is it a big deal to 'not' have a nursery?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2009, 08:14 PM
emmabear's Avatar Super Mommy
Everything I've read says that it's really important as part of the 'nesting' process to set up the nursery, choose bedding, etc...
but the thing is, we live in a 3 bedroom house and each kid has a room. They're only with us part-time but they really love their rooms and I wouldn't feel right kicking one of them out. I would LOVE to choose bedding and decorate and all of that, and DF asked if we should just move (we rent our house) but I don't know.

What do you guys think? How important is it?

Emily

www.themodernmommy.com
November 24th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Shelli1981's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Shelli1981
I rent as well I have 3 boys and at the Moment they all share a rm, My In laws are in the other rm until DH's SF gets on Disability and they Move back to Florida, So The baby will be in a bassinet for the first 3 months with dh and myself, then she'll get put in a crib also still in our room until she's a year old and Hopefully we'll be moved out by then

November 24th, 2009, 08:19 PM
onelove1109's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't get to "nest" either since I am staying with my mom...DH and I wont be in our new apartment till at least middle of May after he gets back. I have bought all the bedding/room decor but won't be able to set it up for a bit But I am planning on having him in a bassinet next to the bed for first 3 months anyways. Soo I don't think it is too big of a deal. Just builds the excitement & something to keep you busy imo

Were you planning on co-sleeping or??

Thanks so much Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy!

November 24th, 2009, 08:46 PM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With kinley---we were only going to be in San Diego for a month after she was born, then we were moving back to tx....so I kept the crib and changing table in the box til we moved back..so I never got to set up a nursery...even when we moved back our house was weird shaped and her "room" wasn't a real room..hard to explain but it just wasnt the same

With this baby..it will be sharing Kinley's room.which is painted pink at the moment. If it is a girl-it will stay pink and she will have her crib in one corner since the rest is filled with toys...if its a boy-we'll pain the room a neutral khaki color (i will def miss the pink! ) and once again it will have the crib in the corner with boy bedding...but I won't be going all out and decorating a nursery once again because they will be sharing the room...and Kinley knows it is HER room right now

November 24th, 2009, 09:15 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
We were in an apartment when Kaija was born and we didn't really decorate it up either. We did some cute things - put her name on the wall and some shelves, set up her crib. We didn't get her bedding until the day we brought her home. DH's co-workers got it for us as a gift. I had gotten some random sheets for her crib so that I knew she'd have some!

I wouldn't say it's "important" but it is nice to have a baby-only space.
November 24th, 2009, 09:15 PM
KasieH's Avatar Super Mommy
I am not going to set up a nursery either. We have three bedrooms and we already have a DD and DS, so this one will stay in our room until he is sleeping through the night so he will not wake up our DS.

I never set up a nursery with any of the kids. I never felt like I missed anything.

November 24th, 2009, 09:28 PM
lilflower
I'm not setting up a nursery. Nesting is about the getting ready...which is easily done without a nursery. Washing the baby clothes, baby proofing, setting up a crib/bassinet, etc. Even deep cleaning is considered nesting
November 24th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Kodithegirl's Avatar Super Mommy
I was just going to say what lilflower did...nesting is not just doing a nursery. Yes, doing a nursery is certainly considered nesting, but it's not the only thing that is. I think the most important thing is just creating a loving place for baby to come home to, and it sure sounds like you're doing that!!

We just re-worked everything! Completely new fabric options, Slings, 6 new bedding options, Custom vinyl wall decals, and much much more!! $5 off for any justmommies.com forum members!!

November 25th, 2009, 02:14 AM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
i dont think its important at all, to be honest i havent heard such rubbish in my life why would it be important to set up a nursery?! the baby will be in our room for the first 8 months then willl go into the back room, but it will be either painted pink or blue when the time comes, nothing fancy

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (31)
together for 10.5 years married for 4.5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

November 25th, 2009, 04:00 AM
homeschooling mom of 2
I don't think by any means you NEED to set up a whole fancy nursery and would say it depends on what you want and are able to do, you mentioned the other kids have their own rooms which they love etc, but you didn't mention your long term plans.... where will this baby sleep & keep all their stuff eventually? Will they share a room with one of the other children or do you expect to move etc? If they would eventually share a room then I'd ask whichever child how they feel about setting up a small baby space even if its just a little shelf or something just to help get them ready for teh eventual change.
November 25th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Lily. Nesting is about getting ready for the baby. Some moms have the opportunity to decorate a nursery for their unborn child and some dont. If BD and I still live in this house when the baby is born, she'll be sharing a room with Miki (BD 2 yr DD who stays with us occassionally). If I get this job, I'll be staying with my mom and Kalani will be right in the room with me. The room is big enough for me to set up a section for her, but thats the extent of it.

