Is anyone afraid that their choice of name will change?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2009, 12:52 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
I've heard from several people now not to settle on any one particular name until the baby arrives, because it'll likely change. And then I've heard from other moms that they called their babies by their first names the whole way through the pregnancy, and it of course didn't change.

Are any of you nervous that you'll think you're set on a certain name, but then change that name once your adorable little one is staring you in the face? What if your baby doesn't "look" like the name that you picked? (That was one example from a couple I encountered at work. They chose a name early on, stuck with it, but once they had the baby, they said the name just didn't fit.)

I'm a little nervous to use what I think my baby's name will be during pregnancy, because I don't want to get used to that name in case it changes after birth. And I definitely don't want family getting used to a certain name if it's only going to change.

So, we're dead certain on our boy's name (Caleb Michael), but I definitely will not be certain with a girl's name, because it's been so hard to even find one that I like with all my heart.

How do you feel about all this?

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
November 30th, 2009, 12:59 PM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With Kinley....we knew we wanted Kinley Grace before we even started trying to get pregnant....so as soon as we found out she was a girl, we started calling her that while I was pregnant.

Once we find out what this one is on Wed, we'll start deciding on a name. I will have he name picked out before he/she is born and start callin him/her that while I'm still pregnant. I can't wait til I see the baby to know what his/her name will be-that's just me though!

November 30th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I'm leaning towards the fact that, if I'm going to pick a name, it's going to be a lovely name that any girl could look good in. lol. I mean, I WANT to call the baby by its name before it's born, because that helps me to bond more, and it starts giving the baby a personality already. I'm just afraid that I might be fickle when the baby's in my arm. I'm VERY particular about names, and when I hear someone's name, sometimes I envision that person fitting a loose criteria, and if they don't, I might meet them and think, "Huh. That's not what I expected Lauren to look like," or something. Kwim? Maybe I'm just a weirdo. Haha!

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
November 30th, 2009, 01:06 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I was worried about that with Lily. We had picked out the name Liliana Josephine when I was about 6 months pregnant. Once she was born, we just knew that the name fit her. I don't think DH would have been willing to go through the name searching process even if I felt like the name wasn't right. I think it helps if you start calling the baby by its name before its born. Unfortunately we will keep our name a secret so we just end up calling it baby the whole time.
November 30th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We aren't settling on a name beforehand. That'll avoid the issue

November 30th, 2009, 01:19 PM
lauriebeth's Avatar mommy to Riley Grace
When we started TTC, we very quickly decided that, if a girl, our baby's name would be Riley Grace. Because the name is significant (my maiden name... using the mother's last name is a naming trend that's already in the family), I'm very confident that we won't change our minds. Also, after calling her Riley for so long, I think it would be very difficult for her to look like something else at birth.

Krissy, just a side note: Almost all the Laurens I know look similar (freckles, dark hair). Isn't that weird??

Thank you Meganpixel for my adorable siggy!

For crocheted hats and hair accessories visit *Daisy Cottage Designs* on Etsy!
November 30th, 2009, 01:23 PM
homeschooling mom of 2
Hmm... never even thought of changing my mind. I had picked out our daugther's names both times before I even knew they were girls... plus since all newborns sort of look.. well like newborns I'd personally have a hard time feeling a name didn't fit but maybe that's just because once I know the gender I call the baby her name the rest of the time. So for us, we're set on Liliana/Lily just like we were with my first DD Aliya/Ali.
November 30th, 2009, 01:41 PM
SerendipitysChild's Avatar Super Mommy
I waited till the last minute to pick Autumn's name and then even after she was born I still wasn't very sure of it. I kept looking at her and asking her if she was sure that Autumn was her name lol. I'm glad I stuck with it though!! With this baby there has only ever been one name - Elijah. I saw it in passing at the beginning of my pregnancy and it stuck. I was so sure that this baby was a boy that I never even glanced at girl names So just goes to show, it can go both ways and even if you aren't sure it is still okay to change your mind after the baby is here!

Thank You Jaidynsmum for my fabulous fall siggy!
November 30th, 2009, 01:46 PM
renee4152's Avatar Proud Mommy of 2!
i picked Kaitlyn's name before i even knew she was a girl. i never changed my mind. i picked Levi for this one long before i knew what i was having, and even though my husband is still coming up with other names, i know that my mind won't change. i just hope that he gets on board with it soon. i would be devastated to have to change it now.
November 30th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriebeth View Post
When we started TTC, we very quickly decided that, if a girl, our baby's name would be Riley Grace. Because the name is significant (my maiden name... using the mother's last name is a naming trend that's already in the family), I'm very confident that we won't change our minds. Also, after calling her Riley for so long, I think it would be very difficult for her to look like something else at birth.

Krissy, just a side note: Almost all the Laurens I know look similar (freckles, dark hair). Isn't that weird??
I'm a Lauren and I have red hair (on the blonde side) and freckles My best friend is Lauren and she has dark hair and no freckles.

