Is this normal?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2009, 09:52 PM
mommyakawifey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This isn't my first pregnancy so I feel like I should know whats normal for me but I am so sick that I am not keeping anything down. I cried when I was at the grocery last night because I literally throw up everything...even water and crackers. I have to stay near a restroom or trash can constantly and that is very limiting. I don't know how much longer I can work like this either. I am beginning to feel pretty discouraged that I cant provide any nutrients for my baby. It wasn't this bad with my son. Please any advice would be appreciated.

Missing my brother everyday- 1985-2011~I love and miss you so much
Essure permanent birth control procedure done 5/24. My family is now complete<3
October 5th, 2009, 10:06 PM
robineliza's Avatar In love with my June Bug!
I wish I had a better answer for you but that doesn't seem normal to me I would call your doctor right away! Maybe they can perscribe something to help you keep it down. Good luck and kup!

On another note - I'm from northern cali too!
October 5th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Veteran
Hey Arielle, I think this is normal for alot of women however I don't think you should have to suffer like that. I know if possible I don't plan to. My doctor says that the baby will be fine even if you are that sick as long as you're not dehydrated that being said though my ob is a firm believer that it's not necessary to feel that awful. I know alot of women prefer to not take any meds but you're a mom and have to work and want to be able to not puke constantly. I would most definately ask for Zofran or Phenergan or something to make you feel better. Have you tried the Unisom/B6 combo until you can get something else? Try taking a 50mg B-6 and a up to a whole 25mg Unisom starting tonight if you can. My understanding is that the earlier you take this the better to get ahead of your sickness. You can also take additional 50 mg B6 a few more times throughout the day. Please call your doc and get his/her opinion. I really don't think you should have to feel this terrible unless you're fully against taking any meds at all. I hope you feel better soon, I feel really bad for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

October 5th, 2009, 10:32 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi,

I had illness like that through several months of my first pregnancy. Going into the grocery store was torture - I could smell the meat from the deli, the veggies and fruit all smelled overripe and almost mouldy, even the dairy case smelled dreadful.

I threw up constantly - didn't matter what time of day or night. At least four times a day. Not to gross anybody out but my vomiting was so strong and sudden that there were times I'd dash to the bathroom and not make it Thank goodness for a very loving DH with very little gag reflex

I did have to take some days off here and hter, but mostly I just kept going ... but, it was my first, so I didn't have another toddler or child to deal with. That would make it much harder.

As for nutrients, there were days that all I could or would eat was peaches ... another day it might be french fries... another day crackers and chicken soup. DS is very healthy, was born 8 pounds 12 ounces, and has barely been sick a day in his life - and he's been at the 100th percentile for height and 75th for weight since the day he was born.

Hopefully it won't last long for you. I kept telling my doctor "no, I'll wait one more week" because I was scared of taking medication. In retrospect, if I'd known it was going to last that long, I might have chosen differently. There are certainly options out there that may help.

In the meantime, talk to your doctor for sure. And try some of the remedies - the travel sickness wrist pressure things; ginger (even smelling it can help some people); water with a bit of lemon; saltine crackers; etc.

The upshot is that heavy morning sickness can indicate a strong surge of growth hormone, which means the little one is growing. I know it's small consolation when you feel that sick, but it may help a little.

I cried many times the first time around about how sick I was ... it will eventually pass, and don't be afraid to consider medicine if you need it.

October 5th, 2009, 10:35 PM
mommyakawifey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by robineliza View Post
I wish I had a better answer for you but that doesn't seem normal to me I would call your doctor right away! Maybe they can perscribe something to help you keep it down. Good luck and kup!

On another note - I'm from northern cali too!

I think I will call him. That's too cool, where are you from? I'm in San Ramon. Do you know where that is?

Wow you ladies are amazing. It feels so good to talk to other women who have gone through this. I must have thrown up today at least 25 times. Seriously. I am going to call my doctor. Thank you for your support and advice. I felt like I was weak for calling my doctor but I realize now this might be able to be helped a bit. I'll let you know what they say.

Missing my brother everyday- 1985-2011~I love and miss you so much
Essure permanent birth control procedure done 5/24. My family is now complete<3
October 6th, 2009, 04:27 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
I was going to suggest calling your doctors as well.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search