Cute ideas for announcing gender???

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2009, 06:11 PM
jmichelle77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jmichelle77
I wanna do something cute and fun when we find out the gender to announce it to everyone but I am having a hard time thinking of anything other than what the Dugger's did on the Today show and I don't wanna be a copy cat!

So, do y'all have any cute ideas?

September 8th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am not sure what they (duggars) did, but my friend emailed a picture of an almond joy and a mars bar and then an x next to the almond joy when she was pregnant with her son (almond joy has nuts, mounds don't).
September 8th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
OMG hj-m22 that is funny but somehow i don't think my fam would appreciate that type of humor lol.

what did the duggars do??

i didn't do anything special, just texted/myspace msg'd after my u/s.
September 8th, 2009, 07:20 PM
LovingMyBoys's Avatar Mom of 3 boys
I would love a great idea for this too, however I don't know how long I could hold it in without telling everyone.

September 8th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Alicia W.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
well last time the timing was just right that we told everyone by letting off a blue firework on the 4th.... I dunno what we will do this time.

The duggars had a cake made and the filling was either pink or blue for the sex of the baby and then they found out when they cut into it since they didn't know until they were on tv.

September 8th, 2009, 09:57 PM
JMAC
someone else posted about doing a cake like that on this message board quite sometime ago and I loved the idea. we're thinking of having a dinner at our house the day after our US so our families can be here and maybe just having the US tech write it down and keep it in an envelope so we can all open it together. not sure though. it would be hard to even wait one day haha. 1 month to go and we'll have our US, yay!
September 9th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Anxious New Mommy
I didn't know the Duggars did that...cute idea...I used to be a pastry chef so that would be perfect for us. My family always calls on me to make the cakes...

September 9th, 2009, 06:48 AM
happymom2Logan's Avatar Soon to be Mommy of 2
What about taking a picture of an outfit for a boy or a girl and send it out.

Logan Xavier was born 02/27/10
Weighing 6lbs 9 1/2 oz

September 9th, 2009, 07:33 AM
FirstTimerInChicago's Avatar Member
Well it's not a very original idea but what we're planning to do is, since all the grandparents-to-be live in different states, we going to send blue or pink flowers with an announcement card. The distances kind of limit our choices a bit.

I almost forgot to mention, we also looked at sending custom M&Ms - you can get them imprinted with the message & choose the colors. Only problem was one grandparent is on a gluten free diet so we decided to go with flowers b/c they're something everyone can enjoy

Last edited by FirstTimerInChicago; September 9th, 2009 at 07:37 AM. Reason: forgot 2 mention our other idea...
September 9th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Last time we just emailed or texted everyone. We have family/friends all over. So will probably just do the same.

I LOVED the candy bar email, but yeah I don't think some of my family would get that humor either.
September 9th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have some friends who had the u/s tech write down the gender on a piece of paper and sealed it in an envelope. Then they immediately took the envelope to a clothing store and picked out a boy & girl outfit. They took the outfits and envelope to a cashier and gave her some cash & instructions, then walked off. The cashier rang up the outfit that matched the gender, put the change and receipt in the box with the outfit, and wrapped it all up. Then that evening they met their family and friends at a restaurant and had a "revealing party". They opened up the box and everyone got to see their raw reaction to finding out if it was a girl or a boy.

I thought that was a really cute idea!
September 9th, 2009, 09:15 AM
~*Mandy*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aww that clothing idea is a really cute idea but I could never walk away from the cashier LOL I would be too anxiious to see which one it was.

*Thank you *Sharon* for my amazing siggy!*

September 9th, 2009, 09:22 AM
jmichelle77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jmichelle77
Sorry girls! I shoulda said what the Dugger's did! Woops!

I saw an idea on another site about inviting everyone to a bbq and on the invite say something like "will it be hamburgers or hot dogs?" and then serve whatever it is. LOL! I thought that was pretty cute.

September 9th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Alicia W.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have heard people announcing it in custom made fortune cookies too and thought that was pretty neat.

oh and I am SO not the type of person who could wait to find out until everyone else did too! I want to know BEFORE they do rofl.

September 9th, 2009, 01:23 PM
szczepanski's Avatar nakmaster
Would you be telling them the name you have picked out when you tell them the gender?

What about custom M&M's in girly or boyish colors with the names printed on them?

September 9th, 2009, 02:43 PM
babyjen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We were actually going to be copy cats and do the Dugger thing (w/ DH and I not knowing till we cut the cake) but DH said there's no way he could hold out not knowing and the more I thought about it I knew I couldn't either

We might still have a little party and do the cake thing for the guests but I stopped thinking about it after that. Plus most of my family started whining about not knowing the second I have the u/s. So no interesting/unique ideas from me.

September 9th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I enjoy the hotdog and hamburger idea LOL!

September 9th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Veteran
Another candy bar idea is to get either Baby Ruths or O Henrys (or Mr Goodbar if you cannot find O Henrys) and give them out based on the gender. Maybe with appropriately colored ribbon for the slow-on-the-uptake people.

OT: I heard a fun and cheap gift for someone who just announced a pregnancy-get a jar of Prego (haha) pasta sauce with spaghetti, tie a ribbon around, and say "for the nights you are too sick to cook" or something along those lines. I thought that was pretty cool.
September 9th, 2009, 10:55 PM
LovingMyBoys's Avatar Mom of 3 boys
We will be having the big scan on a Tuesday, so there is no way I could hold out until the weekend to tell everyone I don't think. I love the ideas so far though, wish I had enough self control to do them!

September 9th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Proud Momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM123 View Post
I have some friends who had the u/s tech write down the gender on a piece of paper and sealed it in an envelope. Then they immediately took the envelope to a clothing store and picked out a boy & girl outfit. They took the outfits and envelope to a cashier and gave her some cash & instructions, then walked off. The cashier rang up the outfit that matched the gender, put the change and receipt in the box with the outfit, and wrapped it all up. Then that evening they met their family and friends at a restaurant and had a "revealing party". They opened up the box and everyone got to see their raw reaction to finding out if it was a girl or a boy.

I thought that was a really cute idea!
OMG I love that idea!!! That is so awesome

I'd love to do something fun but I'd be too excited and would just phone up my family and blurt it out. Maybe I'll have a little fun and make them have to guess!!! oooooooh lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search