Adrianna's Mommy

Forum: 2009 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2013, 10:23 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was wondering if you could give me some advice. Billy has a severe speech delay and is behind developmentally with his social skills. What can I expect from a speech and developmental eval? I am having them done separately. Is there anything I should do to prepare beforehand?

Thanks for your advice.
January 31st, 2013, 11:13 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Hello.

From my experience, the developmental eval was watching the therapist play with A.J. Seeing how A.J interacted with the therapist. They watched his eye contact,etc.. Same goes with speech. The therapist looked closely at his mouth and how he babbled and how his tongue moved,etc..

I would write down notes before the appointment about his developmental progress. Like how was your pregnancy, how was Billy's birth, how was he like when he was a newborn, how is his eye contact, when did he start to sitting up, crawling, walking, when did he speak his first words, Any kind of medical history like how often he was sick, any medications,etc..

Edit to add: The ADOS was the best test we did on A.J.
http://youtu.be/cIAL1SE0B6I

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; January 31st, 2013 at 11:28 AM.
January 31st, 2013, 12:25 PM
Thanks so much for the advice. Hubby and I were hoping he would catch up when he turned 3 since so many people said their kids did, but he is not progressing like he should. Hubby finally agreed to have him evaluated. It is really difficult for him to admit his son is delayed.
January 31st, 2013, 04:47 PM
It is hard. My husband is the same way. He still thinks A.J does not have Autism since he isn't like what he thinks Autism looks like.. What's important is he is getting help. It's been a year since A.J's diagnosis and he has already made huge improvement. His words are slowly coming, he is getting better with social skills (starting to play with kids his age), his fine motor skills are amazing. He gets therapy at preschool and at home.. Poor boy can't get away from it.. lol I can't wait until the day he can talk to me because he has a amazing memory.

I hope Billy gets the help he needs. Whats great is your catching it when he is young and his mind is easily trainable verses 2-3 years from now when he is set in his ways..

February 1st, 2013, 08:39 AM
I finally told my husband, "Look. He is still not progressing like he should be. Do you want to wait until he is in school to get help and have him start out behind or do you want him getting help now? Think of it as tutoring." When I put it that way, hubby was very open to it.

Plus we agreed that if the preschool teacher recommended it then we would get Billy evaluated. Well, we asked his preschool teacher and she said it would be a good idea.
February 1st, 2013, 09:13 AM
What is also good, is if you get help now Billy's mind is easy to redirect at this age. As he gets older, he will get set in his ways and it will take even twice as long to retrain his mind. That's why in the Autistic community it's important to get a early diagnosis. Ideally at age 2 is the best or younger.. They say at age 4 + it gets harder due to they get set in their ways.. I'm glad to hear your taking the next step..

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; February 1st, 2013 at 04:19 PM.
February 2nd, 2013, 09:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to natty
Hope the evaluate goes well

February 4th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Thank you. I am stopping by the school district to pick up the paperwork today. They were going to mail it to me, but I pass by it every day on my way home from work.
February 13th, 2013, 07:01 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hope all goes well

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

February 21st, 2013, 01:20 PM
How did it go? I hope your getting the answers your looking for.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search