Baby Makes 3: LaurieBeth's Pregnancy Journal *Updated 8/25

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2009, 10:35 AM
lauriebeth's Avatar mommy to Riley Grace
Please feel free to post replies. Each time I update my journal, I will add to this original post.

July 30, 2009 Post 1:
It’s almost been a week since we found out I’m pregnant! As hard as it is to believe, I really think it’s sinking in just a tad (and it should be after 5 positive tests) – Lord willing, we’re going to have a baby.

When we first got married, David and I definitely didn’t think we’d be ready to start a family this early. Once I graduated from college and found a teaching job, I thought it would be five or six years before we started “trying.” Then it hit. In February, we both felt like we were ready to start a family. It was honestly a very easy decision. I would stop teaching third grade at the end of the school l year, start tutoring from home, and we’d get started on our TTC journey.

Being young and healthy, I thought we’d conceive right away. My family seems to be of the “he looks at her and bam! she’s pregnant!” persuasion. For whatever reason, it didn’t quite work that way for us. My cycles were unbelievably irregular and the stress of TTC seemed to aggravate my cycle even more than usual.

Then, in June, one of my best friends found out she was pregnant. They were married in December of 2008 and they weren’t trying or preventing. I tried desperately not to be jealous, but it was difficult. I tried my best to be excited, but all I could feel was disappointment that it was not David and I. (I’m so selfish, I know)

Then it happened: I started noticing weird “symptoms.” Not only that, my husband noticed them, as well. So, with great hopes, on Friday July 24th (still a week away from my visit from Aunt Flow) I bought and took a pregnancy test. To my great surprise and delight, there were two lines! I didn’t believe it at first, so I showed my mom (my husband didn’t want to get his hopes up). She saw the lines, too. I wasn’t crazy! I headed to church (my husband’s a youth pastor) to tell David the good news. There were others around, so he couldn’t really demonstrate his enthusiasm at the time, but later, when alone, he was literally jumping and shouting.

Ever since last Friday, I have felt every twinge, pull, and cramp wondering if there is something wrong. I’m really working on trusting God. I know he’s in control and gave us this pregnancy. His will is best. I’m doing much better these last two days. Reading Psalms is a huge blessing! It’s all about God’s goodness and how he’s worthy of our trust.

Please join us in praying for the little one God has blessed us with!

July 30, 2009 Post 2:
Okay, so today I went to Walmart and bought the book What to Expect When You're Expecting. I read something that really put my mind at ease! "Mild cramps... in the lower abdomen or on one or both sides of the abdomen... is probably caused by the stretching of ligaments that support the uterus." Another paragraph said, "Mild crampiness... is usually a sign that everything's going right, not that something's going wrong." I've been having some cramps for a few days (sort of like AF's coming), but without spotting or severity. Still, this being my first pregnancy and not knowing what to expect, I have been worried! I've googled things on the 'net -- not a good idea if you're a worrier! I'm just thankful to know that what I'm feeling is normal!

Now if I can only make it 'til my appointment on August 6th!

July 31, 2009 Post 3:
Today we got to share our wonderful news with a woman who is like my grandmother. She was my next-door neighbor from the time I was five months old until I was 20. Her husband died last year at 91, and she just broke her leg at 91 years old. When David and I went to visit her in the rehab center today, we were able to tell her about our baby. She was so excited she was in tears! She has five grandchildren (plus she counts my brother and me, so that makes seven) and there are no great grand babies yet. She said she's so excited that she'll get to meet our baby, "if it's the Lord's will."

Telling her made me so thankful that our baby will most likely have an opportunity to meet two great grandparents (this woman and my maternal grandmother). Unfortunately, the grandparent I was closest to just died in May. He would have been so excited to learn that I'm pregnant, and would have enjoyed watching us learn how to be parents. I wish I could share this special time with him.

August 3, 2009 Post 4:
I can't believe it's August. As of Saturday, I'm officially in my sixth week of pregnancy! I can't believe that. I'm five weeks and 2 days pregnant, I think. I have my first prenatal appointment on Thursday (at 5 weeks, 5 days). I was hoping something exciting would be happening, but come to find out it's nothing special -- pap smear, breast exam, medical history. I wanted an ultrasound or a heartbeat! I emailed the office and the woman who e-mailed me back said generally, the first u/s is at 20 weeks! I don't know if I can wait 16 weeks!

