondhand place. Last time I was excited to get one with a bunch of fairy tales in it. I was pretty surprised though when I actually read through it because it's obviously old enough that they weren't afraid to scare kids. The wolf eats the pigs in Three Little Pigs and the wolf eats the Grandma and Little Red Riding Hood (though someone kills the wolf and saves them). Didn't seem to phase H though...

September 19th, 2012, 04:58 AM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, my mom has read some chapter books to Hazel...Mrs. Pigglewiggle & I'm not are what else.

She adores the Bearenstein Bears and Curious George these days and will bring 10 books or more to me and say, "it's reading time!". She also likes the Good Dog Carl books still and reads them to us...

There isn't a book she doesn't like. In fact, my mom read her the entire Mary Englebrect's nursery rhyme book to her the other day in ONE sitting!

Dina, Hazel also loves to read the Little Caterpillar book to us! It's adorable the 3 year pld's rendition!!! I can just imagine Siera!
September 19th, 2012, 07:20 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
Bella has like no patience for books. We try, but she just won't sit through one. It drives me bonkers because the big boys LOVE sitting and listening to stories at bedtime (we do chapter books then also) but Bella wants nothing to do with it and actually has to be sent out of the room because she makes it hard for Ryan to pay attention. I wish she would. I've been saving my copy of this to read to her (the boys outgrew fairy tales at about four. lol) and she just won't sit and listen.
mom of: Zach (9), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
September 19th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyMama View Post
They're published by Sterling. I have three books (not sure if there's more? but I think there is) and bought them at TJ Maxx. One is Mother Goose rhymes, one is a book of poetry by Robert Louis Stevenson, and the other is the book of Fairy Tales and Fables.

Mother Goose
Fairy Tales and Fables
A Child's Garden of Verses
OMG! I want!

September 19th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesperleigh View Post
You probably don't want to know the last thing I read. hehe

As for Haeden, we read each night before bed. I know he also reads with the girl that watches him. We're still just doing short books... if the book is too long then he starts getting pretty distracted. His favorites include...

Little Blue Truck
There's An Alligator Under My Bed
A couple of fireman books that I can't remember the names to...
Still loves all of the Eric Carle books

I try to pickup books anytime we go to a secondhand place. Last time I was excited to get one with a bunch of fairy tales in it. I was pretty surprised though when I actually read through it because it's obviously old enough that they weren't afraid to scare kids. The wolf eats the pigs in Three Little Pigs and the wolf eats the Grandma and Little Red Riding Hood (though someone kills the wolf and saves them). Didn't seem to phase H though...
Funny you should mention "Little Blue Truck". I'd never heard of it before tonight when a friend was telling me about it said she's getting it for C for his birthday!

Oh and yeah, I love nursery rhymes and fairy tales, but the classic Grim Brothers are, well, grim..
Hesperleigh likes this.

September 20th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Hesperleigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Funny you should mention "Little Blue Truck". I'd never heard of it before tonight when a friend was telling me about it said she's getting it for C for his birthday!

Oh and yeah, I love nursery rhymes and fairy tales, but the classic Grim Brothers are, well, grim..
Yay! Haeden loves them. We have two. The original is by a farm and there is also one where he goes into the city. Haeden can recite most of both of them. You'll like it -- he is a good and polite little truck. It's funny because in the city book there are other cars and trucks that are being rude and Haeden will take the book from me and tell them that they are not allowed to act like that. He gives them a lesson in being polite and kind! LOL

September 20th, 2012, 04:59 PM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jamie is big in the Llama Llama books right now. She is right now reading Llama Llama home with Mama.
September 20th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Avery will read just about anything with me...she loves books just like her Mama. We've only done short chapter books because she wants me to read the whole book in one sitting. Her favorite chapter books are the Mercy Watson series by Kate Dicamillo. Other current faves are Stellaluna, The Giving Tree, The berenstein Bears, and Max & Ruby books.
September 20th, 2012, 08:41 PM
peapod's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WE read after bath and right before bed. I just finished reading the first Harry Potter to Elias. He wanted me to read it to him, but I wasn't so keen on the idea. I felt it was a little old for him. When I would read I would leave out some words like drinking unicorn blood and talking about killing. He would play with his dinosaurs and ask me questions every once in a while. We also try to get to the library weekly. He loves monster books and books with tigers in them right now. I am thinking about what our next chapter book will be. I think he would like something like how to eat fried worms. Any suggestions?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search