Breastfeeding ??

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2009, 01:18 PM
KasieH's Avatar Super Mommy
I am really wanting to breastfeed this time, but I am pretty clueless about what that involves. I understand the basic process, but I have a question.

If you plan to be a stay at home mom, do you need a pump?

December 1st, 2009, 01:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am a SAHM and I never pumped. I think it just depends on if you plan to be away from the baby for a longer period of time. I was never away from Lily for more than 2-3 hours until she hit 6 months and started some solids. At that point she was able to go a little longer between nursing so I could be gone for 3-4 hours before she'd want to nurse. I usually always had her with me though since I nursed on demand and not according to a schedule.

I know some SAHMs that pump so that their husbands can give bottles to the baby at night, etc. But I never minded nursing her at night. I don't plan to pump with this baby either.

December 1st, 2009, 01:25 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I never pumped. For the first year I go no where without the babe and after that they aren't nursing as much so it doesn't matter.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
December 1st, 2009, 01:28 PM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it really depends. I tried breastfeeding the first 2 times and it didn't work out. If I had had a good pump though I would have pumped exclusively. This time I plan to try again and rent a good pump to keep at home for the first few weeks.

December 1st, 2009, 01:30 PM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did only because it helped my my milk come in and stay in. It was nice to have it on hand (frozen) when we needed it. There were times when I got sick that my milk wasn't coming in good so that helped a lot. Really it does depend on if you plan on leaving for baby for long periods.

December 1st, 2009, 01:58 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not a SAHM, so I am going to have to pump. Thankfully the baby will be about 3 1/2 months before I go back, and I only work a 7 hour day (I'm a teacher). I am stealing my sister's pump since her son will be around 14 months when my son is born.

Does anyone know a good book on breastfeeding to help a first time mom?

December 1st, 2009, 02:04 PM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It really depends on how close you want to have to stay with your baby.

I liked going out for girl's night or taking a Saturday afternoon to myself. In that case I had frozen Breast milk for DH to feed her. I always brought my pump in case I felt engorged. Then I would just do a quick pumping session and carry on with my evening.

Plus, I liked my pump because it took a couple weeks for Evelyn and I to get on the same schedule. I remember walking up one night and my left boob was sooooo full. Evie was sleeping and would not wake up to eat. That was the first time I used my pump at home and it was a life saver.

Some mom's bring their baby everywhere for the first couple months until things get established. I didn't because I wanted some me time.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

December 1st, 2009, 02:23 PM
KasieH's Avatar Super Mommy
That is all helpful. Now, what kind of pump to get and like Laura said does anyone have any book/website suggestions?

December 1st, 2009, 02:27 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I recommend taking a class as well as reading up on it. Check out the breastfeeding board here on JM. There are a ton of very knowledgeable ladies over there! If you do want/need a pump as a SAHM a manual pump would likely be enough.
December 1st, 2009, 04:32 PM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If it wasn't for my pump, I wouldn't have made it past 3 days. The 3rd day after Kinley was born, my milk came in and my nipples were cracked and bleeding. I couldn't let her latch on because it hurt so bad. I was able to pump for a few days, and continually apply Lansinoh on them for them to heal. Then I was able to let her latch back on. I also wanted DH, our parents, siblings, etc to be able to feed her too-so they could bond with her. DH really liked being able to feed her and have her fall asleep in his arms like she would with me when I would nurse her.

I was a SAHM mom and breastfed Kinley for a year...after the first month/2 I stopped pumping and just nursed her unless DH wanted to feed her or I needed to leave her with my mom for an hour or 2. It just became easier to nurse her then to pump.

I will pump some bottles for this baby as well...so DH, Kinley and other family members can feed him/her. It was also easier to have a bottle ready if I went to church, than to get up and leave to go nurse...even though our church has a "nursing room" for new moms to nurse their babies, see the preacher but no one can see in. Going to church was really the only place I pumped bottles for with Kinley.

December 1st, 2009, 05:18 PM
TeamNick's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have the pump in style and I love it!!!

I never had any sucess with the manual hand pumps.

