How soon is everyone's first appointment??

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Regular
I feeling a little annoyed. I know I am only 4 weeks but I called the doctor today to make an appt. The last time I got pregnant 1 year ago I went right at 5 weeks they sent me for bloodwork gave me the usual paperwork and prescription for prenatals. I went again at 11 weeks and then later on I misscarried with a blighted ovum. My concern here is they told me they are now only starting to book appointments for patients once they are 8 weeks is this normal? My family doctor has changed but the nurse has remained the same. I was hoping for an early ultrasound to put my mind at ease a bit but now I have to wait till November 3 to even get blood work done. Doesn't this sound a little strange?

Make a pregnancy ticker
October 5th, 2009, 05:52 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
I don't really think that is strange, but I would call and tell her that you had a m/c last pregnancy and you would really like to be seen earlier. Maybe you can ask if you can get an u/s done at your first appt and have your beta levels checked. You don't have to see a doctor to get that done and if you ask for betas then you could probably be seen with a nurse visit.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
October 5th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Charizomai's Avatar Mommy to Three!
Well I have a different doc now that I did with my first two kids, with them, I went right in. In fact, I went in with my daughter the day after I got the positive test. (I was 3 1/2 weeks then)....LOL..

But with this one, they will not even book you for an appt until you are between 8-10 weeks pregnant. So my first appt is at the end of this month.I'm 5 weeks now and It seems like it is taking forever, but I get an ultrasound on that day so thats good!
Its normal.I think they do this because so many women find out so early (before their periods) and the chances for miscarry is less the further out they do it ..(I guess....)

I happily Breastfed Alba for 5 1/2 months!!!!

Below is my weightloss ticker. This is not for the pregnancy weight to come off as it has pretty much all came off. The rest of it is just what I've been wanting to loose for a while now to get back to my healthier weight!

October 5th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Regular
Ok so maybe it's not so abnormal to have an appointment that late. Good thing I am taking prenatals but what if someone had no clue and wasn't. One thing I have noticed since you are in the states you guys get ultrasounds earlier it seems. In Canada unless you have a specific reason our first ultrasounds are around 18 weeks. Ridiculous I think. I was told I could get an earlier once for peace of mind this time around.

Make a pregnancy ticker
October 5th, 2009, 06:39 PM
nuclearwife82's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to nuclearwife82
my old office saw me at 6 weeks with ds but the midwives that I am seeing now won't see you until 8 to 10 weeks.

My friend is 17 weeks and is JUST NOW getting her first appointment because of insurance issues.

October 5th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Veteran
My doctors office make you wait 8-10 weeks also. My first appointment is on November 4th and I'll be 8w 3d. I miscarried my last also. I think the reason why they do it is just for that reason, my doctor said 35% of pregnancies end in miscarriage. Very scary. He also said that in miscarriages that early there is nothing they can do, even if our numbers were low they can't save the baby. I guess they just don't want their appointments filling up? My office did say to call if I had any problems and they would get me in. It's a bummer but at least at 8 weeks most doctors do an ultrasound and we get to hear the heartbeat. It sucks waiting though...

October 5th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I haven't even scheduled one yet... I called when I found out I was pregnant because I figured they'd want me to go get blood work done to check my levels and they did.. so I went on Wednesday and now they want me to go again this Wednesday. Hopefully I'll hear on Wednesday and then my doctor will be able to schedule me an appointment soon.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search