Breastfeeding Baby Doll

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Kodithegirl's Avatar Super Mommy
A friend sent me this link, and I thought it was interesting. I just wanted to share...I didn't breastfeed, but for those of you who either did or will, would you feel comfortable giving this to your daughter so she could join you?

Bye-bye Bottle: Breastfeeding Baby Dolls are Here | Thingamababy

We just re-worked everything! Completely new fabric options, Slings, 6 new bedding options, Custom vinyl wall decals, and much much more!! $5 off for any justmommies.com forum members!!

November 30th, 2009, 12:37 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I remember when they mentioned this doll on the Today's Show several months ago. I think Kathie Lee said it was disgusting. I don't really see anything wrong with it, but the little bra top the kid has to wear to make the doll's sucking action work is a little funny. I know that a doll like this would never be made here in the US, and I seriously doubt I'll get one for Lily or this second little girl. They can just pretend to breastfeed their regular dolls.
November 30th, 2009, 12:39 PM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I BF'd Evie and I will BF'd this one. I have no plans to get her this doll. She can feed her babies with a bottle. If she decides to pretend to BF her dolls I don't care but I feel no need to get her a special doll.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

November 30th, 2009, 12:40 PM
lilflower
I wouldn't give that exact doll to my child, but she has babies that she "breastfeeds" I don't see it any different than bottle feeding baby dolls.
November 30th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Shelli1981's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Shelli1981
OMG I think that is too Cute

November 30th, 2009, 12:51 PM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I breastfed Kinley and will be breastfeeding this baby as well.....Kinley only feeds her babies with a bottle right now because she doesn't remember me breastfeeding her (I breastfed her for a year). I don't knwo what she'll do once this baby gets here...but I will be pumping some bottles so she can feed her brother/sister too.

DH's aunt said when she had her son, her older daughter (who was around 2) would breastfeed her baby doll and that it was so cute--but now she gets embarassed when it is mentioned lol. Kids just do what they see their parents doing...so I won't care if Kin breastfeeds her baby-it will be cute...but I won't be getting her a special doll

November 30th, 2009, 01:26 PM
homeschooling mom of 2
I bf my DD for 3 1/2yrs yet anytime she played with a doll she gave it a bottle even though she never had one... I always thought that was interesting and I was amazed how she had picked up bottle feeding just from seeing others do it/tv/and the doll accessories themselves. I think I remember her telling ME to nurse her dolls a few times... she no longer remembers nursing (she's 5 1/2) but she still feeds her dolls with a bottle, she knows I plan to bottle feed this baby and she tells me all the time how I should nurse LOL (apparently do as I say not as I pretend to do)

That said, I wouldn't go buy a specific doll for my girls to pretend to bf, if they want to pretend to bf they can just toss their baby dolls to their chest and pretend away!
November 30th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with everyone else - they can just pretend with the dolls they already have! I mean I only have boys but my 4yo remembers me breastfeeding my youngest and he still talks and asks about it. I don't think a specific breastfeeding doll is needed to promote breastfeeding..

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
November 30th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't buy it. I nursed Lily for 12.5 months until she chose to stop nursing (i think the taste changed after I got pregnant and I know my supply dropped). However she does hold her baby dolls to her chest and pretend to nurse to feed them. She has a few bottles lying around that people gave us, but she never drank from a bottle. She'll pick them up and put the nipple into her doll's belly button...I guess she thinks that a bottle goes there or something!

November 30th, 2009, 05:39 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I love the idea of this doll. We actually don't buy any dolls that come with baby bottles since nursing is such a huge thing in our household. I have no issue with my daughter pretending to nurse her babies (she says she wants to nurse the new baby too!), my son pretends to nurse as well.... This doll is just another way to show children that nursing is natural and normal.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
November 30th, 2009, 06:46 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I vaguely remember my mom nursing my brother and sister as well as 'nursing' my dolls. This doll is a little weird with the 'bra' to make the baby 'suck' but not too far out there. I will be nursing this baby and if Kaija pretends to nurse her babies, then that's awesome! But I won't get a special doll for it.
December 1st, 2009, 05:50 AM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
While I see absolutely nothing wrong with it, I think that like everyone else, I'll just let my girls "pretend" with the dolls they already have. I see no need to buy a doll that actually latches on. BUT...I woudn't go so far as to call it discusting like Kathie Lee did. I mean, we market dolls that actually suck bottles, so if thats okay whats wrong with a doll who actually breastfeeds? Personally, I don't see the need to purchase a doll that actually does either. Pretending is just fine!
When I started nursing Kambree, my son Brice who was three started trying to breastfeed his stuffed animals and his sisters' dolls! He even did it at preschool! He would lift his shirt and the whole bit. I thought it was rather humerous but hubby was not so impressed! LOL!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
December 1st, 2009, 07:13 AM
Super Mommy
I'm a HUGE advocate of breastfeeding but would not give my daughter this doll. It just weirds me out. Whatever happened to imaginary breastfeeding with a regular doll? That's what I did as a child.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search