Your feelings/mood/emotions - Does it affect the baby?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Heaven's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I've always wondered if feeling sad/upset or crying would affect the baby in any way. I know it stresses the body and could potentially stress the baby, but does it have a direct effect on the baby's mood or personality?

When I used to PMS, I had to have atleast one crying fit a month before my period comes...and it's mostly just to relieve myself from the crazy hormones. Since being pregnant, I haven't had the need for that and I've been in a good mood for the most part but I did crack down a few times over silly things (and I had one panic attack) and I kept help but question how that affects the baby.

Thoughts?
September 8th, 2009, 12:31 PM
J*cubed*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to J*cubed* Send a message via Yahoo to J*cubed*
Good question...

September 8th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Nicole1110's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure, but I can't imagine how the baby would know what our moods were like being inside there. Unless our mood caused some kind of internal changes, how would they know? Interesting question though. I'm always in a good mood, aside from when I am at work. Hopefully he doesn't know what thoughts go through my head when I'm at the office

Major
September 8th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Heaven's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's just that my mom keeps telling me not to stress or cry because it will hurt the baby...but she can't really explain how or why so that's why I'm asking
September 8th, 2009, 01:01 PM
J*cubed*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to J*cubed* Send a message via Yahoo to J*cubed*
I imagine too much stress would have some sort of an effect as it raises your blood pressure. I'm not certain on this though, thats why it would be interesting to hear the answer from someone who knows for sure.

September 8th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Prettymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom and husband always tell me to not stress too much or get really upset...which is hard b/c i have anxiety! B/c it raises your blood pressure, can make u shakey, etc...good question though! I don't think it hurts the baby, but i'm sure it can affect it if it's happening constantly...i.e. preterm labor.

September 8th, 2009, 02:07 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know specifically...but I know that, a couple of weeks ago, when I found out something very upsetting, I was crying hysterically for a long time, and that night (even after I calmed down) I felt the baby move more than I ever have before or since...and they were STRONG kicks. It's like she was upset/agitated. I don't think that it has any long-term effects, though. Chronic severe stress during pregnancy has been linked to pre-mature labor and low birth weight...but not every pregnant woman who experiences stress or even severe stress, will have difficulties. There may also be some association with severe chronic stress and ADHD, but again, it is not necessarily going to happen.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

September 8th, 2009, 02:15 PM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
this is a hard subject to find concrete research on. There are some studies that say depression in the mother can effect the sleep patterns and also may cause slight developmental delays. but no one has really backed it up with hard data.
It goes to reason that if you are not sleeping or have irregular sleep patterns that so does your baby.
The most that I could find was the safety of certain anti-depression meds during pregnancy, which in most cases the slight risks the meds may produce are far outweighed by the benefit to mom and baby to be in a better emotional state.

There was an article out at one point about stress causing asthma in infants but I have not been able to find it again. It was released I think in England.

September 8th, 2009, 02:42 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh--I forgot to say also that when I was so upset, I did have a couple of contractions--nothing too bad, and it was only a couple, but they were still there. I had not had any before, or any since.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

September 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not that I've noticed.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
September 8th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it would have to do with how upset. Ive had a crying episode were Im hysterical. The way I was breathing (quick breaths) might effect oxygen. My blood pressure was probably up (always goes up some when Im nervous but never taken when upset). I felt kinda ache while and after my crying fit so I can see were contractions can come into that.

I dunno I think a little crying here and there isnt going to effect the baby. But multiple hysterical crying fits could have an effect on your body there for having an effect on baby.

Just my thoughts on it...

September 8th, 2009, 05:23 PM
twoboys's Avatar photography co-host!!
hmm, good question considering I have been riding an emotional rollercoaster!
September 8th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I strongly believe that it does. The reason I say this is because with my daughter I was having a great pregnancy with no issues until things went to hell with my ex.

He got caught cheating on me and refused to let me in the house with the baby stuff. I started panicking because i didnt have anything and I was 38 weeks pregnant. i panicked so bad i had to be hospitalized and from that day my blood pressure started going up and i started developing pre-eclampsia.

September 8th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Kansascity kitty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
From what I have been told severe stress will have an impact on your pregnancy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search