Do newborns wear pants?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 27th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
First off---Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope you all had a blessed day. I did some Christmas shopping today and found this ADORABLE Carters outfit for newborns. It had 4 onsies (I think long sleeve) and then I'd have to buy matching pants w/ruffles on the butt. The onsies are red, blue and pink and I really love it b/c the red is so girlie and I'd like to spice up her wardrobe a bit. She'd wear socks and I'd have a blankie near her/wrapped on her all the time (my mom said anything other than a comfy "sleeper" will make her cold...she's crazy.

But my mom said that newborns don't wear onsies w/seperate pants. She said I should only buy sleepers and onsies w/legs attached. Even my SIL said the same thing. She said that babies will just sleep the first 3 months so buying "outfits" is silly.

I know Alyssa will sleep a lot and I want her to be comfy in her jammies. But maybe I could just put her in an "outfit" once and a while??

Do you think I should just wait until she's bigger when all she will be wearing are onsies and pants? I just LOVE the pants b/c they have ruffles on the butt. But maybe it's not smart to buy this and I should buy sleepers instead??

***ALSO (and this is crucial considering the sales right now)

Should I buy newborn outfits or skip newborns and buy 0-3 months? 0-3 months look HUGE but I don't know how long newborns stay in newborn clothes. So far I only bought 3 newborn outfits and the rest are 0-3 months...what is everyones personal opinon? I bought Alyssa a newborn sleeper today and the cashier said "I doubt she'll even fit into this b/c they grow so fast".

November 27th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
with my older DS I didn't have him in newborns for longer than maybe 4 weeks. with my younger ds I had to go out and even buy premies because the newborns were huge, and he was almost 7 lbs, so it really depends. I used outfits. Especally the time of year our little ones are coming, I think you tend to go out more so I can see using them every so often, not all day everyday but often

November 27th, 2009, 05:10 PM
morebluethanpink
Newborns could wear pants; there's nothing wrong with it and they won't be cold because of it. Mine do tend to wear sleepers more than anything else for the first 3 months but its more out of convenience than anything; they are not easy to dress, being as floppy and curled up as they are, and with all the peeing, pooping, puking they do around the clock, they tend to need changed (diaper and outfits) quite often, so it's a hassle to constantly put on 3 peice outfits or whatever.. I tend to buy a few outfits just for things like going out or whatever.. if you love it that much, buy it! Not the end of the world!

And as for size, I would say more 0-3 months size. I would rather have them wear clothes that are a little too big (that they'll quickly grow into) rather than have a big baby and have all the clothes be useless becuase they're too small, kwim?
November 27th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Newborns can wear pants! My last baby was 8 lbs 8 oz and she still wore newborn sizes for almost 6 weeks. i'd buy a few newborn items and then some 0-3 months.

November 27th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Your newborn can wear whatever you want her to. I kept Max mostly in onesies and swaddled in a receiving blanket at home at first to make it easier for those many diaper changes, but she can wear whatever you want her to.

As for size, it just depends on the baby. Max was 7 lbs 10 oz at birth and 0-3 didn't really fit him until about two months. I actually had one pack of newborn onesies and ended up having to buy more newborn clothes because 0-3 was just soooo big.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

November 27th, 2009, 05:49 PM
CuteName's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I kept my new babies mostly in diapers and tshirts or onesies and then kept them swaddled in a blanket. They can wear pants, but they usually still have their legs all smooshed up so I didn't see the point.
November 27th, 2009, 05:58 PM
MichelleN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I put pants on my son all the time when he was a newborn. At night I had him in sleepers but during the day I almost always had a onsie/t shirt and pants on him. Even though their legs are bowed (for a few months) he was still cute. You can put your little girl in whatever you want to put her in. She'll be fine. She is being born in April so it's not like she's being born in December.
November 27th, 2009, 07:10 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
newborns can wear whatever you put on them! there is no law!

My kids are in preemies, then newborns, and then 0-3 months. My daughter was still wearing 0-3 months at a year... each child is different.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
November 27th, 2009, 08:02 PM
k8liz311's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My son wore mostly sleepers.. although I did put him in onsies and pants occasionally. I bought a few newborn things and a bunch of 0-3 month. I actually had to go out and buy more newborn things because he was tiny at 7lbs.

It's definitely up to you what you want to buy. Keep your receipts.. usually you can return things for at least a store credit.

November 27th, 2009, 09:12 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
They wouldn't make them if they "couldn't" wear them! We brought Kaija home in a onesie and pants with socks and a snow suit overtop since she was born in January. This baby will likely wear the same snow suit as well since it's still fairly chilly here in March/April. We did have her in sleepers most of the first few weeks because she had jaundice and was on a bili-light at home for 8 days so it was much easier for us - she had a light tube coming out of her jammies! After that we dressed her in clothes all the time... As for size, I'd go with more 0-3m stuff. It's better to have her clothes too big than too small.
November 28th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is my first, and the thought of all the clothes and accessories that come with a newborn is overwhelming! I would have both though, and see what is more comfortable for your baby and for you! My sister loved the little pants sets because the onesies wiht the long legs were hard to get her son's legs out of for diaper changes. Even now she always asks if we by pj's to get the 2-peice set and not the sleepers. But I think it is a personal preference.

