Since January is getting closer..

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here's my dilemma. My deductible is $500 and my coinsurance is 20%. My OB's office manager has estimated that I will owe $1071 for my delivery. In October she tried to set me up on a payment plan for it but I told her I can't afford to pay on it until after December so she said I could pay the balance in full all at once but it had to be paid by January 31st. We have an HSA account that normally pays for ALL of our medical expenses. We have not paid out of pocket for any medical expenses for the last 5 years now but it turns out the money my OB wants is a DEPOSIT on future services- you can't pay that with an HSA it's illegal. So we have to pay him up front and then in April when the baby is actually born we will get reimbursed by our HSA. So what do I do now?

Option 1- borrow the money and pay interest on it every month until I'm reimbursed

Option 2- put it on my credit card and pay interest on it until I'm reimbursed

Option 3- Tell the office manager that I'm very sorry but I can't pay that amount until February 12th. By then our income tax refund will be back and I can pay it in cash interest free.

It's hard b/c they take $300 a month out of dh's check and deposit it directly into our HSA. So I have to come up with the cash on top of all his payroll deductions. Blah I told the office manager that I can't get reimbursed until they actually bill for my delivery and I asked her when that would be. She said they use a billing company so she doesn't handle it directly but surely she could get me a bill by the end of April since I'm due 4/13.

November 30th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
huh? the OB wants money upfront for a birth that you havent given yet and you guys have insurance?

That doesnt make any sense. After the insurance deductible that will be done AFTER birth, then you should get a bill from the hospital. They cant do it up front because yall dont know how much it will cost yet. Dont pay that OB until you've talked to your health insurance company about this.

I can see if you were paying for doula/midwife services that isnt covered by your insurance, but if its covered by your insurance, you should have to pay anything for the birth until after birth. Even if your OB is out-of-network, that still doesnt sound right.

What if you decide not to go with her or what if you're out of town and give birth elsewhere? Talk with a rep at your health insurance company b/c I've never heard of this before. Maybe someone else on this board has.
November 30th, 2009, 01:43 PM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well....DH and I did Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace class at the beginning of the year =which teaches you to get out of debt and stay out of debt...so I would go with option 3. Just talk to them about it and tell them your situation-I'm sure they will work with you as long as they get their money before you deliver.

We ONLY put things on our credit cards now for the coupons or extra % off...then pay them off right then.

Michelle---my OB is the same way. I pay $115 every doctors visit for 6 months...to pay my 20% of the delivery-which is around $700 for me. BUT that's only for the doctors visits and doctor's fee for the delivery. After the birth I will get the remaining bill from the hospital for the hospital stay and the hospital staff that will be there to help with birth. My OB will not file anything with my insurance until after the baby is born...which by that time I've already paid the doctor my 20%----that way I don't have to pay towards my deductible this year, then have to start over in Jan....

November 30th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did call my insurance company to double check and they say that's right he can legally collect it upfront. I just hate to take a loan to pay him b/c for the first time in YEARS the only debts we have are our mortgage and my minivan. Everything else is just our insurance, light bill etc. I like not having a bunch of monthly notes everywhere.

November 30th, 2009, 02:18 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I suggest Option 3 too- see if they can wait until you get your tax refund. You don't want to be paying interest on that money whether it's credit card or some loan.
November 30th, 2009, 02:37 PM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm also going to say option 3. We are getting out of debt right now and option1 and 2 are not a choice. I'm sure that if you talk to them they would work something out.

November 30th, 2009, 02:43 PM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am having to pay up front my 20% as well. I went for the payment plan because I could afford to go that route. I would not put anything on your credit card because you may have to use that for something else. I would go with option 3.

November 30th, 2009, 03:06 PM
*Ashley*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would go with option 3 as well. Although, just in case they say no, any chance you could borrow the money from a family member (parents maybe) so any loan would be interest free and would likely be more willing to wait for you to get your tax refund or even reimbursed by insurance?

Thank you Katarina for my fabulous siggy!

November 30th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's pretty normal for them to do it that way. I believe they have a set fee.

I too think you should talk to them and tell them all the details. Do it in person where they have to sit and talk to you. GL!

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

November 30th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our office works the same way. I owed $235 for my doctor's portion of the delivery and had to pay it upfront, or way given the option of five installments beginning back in Sept. We will get a separate bill after the birth for the hospital, epidural, etc.

I guess you could try talking to them first, but my personal experience is that doctor's offices are not terribly flexible when it comes to billing. If you had to put in on a credit card you are talking about maybe 3 or 4 billing cycles before you paid it off...not really that much interest in the grand scheme of things
November 30th, 2009, 04:24 PM
~Claudia~'s Avatar mommy to Nico & Seba
everybody else. It is normal to get billed upfront by the ob. Same thing happened when I was pregnant with DS and I had a 20% coinsurance. DH even asked what happened if there was no delivery, lol
November 30th, 2009, 08:06 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Ashley had a good option of seeing if family or someone could loan it too you interest free. You could write up a little contract so they know you're serious about repayment and by what date you intend to repay. Nothing too formal, but with the amount of money they may appreciate it.

It seems pretty standard for most Dr's offices to bill this way. Their delivery fee is flat and the hospital is what will vary. I'm glad I didn't end up paying my OB now that I'm changing! Hopefully my new Dr. will be less expensive
December 1st, 2009, 06:45 AM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Go with option 3! Explain the situation to the office manager, just the way you explained it to all of us. Really, you're only asking her to slide their "Deadline" back a couple weeks.
OB offices usually bill "globally" for pregnancy. That means that it is one set fee for all of your prenatal appointments, delivery charge and post partum appointment. They collect one set payment from insurance compainies. So for example, rather than billing, say $100 for each appointment and then a big fee for delivery they charge a package deal of say $2,500 which includes all appointments and delivery (obviously those exact amounts are just examples, it varies so greatly). So they can then tell you what your portion will be and often try to get patients to pay it before delivery time so they are assured of getting thier money. Sometimes, if they bill patients afterwards, some people unfortunately don't pay. And since they don't really need to go back (at least for a while) often those balances get left hanging.
But I think the office manager should be willing to work with you! You have been very responsible, you have resources set up to cover your medical expenses, its just that this situation can't be applied. You are only asking to move back the deadline until you get your income taxes which is just right around the corner from their Jan 31st deadline. Maybe you could even pay like a small amount as a deposit until income taxes come. I'm sure they'll work with you. KUP...

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
December 1st, 2009, 07:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh wow! Thanks Ladies... Learn something new everyday. I'm just used to people getting a bill for everything AFTER the fact. If my doctor asks, I'm going to click the button for "Bill me Later" like I can do when I shop online at Wal-mart. I guess thats option #3 huh.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search