August 6, 2009 Post 5:
I had my first appointment this morning, and after getting over the fact that I had to have a pap-smear and breast exam, it was exciting! I didn't have an ultrasound today, but I did schedule one three weeks from today(though I have to reschedule because we're going to be out of town that day and I was mixed up on my dates... hopefully it will be earlier). During the "let's ask the patient as many questions as possible" part of the exam, the doctor found out that my LMP was 6/27 but since my cycles are usually pretty long she said I probably wasn't "as pregnant" as I would be if my cycles were 28 days.

When she got to the internal pelvic exam, though, she told me she was going to "feel my uterus" (from the inside), and then she said "well you are pretty pregnant!" She said it felt bigger than she thought it would. I have no idea what that means (my aunt says "twins").

So, all in all, I think it went well. The ARNP was great and made me feel really comfortable. I'm so glad I kept this appointment even though the first woman told me that the first ultrasound wouldn't be until 20 weeks. She apparently had no idea what she was talking about!

After my appointment, my friend Carrie (also expecting... she's about 12 weeks) and I went to an outlet mall in Kissimmee . I bought my first maternity clothes -- a cute shirt on sale and a khaki skirt. I figured I'd better buy them on sale, especially the skirt (I wear them pretty much all the time and there were only a couple in Motherhood).

We also went in O'shkosh, Carter's, and Hartstrings... I know it's too early to start purchasing too much, but it was so much fun to browse and know that very soon I'll have a reason to BUY!

August 17 , 2009 Post 6:
Well, due to being ridiculously tired all the time and being out of town, I haven't kept up with this like I intended. I don't think I have ever been so exhausted in my life! Part of it stems from not being able to sleep more than an hour or two without having to get up to use the bathroom! Even if I feel like I haven't had much to drink before bed, I get up constantly. When I get up, I feel so frustrated because I just know I'm going to be tired the next day. I'm working on changing my attitude, though: My new plan is to pray for my baby and this pregnancy each time I get up to use the restroom... I'll probably throw in a quick prayer for sleep to return quickly, too!

As far as new symptoms go, I have been feeling queasy more often, sleeping poorly, craving weird things, and having foods that I usually love make me gag. It's so interesting that something the size of a raspberry can make so many changes in my body.

August 25 , 2009 Post 7:
I went for my first ultrasound yesterday. Thankfully, my husband was able to go with me to this appointment. After getting started, we were able to see the baby right away. It's little heart was beating at a fast 173 beats per minute, and he/she was measuring 8 weeks and one day, right on schedule.

Seeing the baby for the first time definitely made this seem more real, and it also put my worries at rest (at least a little ... I'm a worry wart). David and I were so excited afterwards that he wanted to stop by Babies-R-Us just to look around. It was very cute.

October 22, 2009 Post 8:
Yesterday was my 16 week appointment. Thankfully, I didn't have to wait nearly as long as I did at my 12 week appointment. When I stepped on the dreaded scale, I was actually down a pound! That means this bump that I have is baby after all!

The ARNP that I saw yesterday wasn't my favorite, but she said all is going "according to plan." My uterus is growing nicely and the baby's heartbeat is steady and strong. David hadn't been able to hear the heartbeat before so he was super excited.

Last time, the heartbeat was very quiet. It worried me a little bit, but the ARNP (one that I really, really like) said it sounded great for as far along as I was. She also had to search for the baby and put the probe really low. Today, as soon as she put it on my stomach we immediately heard a fast, loud heartbeat. Also, I can't believe how much higher she found it today than just four weeks ago.

Thankfully, we were able to schedule our gender ultrasound for November 16th. We were hoping that we'd be able to do it around 18 weeks, but the office where I go wants you to be 20 weeks so they can check the heart, brain, and kidneys. I understand, but I was certainly hoping to start shopping sooner than that . I'm so ready to start calling this baby by name!

Thank you Meganpixel for my adorable siggy!

For crocheted hats and hair accessories visit *Daisy Cottage Designs* on Etsy!

Last edited by lauriebeth; October 22nd, 2009 at 09:15 AM. Reason: update
August 10th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! I know you're super excited. Glad your appt went well
October 22nd, 2009, 09:15 AM
lauriebeth's Avatar mommy to Riley Grace
updated

Thank you Meganpixel for my adorable siggy!

For crocheted hats and hair accessories visit *Daisy Cottage Designs* on Etsy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search