Are you mama's going to get the H1N1 (Swine Flu) Vaccination??

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
On the news yesterday they said that the H1N1 vaccination should be available this October and us pregnant women are at teh top of the list to receive it (15 pregnant women died from it already).

Are you ladies going to get it?

I've never taken any type of flu vaccination before, and it kind of goes against my beliefs--I'm a bit of a naturalist.

But I don't want my beliefs to effect my unborn baby---so I don't know if I should get it.

They said the government is going to test it now, to make sure it's safe in October. But still, it's so brand new. It's a little scary.

Thoughts???
July 30th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Super Mommy
I am in a bit of a pickle. I'm a school bus driver so I'm at an increased risk for illness. But I really don't like the idea of a brand new vaccine. I really don't know.
July 30th, 2009, 06:49 AM
lauriebeth's Avatar mommy to Riley Grace
My initial thought is "no," but I'll look into it more between now and October.

Thank you Meganpixel for my adorable siggy!

For crocheted hats and hair accessories visit *Daisy Cottage Designs* on Etsy!
July 30th, 2009, 06:50 AM
MichelleN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I always get the flu shot. I even did when I was pregnant with my son. I'm not sure about a new vacine. I'll talk to my OB about it when it comes closer to time.
July 30th, 2009, 06:51 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
No and I work with the public. Something to also think about is that there will be 2 different flu vaccines this year - one for H1N1 and a regular flu vax. So really to fully "protect" yourself you'll need both. And I say "protect" because flu vaccines aren't always the right strains. Also H1N1 is changing so quickly the vaccine may not even work. Being cautious and clean is enough for me. Avoid anyone who seems sick and wash your hands like crazy!
July 30th, 2009, 06:58 AM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think so.... I worry about new vaccines!

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

July 30th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Mjp121212's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The vaccine is based off of specific sequences in the genome of the virus. it is so similar to the regular type a flu h1n1 virus. I'm not afraid of the newness of the vax at all. I plan to get it for the simple fact that I will need to for my son. I would rather risk the new vax than be a health risk to him. He has an immune system deficiency and asthma so we are always vax'ed.

Thanks to Maitri for my wonderful siggy!
July 30th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Baby #6 EDD 5/25/14
I'm indecisive. Gotta get more info, form the doc and see what develops before October. Besides, my old opinions on vaccines have been in question lately. With a child who is Autistic, and all of the new info I've gotten, I'm still sorting it all out.
Karen (34), mom to five (soon six) beautiful children....DS (15), DD (7), DS (6), DS (2), DD (5mos) and expecting baby #6 late May 2014!!!*Please do not mention on FB*

Pregnancy stats for baby #6, due late May 2014:
BFP (approx) 8dpo
(approx) 10dpo= HCG-31
(approx) 12dpo= HCG-123
(doubling time of 22.73 hours!!! )
8wk u/s appt scheduled for Oct. 14th

Prgnancy stats from baby #5:
13dpo= HCG-120, P4-20.5
19dpo= HCG-1427, (P4 was not taken again)
Doubling time = 40.31hrs
27dpo= HCG-19,935
Doubling = 50.47hrs (from 19dpo to 27dpo)
First doc appt & u/s scheduled for Sept 10th

pregnancy stats from baby #4:
12dpo= HCG 112
15dpo= HCG 586
Doubling time= 30.16

July 30th, 2009, 02:43 PM
aprilmiracle's Avatar Single Mom to Birk
Oh gosh, I really am unsure about this one. It's scary, my main priority right now is my son, who I am a single mother to, so I don't want him to lose me. But I am not supportive of vaccines, and my son has not ever had one. I don't know, I guess I'll see when it's out.

July 30th, 2009, 08:32 PM
k8liz311's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No I don't think so. I've never gotten a flu vaccine. Not even when I was pregnant last time. But we'll see how I feel when the time comes..

July 31st, 2009, 03:50 AM
LIZZYI's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't like the idea of it being so new. That don't know what effects it will have on the baby in the future. I will talk to my OB about it when the time comes.

July 31st, 2009, 04:56 AM
mdredmon1's Avatar Veteran
I am not sure what I am going to do. I really need to think about it because I am a Kindergarten teacher. If all goes well w/ this pregnancy, then I am going on bedrest after 6 months so hopefully that will help by being away from the kiddos.

July 31st, 2009, 01:01 PM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am not sure. I normally get the flu vax but I am not thrilled with the idea of them testing this vax out on me.
August 1st, 2009, 04:28 AM
LisaBrown's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylene169 View Post
No and I work with the public. Something to also think about is that there will be 2 different flu vaccines this year - one for H1N1 and a regular flu vax. So really to fully "protect" yourself you'll need both. And I say "protect" because flu vaccines aren't always the right strains. Also H1N1 is changing so quickly the vaccine may not even work. Being cautious and clean is enough for me. Avoid anyone who seems sick and wash your hands like crazy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search