Questions about Dr. Updated: *Got an Answer*

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2009, 02:36 PM
lauriebeth's Avatar mommy to Riley Grace
I have an appointment scheduled for Thursday (8:45... I'm SO excited). When I asked this office when I would have my first u/s, the answer was 20 weeks. So here's my first question: is that normal? I thought many doctors like to do an early u/s. Perhaps it's because it's my first baby, but I would love to see my LO and make certain everything's okay.

So here's my second question, should I try to find another doctor? I've called other doctors and because I called so much later, I can't get in there for a few weeks. I really, really want to get in to see someone sooner than that (because I'm a worry wart!!). Should I keep this appointment and ask if they'll do an u/s sooner for my peace of mind? Should I keep this appointment and in the mean time try to find a doctor who will do an early u/s?

Argh... am I just being crazy??

Also, what questions are you going to ask at your first visit?

I want to ask about...
  • exercise, sex, and nutrition habits
  • prenatals
  • if they'll do an earlier u/s
  • being pregnant with atrial fibrillation (not a fun condition when you're not pregnant!)

I've had many more questions, but they keep slipping my mind.

UPDATE: When I checked my e-mail this morning, I had a response from the nurse I'd e-mailed yesterday asking why the first ultrasound won't be done until 20 weeks. Apparently the lady who I corresponded with initially didn't know what she was talking about. The nurse said generally, the doctor will schedule an u/s a week or two after the first appointment. She said it's not always considered "medically necessary" by an insurance company, so I might have to pay for it out of my own pocket. I don't mind doing that; peace of mind is valuable! I feel much better now. Hopefully, while I'm there tomorrow, I'll be able to make an appointment for my first u/s. I know seeing the baby or at least hearing a heartbeat will make me feel much better. I think then I'll be able to enjoy being pregnant rather than being worried about little things.

Thank you Meganpixel for my adorable siggy!

For crocheted hats and hair accessories visit *Daisy Cottage Designs* on Etsy!

Last edited by lauriebeth; August 5th, 2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: typo
August 4th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Baby #6 EDD 5/25/14
I've heard several people, in different places, say they don't get an u/s till 20weeks, unless there is a history of complications. I'm sorry you happened to pick one of those docs. But, I think you should continue to make a list of your questions and concerns, so you don't forget. And i think you should keep researching docs, but keep your appt. with this office. When you go to your appt on thursday, ask them if they can give you an u/s. If they say no, then call the other doc you picked and set something up. Remember that a lot of docs that do u/s early, don't do them till 8 wks. So you will have to wait, but not as long as 20 weeks. Before you drop this doc on thursday, decided if it's worth it. You may go in and feel really good about the doc and his/her staff. That is priceless!!! Though waiting till 20weeks is very long, having a great doc, you're comfortable with, during one of the most intimate fragile moments of your life, is more important.

Weigh your options, and make a decision from there. But I say you should definitely start out with keeping your appt. and take things from there. GL! KUP on how things go!
Karen (34), mom to five (soon six) beautiful children....DS (15), DD (7), DS (6), DS (2), DD (5mos) and expecting baby #6 late May 2014!!!*Please do not mention on FB*

Pregnancy stats for baby #6, due late May 2014:
BFP (approx) 8dpo
(approx) 10dpo= HCG-31
(approx) 12dpo= HCG-123
(doubling time of 22.73 hours!!! )
8wk u/s appt scheduled for Oct. 14th

Prgnancy stats from baby #5:
13dpo= HCG-120, P4-20.5
19dpo= HCG-1427, (P4 was not taken again)
Doubling time = 40.31hrs
27dpo= HCG-19,935
Doubling = 50.47hrs (from 19dpo to 27dpo)
First doc appt & u/s scheduled for Sept 10th

pregnancy stats from baby #4:
12dpo= HCG 112
15dpo= HCG 586
Doubling time= 30.16

August 4th, 2009, 03:08 PM
onelove1109's Avatar Super Mommy
Hmm you are not being crazy!..20 weeks does sounds a little long?? I thought most dr do them at 12 weeks?? I have one done first @ 6 weeks then every 2 weeks only because I am high risk. If you are comfortable waiting 20 weeks I would say you should be fine...but that will be a LONG 20 weeks lol. If I were you I would just ask if maybe they could do one a little earlier.

Thanks so much Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy!

August 4th, 2009, 04:49 PM
mdredmon1's Avatar Veteran
I do think 20 weeks is a little late but that is b/c I have had a stillbirth and I think doctors should treat all pregnancies aggressively.
Having dealt with a loss, here are some questions that everyone should ask especially when they have their first u/s.
~~Where is the umbilical cord attached on the placenta?
~~How is the blood flow in the umbilical cord?
~~Where is the placenta attached on the uterus?

Hope this helps!

August 4th, 2009, 05:35 PM
frankie's Avatar Proud Mommy
WOW 20 weeks sounds so long.... Keep the apt but call and ask if they can give you a u/s sooner.. If not keep the apt and make another with someone else... either way you will get in with someone else before 20 weeks!

Your not on prenatal? Are you a multi vitamin? You should really be taking prenatal but if not make sure you take extra folic acid..
LOTS OF LUCK!!! hope this dr gives you the u/s when you go this Thur

trying for~~~Commitment leads to action. Action brings your dream closer~~~~ Marcia Wieder
August 4th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the advice girls. My plan is to keep my appointment, talk things over with the ARNP (I won't see doctor this early, I guess), and make my decision from there. I just visited the website, and found a tab for "ask a nurse." I submitted a question asking if they will do an u/s earlier than 20 weeks if the patient requests it. Hopefully I'll have an answer from her before Thur.

August 5th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Frankie, I am on a prenatal, but it's not prescribed by this doctor. I just want to make sure she's happy with the one I'm currently taking I've read that it should be high in calcium and the one I'm on doesn't seem to be.

August 5th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Baby #6 EDD 5/25/14
Good for you!!! I'm glad you spoke up!
Karen (34), mom to five (soon six) beautiful children....DS (15), DD (7), DS (6), DS (2), DD (5mos) and expecting baby #6 late May 2014!!!*Please do not mention on FB*

Pregnancy stats for baby #6, due late May 2014:
BFP (approx) 8dpo
(approx) 10dpo= HCG-31
(approx) 12dpo= HCG-123
(doubling time of 22.73 hours!!! )
8wk u/s appt scheduled for Oct. 14th

Prgnancy stats from baby #5:
13dpo= HCG-120, P4-20.5
19dpo= HCG-1427, (P4 was not taken again)
Doubling time = 40.31hrs
27dpo= HCG-19,935
Doubling = 50.47hrs (from 19dpo to 27dpo)
First doc appt & u/s scheduled for Sept 10th

pregnancy stats from baby #4:
12dpo= HCG 112
15dpo= HCG 586
Doubling time= 30.16

August 6th, 2009, 07:50 AM
lovebeforefirstsight2
How did your appointment go?!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search