Maybe you can have him share a room with BF's DD for a while since most of the time she wont be there anyway.
November 25th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With Lily we were moving shortly after her due date so while we bought everything for her nursery, we didn't have it set up until she was 6 weeks old. Then she didn;t actually sleep in there until she was 3 months.

With this baby we will be setting up the nursery ahead of time, but we just resigned our lease until next December so I know we aren't going anywhere soon. Having the perfect nursery seems so important when you are pregnant, but honestly the baby is all that matters after he/she is born
November 25th, 2009, 07:28 AM
CuteName's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It feels weird for me this time too not having a room for the baby. We have 3 rooms for the kids and 4 kids. So there's really no room to stick a baby in. I'd hate to put the baby in a room with the kids and keep them awake. Sooooo baby will get a corner of our very large master bedroom.

I do plan to decorate the "baby corner" and I think that even just putting sheets on a crib or in a bassinet is nesting. I'm going to ask if hubbie will let me paint just a corner of the room for baby because it can always be painted over later.

I think a nursery can be considered anything and doesn't have to be an entire room. Think about how small the baby is, does he/she really need an entire room at such a young age? Any small area where you and baby can relax can be the baby zone.

I would even think that a rocking chair in the living room with a basket of baby stuff next to it could be a nice relaxing place.
November 25th, 2009, 07:38 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'm with everyone else. Nesting is about getting prepared for a baby and that doesn't always mean a nursery. We were lucky in that we have a 4 bedroom house and have plenty of space for a nursery. Our master bedroom is the smallest room in the house so we didn't have a choice to put a bassinett or crib in with us, so the baby needed her own space. Nesting for me was all about doing the nursery. I had no interest in cleaning or baby laundry so making that perfect space was all I could focus on. Actually, my mom came over and cleaned my house two weeks before Lily was born because she was worried that I would never do it! We had also accumulated the bedding and decor several years before getting pregnant so we didn't have to spend a lot of money on the nursery at one time. You'll figure out a way to make a special space for this baby even if it is a tiny corner of a shared room.
November 25th, 2009, 07:51 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
None of our kids have had nurseries as they've all slept with us for the first year or 2.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
November 25th, 2009, 07:57 AM
emmabear's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for the comments!! It helps, I was worried that not having one would worry me but the thing is, our house lease is up in July and we probably want to move at that point to be closer to the kids' mom so we can see them more often (she lives an hour away right now and it's too hard to get them during the week with school, etc)

Maybe he can sleep with us until July and then our new house can accomodate more of a baby space

Emily

www.themodernmommy.com
November 25th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Kodithegirl's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie81 View Post
Having the perfect nursery seems so important when you are pregnant, but honestly the baby is all that matters after he/she is born
Agreed!! I went crazy over my son's nursery...having all of his clothes neatly put away in the drawers and closets....toys he wouldn't play with for months disinfected and set up all ready...everything.

When he got here, I couldn't have cared less what his room looked like, honestly. He never slept with us or in our room at all, so I was glad the nursery was all set up, but there wasn't really a need for all the decor.

That being said, I'll probably do it all again...lol

We just re-worked everything! Completely new fabric options, Slings, 6 new bedding options, Custom vinyl wall decals, and much much more!! $5 off for any justmommies.com forum members!!

November 25th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I won't have a room to put Meghan in until after she's born. We're in a two bedroom right now that doesn't expire until August. But we'll have here in our room (in a pack and play) until then anyway.

I can understand not wanting to make the other kids uncomfortable, but honestly if this baby is going to live with you full time and they're only part time, the baby is the one that should have their own room when the time comes.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

November 25th, 2009, 02:08 PM
shanna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a 3 bedroom house and I love having my guest room set up for when my mom comes to visit. So for now and probably for almost a year the baby will sleep in our room in a crib. I did go buy new bedding but I will not be painting or decorating a "space" for her until we move her into the guest room. I'm even considering keeping the full size bed set up in the room with her crib until she's big enough to be in the bed herself that way if I have guests they can just share the room with her (if she's a good sleeper).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search