Mommy to Evie and Isla Marie

December 1st, 2009, 05:21 PM
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
The breastfeeding book by Dr. Sears and "The womanly Art of Breastfeeding" are great reads.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

December 1st, 2009, 05:22 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
A manual pump may work out okay for you if you're staying home. My sister is a SAHM and she had a single electric pump but wants a double electric pump for when her second comes. A double electric pump will get the job done quicker than a manual can. I know a lot of people recommend the Medela Pump in Style. I had an Ameda Purely Yours that worked well too. I don't have any books to recommend, but once you start breastfeeding, kellymom.com will be a lifesaver.
December 1st, 2009, 05:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It really depends. I didn't need a pump because I had no plan to be away from the baby for long enough to need to pump. I wouldn't have pumped for the first six weeks anyway as the whole supply/demand thing is being established and it's just better if baby is feeding from you as your baby is more efficient at getting the milk then a pump is. But I guess it's a very personal decision - like will you be planning to leave the baby with people a lot etc.

Good luck!

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
December 1st, 2009, 07:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm planning to get an electric pump even though I won't be working, at least for awhile. I think it's just a good thing to have to provide flexibility.

December 1st, 2009, 07:42 PM
k8liz311's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was a SAHM breastfed for 2 years and I never pumped. I bought a small manual pump which I used about 10 times total... I hated pumping. I just never went anywhere without him for the 1st 6 months. If you are going to be away for more then 3 hours then you will probably want at least a small manual. Mine cost about $45.
This time I'm going to be working full time so I have to buy an electric pump. Should be interesting since I hate pumping!
I had this book :
The American Academy of Pediatrics New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding by American Academy Of Pediatrics, Joan Younger Meek M.D., and Sherill Tippins

It was good. Cost about $6 and covers everything. Isn't so pro breastfeeding that it's sickening.. just very informative.

December 1st, 2009, 07:45 PM
RawrDiino's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to RawrDiino Send a message via Yahoo to RawrDiino
I was a SAHM with my First. I had a single electric pump and usually kept about 1-2 days worth of frozen BM stocked in the freezer. Mine would never take a bottle so it always ended up going to waste, but I saved it for the *here and there* holiday parties I attended. I think I went to ONE halloween party while nursing him and so I had to pump out my milk for 48 hours to get rid of the alchohal. Not like I drank much anyway. However, when we came down with Thrush, it gave my bbs a lot of relief to be able to substitute a couple of feedings with expressed breast milk. Keep in mind I only pumped about 2-4 ounces a day to keep up this stock. It can come in handy when/if something comes up you would need it, but typically as a SAHM it isnt neccasary.
мα∂єℓуи 4.8.10
вєвє вєαи є∂∂ 7.30.11
ωιfєу тσ נσни 9.25.10
December 1st, 2009, 08:26 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am a WAHM - I used the pump to help my milk come in and to up my milk production when I felt I needed to produce more than I was.

December 2nd, 2009, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawrDiino View Post
I was a SAHM with my First. I had a single electric pump and usually kept about 1-2 days worth of frozen BM stocked in the freezer. Mine would never take a bottle so it always ended up going to waste, but I saved it for the *here and there* holiday parties I attended. I think I went to ONE halloween party while nursing him and so I had to pump out my milk for 48 hours to get rid of the alchohal. Not like I drank much anyway. However, when we came down with Thrush, it gave my bbs a lot of relief to be able to substitute a couple of feedings with expressed breast milk. Keep in mind I only pumped about 2-4 ounces a day to keep up this stock. It can come in handy when/if something comes up you would need it, but typically as a SAHM it isnt neccasary.

You don't have to pump to get rid of the alcohol in your breastmilk. It will dissipate as it leaves your blood stream. And alcohol isn't necessarily bad - a lot of IBCLC's recommend drinking a beer to help up supply. As long as you aren't smashed you can still nurse, and if you are you just need to wait until your not to nurse again.

December 2nd, 2009, 09:43 AM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
kellymom :: Breastfeeding and Parenting is a great resource!

I have a Playtex Embrace system that I love. It was cheaper than the others and held up to a year of pumping. I have no doubts it'll hold up for this baby as well. I started out with a hand pump and it was awful. My body didn't respond to it enough to produce hardly anything and it hurt.

I'm a SAHM but the pump was a lifesaver. When my supply dropped, I'd pump after every feeding to bring it back up. When Max had hand, foot and mouth and had no interest in eating, I pumped to keep up. It was also good to have a freezer of breast milk just in case I needed it. I went through a period of PPD and it was good to be able to give someone a bottle and get away or even just sleep for a while during that time.

A friend of mine had to have surgery a month after delivering her daughter. It was a great thing that she had pumped and stored. Between the hospital stay and waiting for the medication to leave her system, she was unable to nurse for 4 days. Her baby never had to take formula during that time because she had storage. And she just pumped and dumped to keep up her supply.

So no, you don't HAVE to have one. But it's good to have it.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search