what have you given up....

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 29th, 2009, 11:51 AM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
since your BFP or since TTC?

I'm on my way to giving up caffeine (at least down to one caffeinated diet coke per day )
and alcohol of course. That's all for me so far!

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

July 29th, 2009, 12:06 PM
MichelleN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I gave up Diet Coke back at the beginning of June. It was hard for me because I LOVE LOVE LOVE Diet Coke. I'm going to try to limit my intake of crystal light. But plan water gets so old. My OB is extremely paranoid about the stuff because it has aspartame in it. I've read on the internet that if you have aspartame in moderation that it is ok. So while I'm not going to give it up completely, I'm definitely not going to go overboard. Other than that I haven't had to give much up (don't smoke and don't drink very much).
July 29th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I'm going to have a very hard time giving up diet coke, so I switched to caffeine free. I'll have to ask my ob about aspartame.

July 29th, 2009, 12:41 PM
lauriebeth's Avatar mommy to Riley Grace
Due to a heart condition, I haven't had caffeine since November of 2007... however, a coke sounds SOOO good right now! Plus I think it would help with the headache I have! Since I had already stopped drinking caffeine, the only thing I've had to give up is Caffeine-Free Diet Coke/Pepsi! I've gotten to where I love them!!! I haven't had one since the BFP, though!

Thank you Meganpixel for my adorable siggy!

For crocheted hats and hair accessories visit *Daisy Cottage Designs* on Etsy!
July 29th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Coffee!!
July 29th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Baby #6 EDD 5/25/14
My sanity! lol! I quit smoking. We decided to ttc, and wanted to have the baby before summer and preferably in April around my mom's bday. So I slowed the first couple days, and then quit cold turkey once i started getting pregnancy symptoms. I'm having a hard time with it, but sticking through it. I obviously quit drinking, but those days of going out for drinks were already long gone, so I don't miss it. If I have a taste for beer, I will sip on an O'Douls.
Karen (34), mom to five (soon six) beautiful children....DS (15), DD (7), DS (6), DS (2), DD (5mos) and expecting baby #6 late May 2014!!!*Please do not mention on FB*

Pregnancy stats for baby #6, due late May 2014:
BFP (approx) 8dpo
(approx) 10dpo= HCG-31
(approx) 12dpo= HCG-123
(doubling time of 22.73 hours!!! )
8wk u/s appt scheduled for Oct. 14th

Prgnancy stats from baby #5:
13dpo= HCG-120, P4-20.5
19dpo= HCG-1427, (P4 was not taken again)
Doubling time = 40.31hrs
27dpo= HCG-19,935
Doubling = 50.47hrs (from 19dpo to 27dpo)
First doc appt & u/s scheduled for Sept 10th

pregnancy stats from baby #4:
12dpo= HCG 112
15dpo= HCG 586
Doubling time= 30.16

July 29th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Super Mommy
Hmm.. as I don't like the taste of either alcohol or coffee and I don't smoke, I haven't had to give up much, if anything. I do allow myself a cup or two of hot tea a day, and a regular caffeinated soda while out. I never have sodas in the house so it's only when I'm out. Maybe one or two a day if I go out. Otherwise my caffeine is limited to tea. Either way I try not to have more than two caffeinated drinks per day.

If anyone is curious, American Pregnancy Association says to limit to 150-300 mg a day. This link has a long list of caffeine amounts in individual drinks.
July 29th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Baby #6 EDD 5/25/14
Thanks for the link Carmona!!
Karen (34), mom to five (soon six) beautiful children....DS (15), DD (7), DS (6), DS (2), DD (5mos) and expecting baby #6 late May 2014!!!*Please do not mention on FB*

Pregnancy stats for baby #6, due late May 2014:
BFP (approx) 8dpo
(approx) 10dpo= HCG-31
(approx) 12dpo= HCG-123
(doubling time of 22.73 hours!!! )
8wk u/s appt scheduled for Oct. 14th

Prgnancy stats from baby #5:
13dpo= HCG-120, P4-20.5
19dpo= HCG-1427, (P4 was not taken again)
Doubling time = 40.31hrs
27dpo= HCG-19,935
Doubling = 50.47hrs (from 19dpo to 27dpo)
First doc appt & u/s scheduled for Sept 10th

pregnancy stats from baby #4:
12dpo= HCG 112
15dpo= HCG 586
Doubling time= 30.16

July 29th, 2009, 05:07 PM
LisaBrown's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've given up caffeine also and switched to decaf. My DH is diabetic, so we also usually buy products like crystal light and diet sodas sometimes, so I will try to limit those as well. I also LOVE creamy salad dressings (like ceasar and ranch) so I'm totally bummed that I can't have any! BOO! What am I supposed to put in my salads now...not sure yet!

July 29th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Lisa - from what I remember, you can have those dressings - the only concern is whether the ceasar dressing has raw eggs in it. I just went to the restaurants and asked if the dressing was pasteurized. I'm pretty sure if it's pasteurized, you can eat it. Ask your doc though. I don't think there's anything wrong with ranch. I eat ranch all the time, even when pg.

July 29th, 2009, 06:10 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Just caffeine really so far. I'd been trying to cut back anyway and had just about kicked the habit I stop wanting it when I preggo so it's pretty easy to give up. I don't stress about anything else. My OB doesn't give me a list of what to avoid. Just be smart about your choices and you'll be fine!

Oh, Ranch dressing is okay. It's the raw eggs and sardines in Caesar that are the problem.
July 30th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
I didn't know you can't have Caesar dressing! I had a Cesear salad two days ago.... Oh no.

Is there anything else we need to stay away from aside from the obvious...what about makeup? What about topical acne cream?? Any lotions that are bad?

See THIS is why I wish I could get in w/some type of doctor--hell, right now I'd even take talking to a vetrinarian!
July 30th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Caesar is okay in moderation, my boss ate it all the time despite my nagging and she has a beautiful perfectly fine 2 month old little girl.

Make up should be fine. Some people/Dr.'s say anything topical is fine. Some say it's not. Here is a link about acne medicine - Pregnancy Acne and Medicines

You can always call and ask a nurse line or your Dr's nurse.
July 30th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the caesar. I actually did eat it while pregnant with dean, I just made sure it was pasteurized first.

I think there may be some acne creams you need to avoid, so I would stop that until you see your doc. Makeup is fine and so are most lotions. The main things to avoid are alcohol, excessive caffeine, smoking, most medications (talk to your doc before taking any medications) and any things that might introduce significant bacteria to your body - they caution against soft cheeses (blue cheese), ceasar dressing, sandwich meat (although I still did occasionally eat it at a restaurant I trusted and it can be eaten if heated to kill bacteria.) That's all I can think of at the moment. You can make yourself crazy with all the cans and cants. Just try to make smart choices.

at veternarian!

July 30th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I just started a new thread with some links to lists of things to avoid. It's certainly just guidelines. You will definitely make yourself crazy with the can's and can't's!
July 30th, 2009, 07:54 AM
That's awesome! Thanks Mylene!

July 30th, 2009, 03:51 PM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I gave caffeine up when we started TTC. When I got Prego with my first I had to give up caffeine and it sucked. So this time it’s so much easier. But after all the talk about it a Pepsi sounds so good right now.

July 30th, 2009, 08:16 PM
k8liz311's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've given up caffiene..(well down to a couple sips in the morning) and no alcohol of course. Other then that.. I haven't had to give up anything else

July 31st, 2009, 03:53 AM
LIZZYI's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Coffee and smoking.....Believe it or not the coffee was easier then I thought. The smoking however has been so hard.. I just take it day by day.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search