am i bad or good?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2009, 10:02 AM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
SO for the last 2 weeks or so I have been wanting dr pepper. But it has to have caffeine it. I drink about a 12 oz can and a 20 oz bottle a day. Some days I go without and others its just a 12 oz can or two. Am i hurting the baby. With DS i never did it but i just have to have it now.

December 2nd, 2009, 10:07 AM
Regular
i know that on root beer and coke, near the nutrition information it says how many mg of caffeine are in that drink. as long as you're not exceeding 200mg a day, you're fine. they tell us to avoid caffeine, but the truth is we need to avoid it in excess. 200mg a day is safe. i don't have caffeine everyday and the first couple months were really hard having no caffeine and getting bad headaches, but now i just monitor how much i'm getting and it's fine. hope this helps

December 2nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
Totally a personal decision, but research says that as long as you're keeping under 200 mg of caffeine, you should be fine. Look up how much caffeine is in a Dr Pepper and you'll see that you're ok.

Don't feel badly about things that you need. You've got a 2 year old this time around needing attention and that zaps energy. Things will be different.
Caroline - November '12

December 2nd, 2009, 10:19 AM
dbarney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpaper06 View Post
Totally a personal decision, but research says that as long as you're keeping under 200 mg of caffeine, you should be fine. Look up how much caffeine is in a Dr Pepper and you'll see that you're ok.

Don't feel badly about things that you need. You've got a 2 year old this time around needing attention and that zaps energy. Things will be different.
Really the caffeine does help with energy. It's not why i drink it but it sure is a positive.

December 2nd, 2009, 10:21 AM
Amanda C's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think your fine. I'm still drinking regular coffee every day.

December 2nd, 2009, 10:23 AM
esli232's Avatar Veteran
I think you're fine. I try to keep caffeine to a minimum, but even the migraine pills my OB prescribed me have caffeine in them.

December 2nd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think you are doing just fine. i think anything in excess isn't good for us, so i think a can of soda a day isn't hurting, there are other sodas a lot higher in caffeine

December 2nd, 2009, 12:01 PM
Max n Meghan's Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You're looking at 41 per can. You're fine! Just don't drink more than 4.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, *Kiliki*!Visit My Blog

December 2nd, 2009, 12:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think you're fine. I drink coffee almost everyday and I also drink soda's occassionally (mainly sierra mist, sprite and ginger ale). I take my prenatals and there have been no health risks or concerns to me or my baby.

Some people cant help it but to drink a soda, cup of coffee, smoke cigs, etc. Just try to also drink plenty of water as well.
December 2nd, 2009, 12:36 PM
CuteName's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd be more worried about the empty calories than the caffiene. I still have to have a cup of coffee a day to get moving. I've cut soda down to once a week or less.
December 2nd, 2009, 12:55 PM
DondraB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You are totally fine! I drink 2-3 cans a day....I didn't during the first trimester because it didn't sound good...but now I have to have a Dr Pepper everyday! If I go a day or 2 without one I start getting a very bad caffiene headache! The caffiene is better than being in pain!

December 2nd, 2009, 01:06 PM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
You're fine--I drink about 1/2 cup of coffee a day and I usually have two bite size chocolates a day.

Just don't go over the 200 mg/day....enjoy the soda, just drink a lot of water also.

I keep telling myself "Women have been having babies for hundreds of years" and a lot of them didn't have the medical advancement we have now...this helps calm my nerves (sometimes, lol).

December 2nd, 2009, 06:59 PM
shanna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been really bad about my caffeine intake lately. I'm trying to cut back. I did better in the 1st trimester but I have been having to have Coke daily. I just try to be sure and drink more water during the day to.
December 2nd, 2009, 07:51 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I've been bad lately... I need to watch when we go out to eat. I'll order a Coke and have it refilled like 3 or 4 times without thinking... Ugh... Luckily we don't eat out that often.
December 3rd, 2009, 05:02 AM
Occasionally I'll drink a Coke (which has 43 mg) which doesn't seem to effect the amount of movement I feel but I do try to watch them because of the sugar.

I do have to confess- I work at a coffee shop and it drives me crazy when pregnant women come in and get espresso based drinks. Eight ounces of coffee is what is considered safe- but that's regular coffee. Each shot of espresso has 300 mg so a mocha with 2 shots (which is what's in our small) has 3 times the amount recommended. We have some pregnant customers who get 4 shot drinks- one even after I explained the possible effects that much caffiene could have on her baby.

Sorry for the rant. Anyway, I say all that to say that your Dr. Pepper fix should be fine (unless your dr is worried about your blood sugar levels).

Levi Aaron- January 14, 2008
December 3rd, 2009, 05:23 AM
LisaBrown's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the other ladies, you should be just fine! I also have a coffee a day and I usually order it half regular, half decaf, so it's not even a full caffeinated coffee a day, that way if I feel like having a soda or some chocolate for a little treat later on in the day, I know I'm still well under the daily quota. And like Lovetheshoes said, women have been having babies since the begining of time and never knew any of this and still had healthy babies, so I don't think we need to worry as much as we often do!

December 3rd, 2009, 08:23 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I wouldn't worry. I drink a cup of regular (strong) coffee about 4-5 times a week. As long as you're not going overboard with the caffeine then it won't do anything. Maybe I'm just really easy going when I'm pregnant.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search