Ugh my brother has the flu--Update w/mini vent :)

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2009, 02:50 PM
onelove1109's Avatar Super Mommy
And is too freaking stubborn to go to the dr! Soo i dont know if it is swine flu or regular flu. But he is definitely having all the symptoms of flu. If he is not feeling any better tomorrow I am making him go to the dr. We spent all day in the car together yesterday driving to ky...so whatever he has..I am prob definetly going to get it boooo I was really hoping to skip out on getting sick!!

So if it is swine...how bad exactly is it for us??? I havent researched it at all...I was just so sure I wasnt going to get it because I usually never get sick (who knows maybe I wont get it,not likely now though).

Mini Vent...

Ugh I am just so frustrated! Why can't he just go to the freaking doctor?! It really pisses me off that he is putting me at risk and has no problem with it...so I just freaked out on him. Pretty bad. Guess it was a combination of hormones and just plain being pissed off that he really just doesn't give a s***. I dont understand why he cant just go to the dr...get tested..if he has it get the tamiflu then i can get some and just be over it?! He has good insurance!!!! He is just so lazy and ignorant! Thinks doctors are all pointless(I used to be think this way as well..but since I got pregnant I have been much more paranoid about anything that could affect me or baby). So now Im sitting upstairs like a little kid crying into my pillow. Great..I came all the way to Kentucky for this. sorry for the mini vent

Thanks so much Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy!

Last edited by onelove1109; November 24th, 2009 at 03:53 PM.
November 24th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
From what I've read and understand it's not as bad if you get it before your third trimester. It's also not bad if you get started on Tamiflu within 48 hours of symptom onset.

At least that's what the CDC says. They claim that the pregnant women who are dying from H1N1 have waited longer than 48 hours to start treatment.

November 24th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That and the biggest risk is once the baby is pressing on your lungs making it hard to breathe. So you should be fine, just call your doctor and get the Tamiflu.

Make him pay for it! I have good insurance and it still cost me a $40 copay.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

November 24th, 2009, 05:10 PM
homeschooling mom of 2
Hopefully you won't come down with any symptoms... if you do then do as the ladies here said and call for the script (since its almost Thanksgiving you might want to call tomorrow and request it just in case you get sick on Thanksgiving). From what I understand (though I might be wrong) they aren't even testing people anymore to see if they have h1n1 (not sure on pregnant women) they are just treating it.
November 24th, 2009, 05:38 PM
babymine's Avatar Veteran
call your doc...i have heard them putting some preggo mommies on Tamiflu if someone in their families has flu....not even themselves.

Dont feel bad about the freakout. im sure we'd all do the same in your place.
November 24th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Hmm good idea Candi. I think first thing tomorrow I will call my dr and hopefully she will write me a script without having to see me (since im all the way in KY )

How safe is Tamiflu for us preggos??

November 24th, 2009, 06:43 PM
~Claudia~'s Avatar mommy to Nico & Seba
I don't have any advise, but I hope you don't get sick!!!

I think Tamiflu is fairly safe for pregnant woman as my doctor prescribed it to me when I was traveling to take it with me as a precaution in case I did get sick.
November 24th, 2009, 07:29 PM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My daughter had h1n1. My doctor called in the script for me because he was worried I would get sick over the weekend. I ended up not getting sick though so I didn't have to use it.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

November 24th, 2009, 08:01 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You know, many docs aren't even doing the actual testing anymore- just diagnosing based on symptoms. So, its possilbe that even if he did go to the doctor, you may not know for sure regular seasonal flu or swine flu. Maybe your OB will call you in the Tamiflu based on the possible/suspected contamination.
Also, my son had suspected swine flu (again, doctor said thats what he thought it was but did not do confirmatory testing) Neither I, nor anyone else got sick despite the fact that I was taking care of him, letting him sleep with me at night. Good luck hun. Hope you don't catch whatever it is he has!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
November 24th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks ladies! I know I am probably being overly paranoid (and extra crazy hormonal...I never yell at my brother or get upset like that!lol I am usually such a chill person) I just worry about my little guy and Im sure you all understand.

November 24th, 2009, 09:35 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Most Dr's aren't testing right now because regular flu season isn't in full swing yet, so most flu cases that are showing up are swine flu.

Please do some research on Tamiflu, it can be pretty nasty stuff. You are almost better off resting and getting lots of fluids and taking care of yourself rather than taking the Tamiflu. This is just my own opinion, so take it for what you will. But do some research. It's not something you want to take if you don't have the flu, IMO.
November 25th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
haha although you spazzed on him, I'm pretty sure u did better than I would have. I wouldve just been like "If you get me sick and if something happens to this baby, I'm whooping your @#$!!!". A lil fiesty arent I lol.

But I hope that the doc can send a prescription of tamiflu to the nearest pharmacy near you. And drink plenty of warm liquids.
November 25th, 2009, 06:10 AM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
of course we all understand your concern for your little guy!
As for the Tamiflu, all of my kids have taken it and all but one had absolutely no problems. The one who did have a problem got really wierd hallucinations! It was the craziest (and scariest thing). He was totally flipping out and didn't recognize us. He kept trying to find DH and I, and when we tried to soothe him and say "We're right here" he apparently didn't think it was us so he kept trying to pull away from us saying "I want my Mom and Dad." So wierd. Come to find out, that particular reaction (hallucinations) has happened before and isn't all that rare with Tamiflu (or so I've heard, I've never done the actual research for myself). Like I said, the other kids had no problems whatsoever...just thought I'd let you know espicially after Mylene said she'd heard some things about it....

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
November 25th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My OB and pediatrician say that Tamiflu is perfectly safe. I know my ds took it once with no problems.

November 25th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took the Tamiflu with no problem.

My area has had so many confirmed cases (and 6 deaths in my town) that they're no longer testing.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search