November 30th, 2009, 01:57 PM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I always reserve the right to change my mind after she is born.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

November 30th, 2009, 02:12 PM
*Ashley*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The thought never crossed my mind with either girl. We picked the name before and were set on it and even after they were born, their names fit. I have heard it happening though. A friend of mine and even a mama in the 07 PR had a name picked out for their little ones and when they were born, they said the name just didn't fit. In fact, my parents changed my brothers legal name when he was about a year old. He is Russell (Rusty) Thomas now but he was born Thomas Robert (or something to that effect) but my dad's name is Robert Thomas and it just got to confusing.

Although Addison (DD#2) total fits my daughter, now that it has become so popular (who knew) I sometimes wish I had picked something else.

Thank you Katarina for my fabulous siggy!

November 30th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm just afraid we won't come up with a name until after he's born

November 30th, 2009, 02:21 PM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
Since we couldn't find out what we were having the first time, we chose a boys name and a girls' name. It wavered a few times then when I was about 8.5 months we stuck with the two names we picked. My aunt kept saying, how can you pick out a name before you see the baby? She asked me "What does a Rylee" look like to you. Weirdly enough I said "Well, she has blonde hair, blue eyes and is really girly" My aunt quickly pointed out that I have brown eyes and brown hair and Jason has brown hair and grey eyes, so that was unlikely. LOL Funny enough, our daughter (whom I thought was a boy the whole pregnancy) had blonde hair, very blue eyes and is very very girly! Kinda neat. Of course I don't expect the same insight this time!

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

November 30th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Aww! What a cute story, Laura! I do try to envision a name that I think fits well with a dark-haired person, because I think that, with DH being half-Korean and me having medium-dark brown hair, our baby will probably have dark hair. However, my older sister is dark hair, naturally tanned-looking skin, and dark brown eyes, and her husband is Italian with dark hair and brown eyes, and they produced my nephew, who has blonde hair and blue eyes. Thus, I'm not looking past the possibility that Jimmy and I will produce a light-colored child. Caleb seems an appropriate name for either look.

As for a girl.... I just don't know. I think that I will have to have a list of names, and I will have to see her first, before settling on one. Girls' names are definitely more picky in my opinion.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
November 30th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We've been calling our little guy baby Mikey (Michael) since before we even knew it was aboy! Lol. Michael is after dh and Jonathan (middle name) is after dh's best friend so we wont be changing our minds. Its a tradition in my family to name the middle name after someone and a tradition in dh's family to name the son Michael and have a "J" last name... so it works out perfectly!

November 30th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We waited until Lily was born to pick her name for sure. It was narrowed down to either Lily or Claire and we picked Lily with Claire being her middle name.

This baby we are leaning towards Violet, but waiting until she is born to decide for sure. No real reason why, it's just in case we do change our mind.

November 30th, 2009, 06:56 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I guess I hadn't thought about it either. We settled on our boy and girl names WELL before we go our BFP. But our boy name is family names and our girl name is something we both like - which is next to impossible to find. With Kaija we had her name picked out about a week after we found out we were having a girl. We had a REALLY hard time finding something we agreed on, so once we found one name we just stopped looking.
November 30th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Kodithegirl's Avatar Super Mommy
Well, at our hospital, we had to fill out paperwork before we went in to deliver with the "expected name." I asked if we had to keep that name, and the lady told us we didn't HAVE to, but we would have to fill out everything again if we wanted to change it. We didn't change it, but I doubt we would have anyway.

It was kinda funny, though, because we hadn't settled on a middle name before we got there and we sat there for like, half an hour until we finally decided on Matthew.

With this baby, I knew her name before I actually found out I was pregnant. The day I found out, I had been hanging out with a good friend who is also pregnant. At that point, she was 12 weeks and had just been told she was having a girl (this has since been changed to boy...) and I said I would have a girl next and that her name would be Isabella Ahavah and that we would call her Izzy. That night, I got my BFP.

We just re-worked everything! Completely new fabric options, Slings, 6 new bedding options, Custom vinyl wall decals, and much much more!! $5 off for any justmommies.com forum members!!

December 1st, 2009, 05:58 AM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We've done it both ways. For our older kid, we used to have gender and name set and that way was nice for some reasons. Then for the last couple pregnanices we've brought name lists to the hospital and picked after we saw the baby. That way had advantages too. Either way if fine really, IMO. The first allows you to call your child by name sooner, the latter allows for not getting unwanted opinions and it is really fun and surprising (even for you, if you don't pick). I think we're going to do the name list at the hospital type thing. Its fun picking a name (to me, for some it would be stressful) while you are holding your new baby. The only drawback is that sometimes after delivery, when you are hormonal and emotinal, you have to make sure you don't pick something that sounds really neat or cool right then but that you may be tired of in three weeks. Hence, the name list. We build our list over the whole 9 months. That way we know we won't end up picking some wild card name that sounded really cool in my tired, exhausted state and later I'll say "what the heck was I thinking about?" LOL!

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search