I definitely want some "outfit" because it will probably be May when this little on arrives (I'm due April 28) and being a teacher, I am off all summer. I also have 5 friends that I work with due in April and May and I know we will get together. Gotta dress up the little man and show him off!

November 28th, 2009, 10:02 AM
homeschooling mom of 2
As everyone stated, dress your baby in what you like... with my first I bought mostly little outfits and dresses and in truth it was a PIA and I ended up going out to buy more cute one piece outfits (they make "sleepers" that look more like cute outfits) as it's hard to get things over those floopy little heads and when the diaper leaks up the front and the back (and we're not talking pee here) you'll be happy if you don't have to pull anything over their heads (my defining "I'm a grown up" moment was a blow out diaper on my fairly newborn daughter where there was noone home to help me, I cut the darn thing off her so I didn't have to smear everything over her head LOL)

As for size it just depends on your baby, kohls has a never ending return policy so you could buy some things in newborn sizes there and then take them back if your baby is to big... my DD was 9lbs 13oz and 21.5" at birth so even 0-3 didn't last very long on her and newborn wouldn't fit at all.
November 28th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I bought a lot of 0-3 months b/c I figured that my baby shower guests will buy newborn outfits and I dont think Lani will be wearing them for long. I got a lot of onsies with some matching pants but it'll be like 4 onsies together and then 2 matching pants together. I figured I'll only be really dressing her up if we have company or if I take her out. Other than that, it'll be just onsies.
November 28th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would definitely buy pants, but I pretty much always dressed Lily in full outfits and plan to with this baby. I don't like sleepers unless they are sleeping and I'm not a big fan of onesies worn by themselves that much. But most of my friends with kids just put their kids in sleepers/onesies early on. I just have different preferences.

Lily was 7lbs, 6oz at birth and wore newborn sizes for the first 6weeks, then I switched her to 0-3months. I plan to buy a few newborn sizes, but mainly 0-3 and up.

November 28th, 2009, 12:58 PM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You can do whatever you want.

I used sleepers almost non-stop unless we were going somewhere special. It was just easier. Evie ended up in 0-3 months clothes pretty quickly because she is super tall.

Outfits are cute but you have to remember that for the first couple months babies are all floppy and curled up.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

November 28th, 2009, 07:48 PM
shanna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used the onesie and pants alot. Allison was 6 lbs. 13 oz. and 19 inches at birth and I had some newborn clothes but she needed premie. The only thing I had a problem with in the premie clothes were the sleepers were too short so we used the onesie and pants alot then. She was in premie sizes probably about 3 or 4 weeks. It just depends on the child though. I say buy more 0-3 month clothes and then after she's born you'll know if you'll need more of the smaller sizes and can go buy some.
November 29th, 2009, 02:11 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post
I would definitely buy pants, but I pretty much always dressed Lily in full outfits and plan to with this baby. I don't like sleepers unless they are sleeping and I'm not a big fan of onesies worn by themselves that much. But most of my friends with kids just put their kids in sleepers/onesies early on. I just have different preferences.

Lily was 7lbs, 6oz at birth and wore newborn sizes for the first 6weeks, then I switched her to 0-3months. I plan to buy a few newborn sizes, but mainly 0-3 and up.
Ditto! I'm picky when it comes to dressing my child and I just wasn't a fan of putting her in pajama-type clothes if she wasn't sleeping. She was 7lbs 2oz at birth so she wore the newborn size for several weeks and 0-3 month until she was about 5 months old.
November 29th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Kodithegirl's Avatar Super Mommy
DS was born in June, so it was way too hot for pants, but I did dress him in shorts every day. I will have pants for this baby. I just remember hearing a lot about how babies can't regulate their own temperature as well as we can or something...so I figured pants would be good. I have no idea, though...I've never had a cold weather tiny baby before.

We just re-worked everything! Completely new fabric options, Slings, 6 new bedding options, Custom vinyl wall decals, and much much more!! $5 off for any justmommies.com forum members!!

November 30th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
Thanks everyone for your input...I think I will cont. to buy more 0-3 months for now...

Candi--your "defining moment" was hilarious...but I didn't know how floppy they are (but thinking about holding my little neice when she was born, she was very floppy). Maybe I will buy this outfit just b/c I love it, but then I think I will hold off on clothes until after my baby shower and maybe in March I'll see what's out there...a lot of the sleepers right now are those fleece sleepers and they are heavy...I don't know if April in Pa will be "fleece matieral"...last year we had an ice storm first week of April..but sometimes it's more milder.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search