At prenatal check-ups, do drs./mid-wives record your baby's movements?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 25th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
For both my 16 and 20 week check-ups, the dr. and nurse asked me if I felt movements yet. I'm wondering if he then records that in my chart? I don't know why he would ask me this, especially since he knows that I:

1.) have no idea what's going on in there, being a FTM
2.) Have an anterior placenta

I'm wondering if he marks it down, like he does my vital stats...

I go back in 3 weeks for my 24 week check-up, and I'm not counting on feeling her yet...but I'm wondering if I should just say "yes" so he stops asking me b/c it makes me feel awful when I always say no. But if they (drs) don't record for your chart, and he's just asking b/c he's curious, then maybe I will tell the truth...I mean, it's not a major thing...I will feel her someday, I'm just tired of everyone asking me and then giving me this sideways smile, like I'm missing such an incredible experience and they pity me. I don't feel bad for not feeling her...I know it's b/c of the placenta...it's not my fault or anything.

November 25th, 2009, 08:34 AM
CuteName's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They're just asking because SOME people have felt the baby by now...not all. They asked me last time and I said once or twice, but not consistently and the Doc made a note of that.

They won't have you track movements until later when you should be feeling them all the time. I believe it's normal for some first time moms to not feel them at all until later. Also it's normal for first time moms to not know what they feel like at all. You may have been having them and just not known. I know I have to be sitting totally still and since I've had two already I know what I'm feeling, but it's soooo random.

P.S. I don't think it's ever beneficial to LIE to your doctor for any reason. It's not going to help anything.
November 25th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Your doctor is the one person you should never lie to, especially about things that are going on with your pregnancy. It's ok if you're not feeling movement yet. Mostly they just ask to make sure everything is going ok. Of course if you had been feeling movement and then you said it had stopped, the doctor is going to want to do tests, that's why they ask. My doctor never asked for a kick count with Max, I think a lot of doctor only do that if there is reason to.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

November 25th, 2009, 08:52 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Certainly don't tell your doc that you've felt the baby when you haven't. My midwife just asks me if I feel the baby and leaves it at that. In the next few weeks, I'm sure they'll recommend starting the kick count since I am feeling her consistently. With the position of your placenta, it will happen eventually but I'm sorry you feel like you're being left out!
November 25th, 2009, 09:13 AM
~Claudia~'s Avatar mommy to Nico & Seba
ditto the others. No need to lie to your doctor about this... They will ask about it at every appointment even if you tell them you have felt your baby the previous time.
November 25th, 2009, 09:18 AM
lilflower
They will always ask. If you are unsure if you are feeling her or not the DR may be able to help distinguish it. Because gas at this point isn't gas. But I wouldn't feel bad or lie about it. I just started feeling regular movement within the last few days. And I have the anterior placenta too, and this is my 3rd.
November 25th, 2009, 09:29 AM
J-V221's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes they do record this. In my cart my doc has an area for my current weight, if I have pain and what type, if I have felt any movements (Which he wrote at the time No in a certain area). He writes a few others down but I can't remember at the moment.
November 25th, 2009, 10:02 AM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't lie about this....if you don't feel movement that is OK but your doctor needs to know. If I haven't felt any movement by 22 weeks my doctor wanted me to call him so we can check the movement by U/S.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

November 25th, 2009, 10:03 AM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
They asked me when i was just 16 weeks and they say they just ask now all the time she reassured me it was fine not to feel movements yet! I would not lie to your doctor though if you are not feeling movements as its all for yours and yours baby sake! xx

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (31)
together for 10.5 years married for 4.5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

November 25th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Dont lie to your doc as the other ladies said. Even if you said yes at 16 weeks, he's going to ask you if you still feel it at 20 weeks and for most of your subsequent visits.
November 25th, 2009, 01:47 PM
shanna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They started asking me at my 13 week appointment. Until last week I didn't feel her much at all and now it's daily. Being a FTM it makes it difficult to determine if that is what you are feeling and some women don't even feel kicks or anything throughout there pregnancy...look at those women on that show "I didn't know I was pregnant." Don't feel bad just tell your doctor the truth and ask what he thinks as to when you will start feeling movements since your placenta is in a weird position.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search