For those worried about gaining too much...

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2009, 04:02 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Racine's thread made me want to put this out there for others to read (especially since it took me a while to type it from the book! lol), because I don't want all you beautiful ladies being afraid to eat! Since What to Expect When You're Expecting seems to be trusted by the majority of pregnant women, I thought that posting information directly from the book about weight gain might help to ease your minds some. I just copy and pasted what I wrote in her thread, with some editing from my post in her thread:

What You're Supposed to Gain:
1st Trimester: Approximately 3-4 pounds
2nd Trimester: 12-14 pounds
3rd Trimester: 8-10 pounds

Total Pregnancy Gain Breakdown:
Baby - 7.5 pounds
Placenta - 1.5 pounds
Amniotic Fluid - 2 pounds
Uterine Enlargement - 2 pounds
Maternal Breast Tissue - 2 pounds
Maternal Blood Volume - 4 pounds
Fluids in Maternal Tissue - 4 pounds
Maternal Fat Stores - 7 pounds

That's an approximate gain of 30 lbs, most of it being the baby and all that baby stuff (+/- 5 lbs depending on individual and baby), and that breakdown is completely healthy and normal.

Unless you're 10-20% or more overweight to begin with, you shouldn't look to gain anything less than 25 lbs by the end of the pregnancy. So relax, ladies! If you're halfway through your 2nd Trimester and you've only gained 5 lbs, that isn't too much!

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
November 30th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey thanks for posting the info. I know as far as the stats go, since I've only gained 9 lbs the entire time I'm still doing okay...my paranoia comes from having gained 55 pounds with my first and JUST having gotten it all off shortly before becoming pregnant again....

I didn't even think about the numbers on the scale the first time around, and I regretted it.

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

November 30th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Also, for any first time moms, I gained 41 lbs with my first pregnancy (130 lbs to 171 lbs at delivery) and I was back down to 135 lbs within the first 6 weeks after delivery without even trying to lose the weight. Your body does a good job of shedding the weight, especially if you breastfeed and drink a lot of water after the birth.
November 30th, 2009, 08:05 PM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^not all the time hehe I gained 28lbs with Kinley.....walked out of the hospital 1lb lighter from all the fluids I got while in the hospital (I had a csection). I breastfed for a year and it took me a while to lose anything.......I finally lost the last 10lbs after going on Weight Watchers when Kin was a year old.

With that said, I wasn't real concerned about losing the weight with Kinley....with this one I want to get down to what I was before I had Kinley pretty soon after baby is born I'm going to try to eat healthier while breastfeeding this time around

December 1st, 2009, 04:40 AM
CuteName's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm trying to not stress over weight gain too. The thing I have come to realize is that I need to try to not eat crazy all the time. But what is life without the occasional indulgences? If I want to eat junky food now and then I know it will affect my weight and I'll just work my bootay off after I'm done being pregnant to get back into shape.

This is probably the very last time in my life I'll have an excuse to toss on a few pounds since this is my last baby. I don't want to be unhealthy, but I still want to have a little fun
December 1st, 2009, 05:45 AM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
i think it just depends on the person and their body, i gained 43lbs with rhianna and i only ever managed to shift 30lbs of it, i ate terribly with her pregnancy, i think you still need to watch what you eat and be senisble about your choices but not be too overly worried that you are not eating

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (31)
together for 10.5 years married for 4.5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

December 1st, 2009, 06:05 AM
LisaBrown's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree that even if you watch what you eat, your body will still gain whatever it needs to and we have to stop worrying about it too much! Isn't it crazy that we are almost pre-programmed as women to worry about weight all the time? My doc said I should gain about 20-25 total which she calculated using my pre-pregnancy weight. I only eat 3 meals a day and snack in between and don't eat after 7 or 8 pm...basically eating the same as before with a little extra here and there. I have still put on about 14 lbs so far, even though I'm not exagerating in the least bit...I would actually like to indulge more but keep reminding myself to try to stick to my 25lb weight gain....but I know I may go over regardless and I've decided to let my issues go and just keep doing the best I can...whether I gain 40lbs or just the recommended 25! The only other option is to starve myself, and I would never do that to me and my baby! Besides, the books say 1lb every week or 2 is normal in the 2nd trimester and 1 or 2 a week in the last, especially the last month, so seems to me we are all in the normal range, we're just worrying too much!

December 1st, 2009, 06:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks Krissy! I am just starting to eat like how I ate before. I've only gained 9 lbs which is great to me. My mom gained about 30lbs when she was prego with me, so I'm hoping to do about the same. I'm classified as overweight but I have hereditary bootay and thighs that I think are well proportioned with my body, so I dont consider myself overweight esp b/c I worked out/lifted weight before.

And I agree, your body will gain what it needs to gain regardless of if you eat a lot or a little. Sometimes it takes a few weeks, sometimes a few months, sometimes a few years to get off. But I think most of us on this board have become mindful of gaining too much weigh to hopefully not gain 60-70 lbs. But a friend of mine gained 60lbs during her pregnancy and a year and a few months later, she's only up about 5 or 10 extra lbs from her pre-preg weight
December 1st, 2009, 06:43 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
I'm off to a shaky start with the gaining part of it, since I lost weight with m/s, and am only now starting to gain it. I believe I'm up 3-5 lbs from pre-pregnancy. I'll find out more when I go for my appt on the 9th. I just don't want to gain too little, and have my baby suffer the consequences or something. I eat healthy still (mostly, anyway), but I'm trying to eat more than I normally would...I just get full so fast now. It's like the baby is already taking up too much room or something. I hope I hear good results at my next appt.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
December 1st, 2009, 06:50 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Unless you are being TOTALLY unhealthy and dieting using unhealthy means during pregnancy, there are very few consequences to losing weight. I lost 25 lb. with Kaija and she was 7 lb 7oz when she was born and very healthy! She tried holding her head up right away! I did end up gaining 23 of those lb. back, but never got back to my pre-pregnancy weight (and still haven't). All of the 23 lb I regained was baby related - placenta, blood, baby, fluids, etc.

All that to say, don't worry about not gaining enough or too much. Your body will do what it needs to do to make a healthy baby. Be reasonable, but not unhealthy. If you're hungry, eat. Baby is telling you something!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search