when to buy the big items?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2009, 10:10 AM
peaches84's Avatar Super Mommy
when is everyone planning on buying the bigger items, I already have a crib and noticed that many of you are already getting or at least picking out bedding, but what about car seat, stroller etc. my family doesn't do baby showers and this is the first on my other side of the family so I don't know if they would do a shower or not and it's a small family anyway. I don't think I am even going to do a registry.

anyway I am just wondering if I should wait to get stuff or if I should go out and start shopping away. clothing and diapers I will slowly pick up, i'm just wondering about the bigger things

6/15/13
December 1st, 2009, 10:20 AM
Kodithegirl's Avatar Super Mommy
For me, I just got the stuff when I had a spot for it. If you feel comfortable getting stuff now, go for it. If you feel like you should wait a little longer, that's fine, too. There's only one real deadline to have the things you need, and that's in April for us!!

We just re-worked everything! Completely new fabric options, Slings, 6 new bedding options, Custom vinyl wall decals, and much much more!! $5 off for any justmommies.com forum members!!

December 1st, 2009, 10:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
When I was pregnant with Lily I had all the big items by the time I was 7 months pregnant. I had 3 baby showers (1 work and 2 family) and nobody bought "big" items, they all gave clothes + money or toys. So, we ended up buying all of the big items ourselves, except for a dresser (SIL bought it) and the pack 'n play (my parents)

December 1st, 2009, 10:22 AM
homeschooling mom of 2
We have our crib, I ordered the dresser/changing table as it's a 8-12wk delivery time. I haven't purchased the stroller, carseat, swing, pack 'n play, etc yet though I will start after the holidays (many companys put out new patterns every year so you can often find the 2009 patterned items at a big discount when the 2010's come out). All those smaller big items start adding up quickly so I figure it's easier on the bank account to buy a couple a month then have a huge haul in March. I've also already started picking up the small items, lamp, blankets, diaper pail, hamper, decorations now.
December 1st, 2009, 10:23 AM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
For Us before the baby is born I will buy the stroller and car seat (need to bring baby home), bath tub, bassinette and maybe a baby swing. (also little stuff like sheets, diapers, etc. I have already bought a used bouncy seat and if I find any other good deals I might get them, but I THINK that is all I NEED to get before the baby comes.

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

December 1st, 2009, 10:23 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like to have all my big items bought by the seventh month.

December 1st, 2009, 10:26 AM
Super Mommy
We've been buying up things as we can. Especially when I see a great deal. I know from past experience not to expect the bigger gear to be bought at your shower. Most everyone gifts outfits and such.

So far I've bought the crib bedding, carseat, stroller, bouncer, mei tai, swing and baby bath when I saw a great sale, an ad in craigslist or something I couldn't pass up. My parents gave us a gorgeous dresser they were going to sell at a garage sale.

The only big things left to buy are the crib and a pack n play. Oh, and cloth diapers. My parents have also promised us a rocking recliner.

We don't celebrate christmas so extra money goes straight to baby stuff. I'd like to be all done earlyish in the next year.

Last edited by Carmoma; December 1st, 2009 at 10:34 AM.
December 1st, 2009, 10:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We'll probably start the nursery with tax money so i'm starting to pick ou crib/dresser and bedding now...

Other stuff i'm hoping to get at a shower or from our parents, i know its unlikely that we'll get all the big stuff but with have three sets of parents (my mom, dhs mom and step dad, and dad and step mom) plus dh's grandparents and stuff. I'm sure MIL will ask what we want so i'll probably request the travel system from that side of the family and maybe as my mom for the playpen. Other then that theres just things like swings and bouncy seats which i have aunts and stuff that will probably get those items. I expect friends and distant family will be the ones ending up getting clothes, towels etc... and thats cool with me

December 1st, 2009, 10:50 AM
renee4152's Avatar Proud Mommy of 2!
i read in a baby magazine this morning that November and December are the best months to buy the big baby gear b/c they are the slowest at the baby stores and they have better discounts. don't know how true it is, but it makes sense.
December 1st, 2009, 11:06 AM
CuteName's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm waiting until feb/march probably unless I can't hold out and spend my financial aid I'll get in January Otherwise I'm hoping to get a pretty decent tax return as I wasn't married all of last year and then I'll have some fun with that.

Right now I don't want anything else to dust...lol
December 1st, 2009, 01:19 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
We get it whenever we have the time and money too
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
December 1st, 2009, 08:51 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you have the time and money now, I'd go for it.

December 1st, 2009, 09:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think we ordered our crib at about 30 weeks pregnant first time round. we did buy a bassinet earlier than that though. sheets etc I probably started to pick up here and there after 20 weeks... but as someone else said, probably you can start to buy the big ticket things whenever you feel comfortable doing it!

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
December 1st, 2009, 10:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would totally agree with the ladies, don't wait for others, I would picj things up as you can afford it

December 2nd, 2009, 01:39 PM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would just picke stuff up as you can afford it.

Remember some items may have a wait. I bought our crib at BRU and it had a 8 week wait.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search